flyhi

Who Is the Worst U.S. President of the Modern Era?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Reply To

If Bush truly was that bad, he would have been impeached.... funny that piece of shit clinton, nearly was....

Clinton was impeached. Dec 19th, 1998. The Senate then over turned it in Feb of the next year, but history books will show that he was indeed impeached.

I don't think an impeachment gets overturned, I think an impeachemnt is just a political indictment and the political trial is at the senate, so in this case it was a finding of not guilty/not repsonsible. An impeachment is a political indictment, akin to a criminal indictment, but with a much lower standard of proof, a simple majority vs totality.

Right. Of course, if someone gets all their understanding of politics from Mary Matalin, they'll probably think that a partisan impeachment is the same thing as a criminal conviction :S Clinton was impeached (meaning they have a reason to pursue a conviction) by a partisan vote in the House (the Republicans voted in a straight-line partisan vote to impeach), but even the Republican-controlled House couldn't get the 2/3 necessary to convict. In both the House and Senate, not one Democrat voted for impeachment, nor conviction, a few Republicans also voted against it in the Senate. Party politics, nothing more.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

In Reply To

In Reply To

If Bush truly was that bad, he would have been impeached.... funny that piece of shit clinton, nearly was....

Clinton was impeached. Dec 19th, 1998. The Senate then over turned it in Feb of the next year, but history books will show that he was indeed impeached.

I don't think an impeachment gets overturned, I think an impeachemnt is just a political indictment and the political trial is at the senate, so in this case it was a finding of not guilty/not repsonsible. An impeachment is a political indictment, akin to a criminal indictment, but with a much lower standard of proof, a simple majority vs totality.

Right. Of course, if someone gets all their understanding of politics from Mary Matalin, they'll probably think that a partisan impeachment is the same thing as a criminal conviction :S Clinton was impeached (meaning they have a reason to pursue a conviction) by a partisan vote in the House (the Republicans voted in a straight-line partisan vote to impeach), but even the Republican-controlled House couldn't get the 2/3 necessary to convict. In both the House and Senate, not one Democrat voted for impeachment, nor conviction, a few Republicans also voted against it in the Senate. Party politics, nothing more.

That's what I wrote.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.....but even the Republican-controlled House couldn't get the 2/3 necessary to convict.

OOPS, you mean the senate. But yep, partisan politics, which is why no Bush impeachment early on. And to get one now would make the Dems look petty and ruin their chance to run the table in Nov. The R's would love an impeachment bid now.

Jimmy was a profundly good man...and a profoundly bad President.

My #2 would have to be W. I think he had good intentions but somewhere along the way things went into the crapper.

Yes, a person must have a twisted set of principles to play politics at that level. Jimmy was way too principled for our legislators too deal with.

He was the best man to be a leader amongst the bunch, but the worst candidate for "success" in the system. His goals and work ethic were top notch, but he was not willing to lie, cheat, and steal to reach them.

And people wonder why we end up with the candidates we have.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Ummm what about all of the American children, husbands, wifes, moms, dads, brothers & sisters that those camel kissing allah worshipping towel heads took from us? There have been some unfortunate casulaties in this war. But at least its targeted and we are not hi-jacking airplanes and flying them into known places of innocent people. I served our country once and would do it again in a heartbeat!

The killers were mostly Saudis, and they did not train in Iraq. W made the intelligence fit his agenda. For that he is either incompetent or intentionally deceptive. Anyone still denying that Iraq was a target of convenience has got their head stuck in the sand.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Oh no he didn't!! He did a shit job and attacked the wrong country. One that had fuck all to do with 11/9. He dropped the ball and continues to do so. He's incompetent and the blood of countless innocent people are on his hands.

Yep, it will go down as one of the biggest blown save opportunities in our history.

Could have led a very strong coalition into a new order. Instead we make even more enemies. Couldn't have fucked that up worse if he had wanted to.

If bush is so fucking brilliant why is even the GOP jumping ship? and to compare a blow job to the shit W is doing is just fucking silly. The latest polls show W is hovering around 25% and will surely go down as the worst president of modern times. Nixon might have been a crook but he did do a few good things fot thr country.

If bush is so fucking brilliant why is even the GOP jumping ship? and to compare a blow job to the shit W is doing is just fucking silly. The latest polls show W is hovering around 25% and will surely go down as the worst president of modern times. Nixon might have been a crook but he did do a few good things fot thr country.

Not sure why ur addressing this to me. I can't really argue that, I just think Fascist Ronnie started the mess, so he's the worst of that group, perhaps the worst of all times. Would Bush have been pres and been as bad w/o FR? Maybe, but as history shows, Reagan started it all. But I agree with you and angry McSame is following in the 3 stooges footsteps. I vote McSame for the old guy who keeps those pesky kids off the lawn.:D

Not sure why ur addressing this to me. I can't really argue that, I just think Fascist Ronnie started the mess, so he's the worst of that group, perhaps the worst of all times. Would Bush have been pres and been as bad w/o FR? Maybe, but as history shows, Reagan started it all. But I agree with you and angry McSame is following in the 3 stooges footsteps. I vote McSame for the old guy who keeps those pesky kids off the lawn.:D

Yes indeed. Reagan created Voodoo Economics, the idea that you spend what you want and just keep borrowing to pay for it. He racked up the largest debt increase in the history in the process, while pursuading everyone they were better off. Bush (43) is just a copycat.

Yes indeed. Reagan created Voodoo Economics, the idea that you spend what you want and just keep borrowing to pay for it. He racked up the largest debt increase in the history in the process, while pursuading everyone they were better off. Bush (43) is just a copycat.

Yep, and GHWB paid for Reagan's misdeeds. If GHWB had been alone in his presidency, rather than riding Reagan's coat tail, I think he would have been considered a great president. With his tax increase he started the recesion recovery that Clinton was credited for. It was Reagan's mess, but GHWB got the blame. It was Clnton's recovery, yet GHWB helped him start it off. And he was the only military guy worth talking about for the last 20-30 years, Reagan was a USO slut, GWB a VN coward, Clinton a draft dodger, so GWB was the only militarily honorable man we've had for some time, yet he is lost in Reagan's mess. Shit, the wall fell 4 months into GWB's term and he gets no credit, just crappy-drawers.

If Bush is an ass for blowing up Iraq, then why give Nixon a pass for blowing up Vietnam, as well as Cambodia?

When time passes and people can be objective, they'll find W did a few good things for country too, but that doesn't make up for the other either of them did.

I suspect a whole lot of people don't consider themselves better off right now, and GWB hasn't a chance in hell of pursuading them otherwise. The great miscommunicator.

"A mountain of debt...."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Carter was embarrassing as a president (revered as an ex-president).

I don't see any reverence, he's still embarassing.

Answering the "Worst Pres" question? with the people's short term memories, it'll always be the last one of the "other" party - whoever that is. Or even just the current guy, no matter who he is.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The R's would love an impeachment bid now.

Yeah - I wrote House when I should have wrote Senate. But you have an interesting point. Right now, the GOP must be telling Dubya he needs to "take one for the team", with McCain bashing him almost as much as Obama just to get votes. How much more interesting would it be if the Republicans pushed for an impeachment just to try to polarize the voting right?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The R's would love an impeachment bid now.

Yeah - I wrote House when I should have wrote Senate. But you have an interesting point. Right now, the GOP must be telling Dubya he needs to "take one for the team", with McCain bashing him almost as much as Obama just to get votes. How much more interesting would it be if the Republicans pushed for an impeachment just to try to polarize the voting right?

Yea, never thought of that, very interesting point. You'd see the dems voting against it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a R house member initiate that so as to distance themselves from the freak..... good observation.