All_Wrapped_Up

First Cutaway/ First Canopy Wrap

Yep, DZ on speed dial. No gloves that jump. During jump, the phone is wedged firmly between my boobies which are snugly contained in a sports bra. Once under canopy, phone wedges quite nicely under helmet for hands free operation (other than speed dialing the DZ).

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

firmly between my boobies

Ummmm...Boobies. :)
Wait...I was thinking of something...Oh yeah, once you start doing a lot of CRW, you will develop plenty of confidence in the opening characteristics of your reserve. Practice makes perfect. ;)

Kevin

Looks like I will have to buy a sports bra or else figure out how to put a cell phone inside my boxer shorts. That means installing another zipper separate from the main zipper on jump suit also.

After reviewing FAR 91.15, I still think a lanyard is a darn good idea for keeping the damn phone "on board" at all times after you unstow it from its secret place in the bra. Especially so given that, in the rare event of "bombs away", the source of the missile would be exactly traced to you. This assumes that some farmer gets hit in the head by the cell phone, etc. admittedly low likelihood but not zero.

JTL

Looks like I will have to buy a sports bra or else figure out how to put a cell phone inside my boxer shorts. That means installing another zipper separate from the main zipper on jump suit also.

Remember, potato in front. :D

... I still think a lanyard is a darn good idea ...

Lanyards, skydiving gear, and CRW? Bad juju. Keep the cell phone in an inside pocket and wait until you're on the ground to call.

Bob

She's not usually on the phone under canopy... actually I've probably only seen her use her phone a dozen times all summer long. This was by far an exception and the phone was planned for use in an off field landing situation.

I guess it'd be a pretty pathetic thing if you just can't stop texting no matter what you're doing...

"My landing pattern can wait... jimmy just broke up with alice!" :D
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

That's the FIRST time I used the phone under canopy (Yes, I'll pick up beer on the way to the DZ tomorrow), and only because I wasn't sure if there was someone going in under the mass of fabric Kyle was following. The potential for someone needing medical care and making sure the DZ knew about it outweighed the risk of dropping my phone on a groundhog or something. Fortunately I was wrong about Ryan being under a canopy clearly having issues. I like being wrong when it comes to that!

***I'm curious. Is there a reason that you feel that you must be anonymous to this group ? ***

From what I understand it is because of being flamed
on the fourms for getting a coach rating with the bare requirements needed to get the rating.[:/]

Kyle is a heads up young jumper and worked his ass off in one season to get his "A" and his coach rating.
He earned it by doing the work! :)
Unlike many others I know who just sign a check and get a rating without doing the work to get it.
Or "get it" and then don't do the required work to keep it, but instead find it easier to write a check to a buddy and get their shit signed off year after year having never trained a class or done any working jumps as required by USPA to keep the ratings.:S

So before we jump on some FNG's shit about getting a rating, they REALLY worked for to earn, we need to keep in mind that everyone had to start out as a FNG.:P

For those of you who write your checks for a rating, your a fake and a fraud>:(, I would put kyle up against you any day of the week.

Those of you who take the checks and sign off peoples paper work, your a disgrace to the sport and to the instructional rating program and need to be stripped of your ability to continue to do so.>:(
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

The only thing I would add is that after Jumper A cut away, my canopy started flying normally with his main entangled with my lines. I grabbed his risers and started unwrapping them from around my lines. About 15 seconds later, his canopy started catching air and the whole thing went in to a spin that just got faster and faster. I chopped it after a couple revolutions.

To add to Wendy's excellent explanation, another reason for the high/orbiting jumper to cut away first is that he is usually the one that went through the lines and is holding the knot. Once he cuts away chances are that the whole thing clears.

Having said that, attached are two of my exciting moments in CReW. Can you work out where I am? I had to dig these up and scan them in for the occasion, since they are not quite releasable to the public... If you want more ask Wendy for a copy of her WrapDVD.

Imagine how much adrenaline is in those pictures :-)

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

Hell, just ask Chuck for a copy of our last 8-way Speed practice. Jump #1 had the pilot cutting away after getting choked out, after that is was just fun-wrap-fun.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Hell, just ask Chuck for a copy of our last 8-way Speed practice. Jump #1 had the pilot cutting away after getting choked out, after that is was just fun-wrap-fun.

Was that the weekend in Chambersburg? I was there and saw it from the ground. I have a nice series of action shots of the catching of the free bag.

A lot of us are looking forward to seeing that video. I hope you bring a copy to Eloy. ;)

Kevin

Yeah, there was a collective ... "where the F did that freefaller come from?" The video is a little far away but seeing the piloting canopy suddenly collapse and disappear is definitely a sight.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher