RastaRicanAir

F*CKING D*CKLESS PIG COP stole my Swiss Army knife(Long/Legal advice needed)

I fact, skip the rant part if you want, but there's advice requested at the end.

So, at the culmination of my ultimate reggae legend music weekend, which I'll probably post more positively about later, I was driving home, feeling pretty good about life when I was pulled over and rousted by two uniformed douchebags. They nailed me after I U-turned to avoid what looked like a checkpoint, but obviously they couldn't have taken me anyway, because I wasn't visibly intoxicated. Just to show you what I was dealing with intellectually, when they went in to search the car, they noticed my copy of Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. The lead bitch commented on it aloud, to which his fat sidekick replied: "Isn't that the guy who was in Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield?"

They got me out of the car, had me assume the position, went through my pockets and pulled out the Swiss Army knife I've been carrying every day for the past 6 years: "What's this? I thought you said you didn't have any weapons. Did you lie to me?"
Me: "No, I don't consider that a weapon since I never used it against anybody."
Pig 1: "You mind if I take a look in your car?"
Me: "Well that's kind of a loaded question, but I guess I'd be unwise to say no."
Pig 2: Where are you coming from tonight?"
Me: Culture Room. I was at a reggae show (As if that wasn't the entire impetus behind their little picnic in the middle of the road.)
Pig 2: "I'm not a big reggae fan."
Me: "No, I wouldn't think you were."
Pig 2: "What's that?"
Me: "You just don't look like one."
Pig 2: "You ever kill anybody?"
Me: "Not to my knowledge, no."
Pig 2: "Not even in self defense?"
Me: "No. I'm generally a peaceful person. I try not to infringe on other people, so I don't get into those situations"
Pig 2: "What?!'
Me: "I said if I don't bother other people, they don't bother me."
Pig 2: "Are you a Rastafarian?"
Me: "No. I'm more of Buddhist."
Pig 2: "Buddhists aren't supposed to believe in drugs. They cloud the mind and the soul"
Me: "Well, maybe that's why I don't use them."

At which point Pig 1 pulls a pre-wrapped pink tablet out of my center console and holds it aloft:
"What's this?"
Me: "Uhhhh....I believe that's a Pepto Bismol."
Pig 2: "Looks like an Ecstacy tablet"
Me: "I really wouldn't know. But I believe it says Pepto-Bismol right on it."

And the conversation continued in that enriching fashion until Pig 1-visibly disapponted at not getting his rocks off by cuffing me- simply said: "Get out of here."

Me getting back in the car: "You guys are ever down south and you need some Yoga instruction look me up. It's great for relieving tension."

From Them: A priceless look I would have glady spent the night in jail for.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is:
1) They asked me if I knew why they pulled me over, I said "not really," and they never replied with a reason.
2) They never said I was driving erratically, and the u-turn, though blatant, wasn't prohibited.
3) They never gave any cause for searching me or the car
4) They never gave me so much as a warning and
5) I was four block away before I realized the cocksucker still had my pocket knife.
Mostly) That knife was a gift, and I want it back.

Unfortunately, I hadn't had the presence of mind to get names or badge numbers, and in fact since I wasn't in my own county, I'm not even sure if they were municipal or SD. but I'm pretty sure I could track them down if I was a big enough dick about it. Question for you legal types is: Do I have grounds to file a complaint against these badge-abusing pricks?
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

I dunno... you didn't get arrested or injured by the pigs, and I'm not sure they meant to keep the knife. How much was it when you bought it? I sympathize though, I've seen a couple of asshole cops with an attitude.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Cops took 2 full books of CDs from my car when I was a teenager. I was standing there while they searched it, saw them take the books, asked WHY they were taking the books (no response), asked if they could give them back (no response), and was arrested for zero tolerance (they said I smelled like booze even though I was just on my way home from work and didn't drink at all). They didn't give me any sobriety tests or anything and when I blew at the station, it showed that I hadn't been drinking at all. I didn't even get an apology...or my CDs back...and they had already had my car impounded. I hate cops.

You gave them permission to search your car so they need no probable cause. But you could have said no.

They don't really need probable cause to pat you down, as like homeland security, it's for everyone's safety. ;)

And yes, they stole your knife . . .

NickD :)

Many check points have to meet certin standards and be well documented, this means that all the police involved that night are listed somewhere.
call the station, ask for the highest in charge person you can speak to at that time (avoid the confusion of going up the chain of command) and CLEARLY explain that you where stopped at the check point, state the policeman held your pocket knife and when realesed you and the officer forgot about the knife.. AVOID all the story line and take part of the responsiblity of this mistake and you will have better luck getting your knife back.

Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Cops took 2 full books of CDs from my car when I was a teenager. I was standing there while they searched it, saw them take the books, asked WHY they were taking the books (no response), asked if they could give them back (no response), and was arrested for zero tolerance (they said I smelled like booze even though I was just on my way home from work and didn't drink at all). They didn't give me any sobriety tests or anything and when I blew at the station, it showed that I hadn't been drinking at all. I didn't even get an apology...or my CDs back...and they had already had my car impounded. I hate cops.

These are the people that some folks feel should be the only ones who have the right to own guns. :S

I'm sorry you folks had these bad experiences with cops. I, myself, have never had other than relatively respectful treatment by them.

I think that although a reason wasn't given to Rastaricanair for being pulled over, you stated it in your post: you turned around rather than go through a DUI checkpoint. That makes you look, to them, like you're under the influence and trying to not get nailed for it. [:/]

I think it's shitty in the extreme that they were such assholes to you, and even worse that they stole your property after implying that a Swiss Army Knife was a big ol' nasty "weapon." >:( (They'd love my waved Spyderco Endura, then!)

I am sorry, I have no legal advice to offer you, except perhaps to go down to the local police station in that area and attempt to make a complaint. Also, don't drive around in a condition where you feel it's prudent to turn around to avoid a checkpoint--that makes you a marked man.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Many check points have to meet certin standards and be well documented, this means that all the police involved that night are listed somewhere.
call the station, ask for the highest in charge person you can speak to at that time (avoid the confusion of going up the chain of command) and CLEARLY explain that you where stopped at the check point...

"I U-turned to avoid what looked like a checkpoint"

He did not get stopped "at" the checkpoint. He saw the checkpoint and for whatever reason did not want to go through it--which, I grant, is legal, although obviously it makes the cops suspicious that you are just the kind of driver they are trying to take off the roads so you don't kill someone because you're inebriated.
Imaginations on fire

You attempted to circumvent the check pint. Strike one
You lied about havig a weapon Strike two
You gave them permission to search your car. Your OUT.

You can get your knife back and should but next time THINK.:S:S:S

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

1) They asked me if I knew why they pulled me over, I said "not really," and they never replied with a reason. - if i remember isnt there a new bill signed a year or so ago saying the cops could pull you over and detain you without cause or something to that effect? I agree it is messed they took your knife.. not like you are walking around with a rambo knife in your shorts or something. I'm not a cop either so my opinion is pretty much worthless
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

You attempted to circumvent the check pint. Strike one

Heh, "check pint" -- maybe that is what they were lookin' for! :D

You lied about havig a weapon Strike two

That's bullshit. I don't know how big the SAK was, but such an ordinary pocket knife, when not being used in an aggressive manner, is NOT a "weapon".
Do you walk into a kitchen and marvel at all the "weapons" that surround you? 8-inch knives, etc.?

You gave them permission to search your car. Your OUT.

Yes, but perhaps he knew of how badly they can fuck with you when you have the audacity to assert your rights against unreasonable search.

You can get your knife back and should but next time THINK.

That is not easy when two cops have you standing there with visions of spending the night in jail dancing in your head...
Imaginations on fire

Why did you give consent to search?

Before you get mad, actually spend some time learning about what your state's laws actually are (not from stoner friends and not from TV) and also learn what your rights truly are (again, not from friends and not from TV).

Once you understand what you've actually got and what you're against, then you'll probably notice that those check points are typically setup in such a spot where you can not legally make a U-turn, even if its not specifically prohibited by signs. So there will be PC for a stop. You'll also notice that you gave consent to search. Even if you hadn't, police officers can "terry frisk" you or the immediate area that you are seated in, if they have a reasonable suspicion that you may be carrying a weapon. Notice I did not say search, I said terry frisk and notice I didn't say probable cause, I said reasonable suspicion.

Does it sound like those officers treated you with kidd gloves? Nope. Sounds like they used your own ignorance of your rights and the law against you. That's not illegal, that's just unfortunate on your behalf!

So educate yourself and then assert yourself. Even if you assert your rights and the officer does wrong and you end up in jail, then you have a money making situation on your hands once you talk to your lawyer.

Even ten years ago officers would get away with stuff. Not so much anymore. In fact the culture has turned against officers and even good officers that operated with in the bounds of the law are disciplined or fired for things that simply "look bad."

Could you complain? Sure. People complain about all sorts of really stupid stuff all the time. People have complained about how officers walk. People have complained about officer's hair cuts or mustaches.

So complain to the officer's supervisor. If its legitimate then the officers will be disciplined.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Unfortunatley, you gave them probable cause to pull you over. You avoided a checkpoint. If you have nothing to hide- go through the checkpoint. I worked for a police department- trust me- they are looking for people to avoid the checkpoint. That is reason enough alone to pull you over.
I agree that a swiss army knife is not a weapon- however when asked if you had any weapons you should have responded "No- but am carrying a Swiss Army pocket knife that is in my *whatever* pocket." Almost a gaurantee that they would have not taken it.
Finally- you allowed them to search your car. And wjile although it sounds like they were idiots- Im sure your responses to them had alittle bit of attitude behind them.
As far as getting the knife back- I highly doubt it. I would assume that they did not collect it as evidence- so it probably went into one of thier pockets. And I'm sure they're not going to own up to it.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

The last time I was pulled over, it was about 3 a.m., and I had just rolled through the stop sign at the edge of the Walmart parking lot at the street. I happened to pull out in front of a marked Palm Beach County Sheriff's cruiser.

He hit the lights, and I pulled into the lot of a 7-11 gas station (which was where I was headed anyway).

I stopped the car and shut it off; I reached up and turned on my overhead dome light; I sat there patiently with his light blasting me in my rear-view mirror, with both of my hands on the steering wheel at 11:30 and 12:30 positions.

When he approached, I was polite and he was businesslike. He had a full-on tactical vest load including a TASER stuck over his abdomen.

He got my license and other stuff after I informed him I'd have to open the glove compartment to get them. He said OK, so I did it, and slowly.

I didn't get a chance to give him my, "I'd really appreciate a break, officer" speech before he turned around and went back to his car.

He came back a short time later, and handed me back my materials but no ticket. He said, "This is your lucky night. That's an expensive ticket you could have had." (meaning for running the stop sign, which he'd really have had to be a dick to give me, since I had NOT cut him off, or even made him have to slow down, although he played it up like he had. I didn't argue the point. I save that shit for SC.)

Before he left, he said THANK YOU to me for having my hands on the steering wheel when he approached! :o

He must have actually understood that I was doing what a cop hopes a subject will do during a traffic stop: be predictable, calm, and visible.

But it was amazing, he actually thanked me specifically for that.

Imaginations on fire

i just figured you had been hanging out with my man .....he has a hate - hate thing with cops...esp. lately:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

You're going to have to explain how you put your hands at 11:30 and 12:30 on the steering wheel please....:S

Left hand between the 11 and 12 positions, right hand between the 12 and 1 positions. Did I not describe that right? Hey, man, it was just approximate, trying to say that they were up high on the steering wheel to be obvious to the deputy. And hey, you can't argue with the fact that it worked. He fuckin' thanked me! (and let me go with no ticket!)

I've not gotten tickets for doing the same thing...I think some of them - although very few these days - are actually ok guys.

I've met my share who didn't seem to have much upstairs, but then I've also never been given a really hard time. Of course, I've never behaved like a real schmuck right there to a cop's face, either. Behaving correctly for the social situation can do wonders for the "cop problems" that a lot of people have, you know.

To start with, I begin to have problems being empathetic to the OP's circumstance because wasn't it implied or stated that the reason for turning around was having been in a "party situation" prior to driving to the checkpoint? You won't catch me condoning any impaired driving. I could cite you a litany of good people who have been killed down here in the very recent past by drunken or drugged drivers.
Imaginations on fire

Since there is some confusion, here's how you get pulled over.

Pull to the right of the roadway as soon as practical and safe to do so. Do not just slam on your brakes. Pull off the major roadway and stop quickly, not behind any buildings or in a hidden area. That sets off danger signals for the officer. If on the highway, put your car in the grass a bit, give the officer room to safely move up to your vehicle.

Now, once you're stopped. Put the vehicle in park, turn the radio off and take your foot off the brake. If you have a loud car (e.g. truck with a big muffler, turn the vehicle off). Leaving your foot on the brake means that your brake lights are shining and the officer doesn't know if the vehicle is still in gear. If its night time, have your dome light on. Have your window down. All of the above things can be accomplished as you're pulling safely to the right. Once you're done, stay still. Hang up your damned cellphone. You can call them back later. Do not just pull it from your ear and continue the conversation after the officer leaves your window. That officer doesn't know if you're calling for reinforcements. Sound odd? It happens. A LOT!

Do NOT start looking for your license or insurance. Stay still. Put your hands on the steering wheel with your fingers open and wait for the officer to approach your vehicle.

Once the officer is there, call him/her by the appropriate title (officer, trooper, deputy, etc. Its not hard to tell by the uniform the officer is wearing). Be honest and lay off the lame excuse as to why you were going 15mph over or why you rolled the stop sign. Trust me, that officer has heard them all and unless you've got someone doing CPR in the back seat your lame excuse doesn't matter. That officer already knows if you're getting a ticket by the time you're pulled over. However, being courteous and respectful has been known to get more warnings than a lame excuse.

After the officer has started the standard 7-step approach, tell the officer where you're license is and insurance is and get it. Don't have your insurance buried in a ream of crap paper in your glove box. Once every thing is said and done, do not argue with the officer on the side of the road. That will accomplish nothing but upset the officer. I promise you that while the officer was behind your vehicle or your vehicle was in sight that a minimum of 4 different transportation code violations were committed. You have one ticket, take it and leave. Contact the appropriate court, get your traffic lawyer and beat the ticket the right way.

Things not to do: Do not get out of your vehicle unless directed to by the officer. First of all its dangerous for you just from passing traffic. Two, when you get out, the officer does not know your intention. Are you going to run? Are you armed? Are you wanting to come back to the officer while he's still getting out of his car and do harm? Are you just an idiot? If you do as such and the officer calls from his vehicle to stay in yours, then do so. Don't get angry because you made a mistake.

Do not kept talking on your cellphone. Do not have your radio cranked up. Do not start digging for your information until the officer comes to your window.

Basically think about what things look like from behind your vehicle and be courteous/respectful. That will get you much much farther than any radar detector and any excuse, any day of the week.

Remember, traffic stops, although they may seem routine and annoying to you, is one of the most dangerous things that officer will do all day. So not only are you nervous because you might get a ticket, that officer is a little keyed up until first contact is made and he/she can relax or escalate.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dave, Dave, Dave,

We've covered this before.;);):ph34r::ph34r:
1st. Put the gun under the seat.
2nd Put on you seatbelt.
3rd If you have time, and only if you have time finish your beer.

Okay, you ALL know I'm jokikng rihgt? I am....

Sorry that I have to spell that out for some.

Doug.

I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill

I fact, skip the rant part if you want, but there's advice requested at the end.

So, at the culmination of my ultimate reggae legend music weekend, which I'll probably post more positively about later, I was driving home, feeling pretty good about life when I was pulled over and rousted by two uniformed douchebags. They nailed me after I U-turned to avoid what looked like a checkpoint, but obviously they couldn't have taken me anyway, because I wasn't visibly intoxicated. Just to show you what I was dealing with intellectually, when they went in to search the car, they noticed my copy of Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. The lead bitch commented on it aloud, to which his fat sidekick replied: "Isn't that the guy who was in Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield?"

They got me out of the car, had me assume the position, went through my pockets and pulled out the Swiss Army knife I've been carrying every day for the past 6 years: "What's this? I thought you said you didn't have any weapons. Did you lie to me?"
Me: "No, I don't consider that a weapon since I never used it against anybody."
Pig 1: "You mind if I take a look in your car?"
Me: "Well that's kind of a loaded question, but I guess I'd be unwise to say no."
Pig 2: Where are you coming from tonight?"
Me: Culture Room. I was at a reggae show (As if that wasn't the entire impetus behind their little picnic in the middle of the road.)
Pig 2: "I'm not a big reggae fan."
Me: "No, I wouldn't think you were."
Pig 2: "What's that?"
Me: "You just don't look like one."
Pig 2: "You ever kill anybody?"
Me: "Not to my knowledge, no."
Pig 2: "Not even in self defense?"
Me: "No. I'm generally a peaceful person. I try not to infringe on other people, so I don't get into those situations"
Pig 2: "What?!'
Me: "I said if I don't bother other people, they don't bother me."
Pig 2: "Are you a Rastafarian?"
Me: "No. I'm more of Buddhist."
Pig 2: "Buddhists aren't supposed to believe in drugs. They cloud the mind and the soul"
Me: "Well, maybe that's why I don't use them."

At which point Pig 1 pulls a pre-wrapped pink tablet out of my center console and holds it aloft:
"What's this?"
Me: "Uhhhh....I believe that's a Pepto Bismol."
Pig 2: "Looks like an Ecstacy tablet"
Me: "I really wouldn't know. But I believe it says Pepto-Bismol right on it."

And the conversation continued in that enriching fashion until Pig 1-visibly disapponted at not getting his rocks off by cuffing me- simply said: "Get out of here."

Me getting back in the car: "You guys are ever down south and you need some Yoga instruction look me up. It's great for relieving tension."

From Them: A priceless look I would have glady spent the night in jail for.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is:
1) They asked me if I knew why they pulled me over, I said "not really," and they never replied with a reason.
2) They never said I was driving erratically, and the u-turn, though blatant, wasn't prohibited.
3) They never gave any cause for searching me or the car
4) They never gave me so much as a warning and
5) I was four block away before I realized the cocksucker still had my pocket knife.
Mostly) That knife was a gift, and I want it back.

Unfortunately, I hadn't had the presence of mind to get names or badge numbers, and in fact since I wasn't in my own county, I'm not even sure if they were municipal or SD. but I'm pretty sure I could track them down if I was a big enough dick about it. Question for you legal types is: Do I have grounds to file a complaint against these badge-abusing pricks?

Welcome to the NWO. Sucks doesn't?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

These are the people that some folks feel should be the only ones who have the right to own guns. :S

I'm sorry you folks had these bad experiences with cops. I, myself, have never had other than relatively respectful treatment by them.

I think that although a reason wasn't given to Rastaricanair for being pulled over, you stated it in your post: you turned around rather than go through a DUI checkpoint. That makes you look, to them, like you're under the influence and trying to not get nailed for it. [:/]

I think it's shitty in the extreme that they were such assholes to you, and even worse that they stole your property after implying that a Swiss Army Knife was a big ol' nasty "weapon." >:( (They'd love my waved Spyderco Endura, then!)

I am sorry, I have no legal advice to offer you, except perhaps to go down to the local police station in that area and attempt to make a complaint. Also, don't drive around in a condition where you feel it's prudent to turn around to avoid a checkpoint--that makes you a marked man.
You need to change you your name to bird DICK. Ya think maybe he didn't want to sit for and hr. burning fuel at a NAZI checkpoint?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.