CanuckInUSA

Tax Revolt

If one person does not pay their taxes, it is easy for the government(s) to go after them. But what if millions and millions of people stopped paying their taxes? This would require the cooperation of the corporations to withhold the payroll taxes, so it is likely something that would never happen. But if it did, do you think the corrupt politicians around the world would take notice of our displeasure of how they run things? Would they change if their gravy train was all of a sudden cut off?

I know there is tons of crap going on in the USA right now, but there is just as much crap going on with your northern neighbour. I can't think of a better way to send a message to these idiots than a massive tax revolt. They can't put us all in jail. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

If everyone claimed as many exemptions as possible on their W2's so that they get the most out of their paychecks, THEN do what you suggested, that'll fuck them up worse. :D

Hell, I figure the IRS can't go after all of us, eh? :ph34r:

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Who goes first?

Problem is, it would never work without the help of the corporations to withhold all those payroll taxes and it's one of those scenarios where everyone would need to do it and not just a small minority. But could you imagine how freaked these corrupt politicians would feel if all of a sudden their gravy train was severed.

So who would pay for all those goodies that Canadians expect from their government.. healthcare and all the other stuff has to be paid for by someone!!!!

Hmmm ... you know I do NOT support the LIEberal Party of Canada and right now they are proposing introducing an insane (IMHO) carbon tax at a time when huge chunks of the country are facing tough economic times.

In therory universal healthcare is a good idea, but Canada is in no position to be bragging about the state of our healthcare. When I lived in the USA yes I needed insurance to do this, but when I wanted to see a doctor I got on the phone, scheduled an appointment, showed up at my designated time, waited no more than 10-15 minutes, was shown to the examining room, waiting maybe another 5-10 minutes and presto a doctor is in the room addressing whatever it is I needed.

In Canada I can not even get a doctor to see me. I have to show up to a clinic, wait for 6-8 hours, hope to hell that my number is called, if I am lucky I get to see a doctor, the doctor doesn't give a damn about me (they are pissed off at their poor working conditions), they put me on some dumb waiting list that could take months (or years) to address my issue. So you tell me. Are my tax dollars really doing anything? What value am I getting from my taxes when I can't even get basic healthcare.

Both systems are FUBAR'ed and both countries have scum for politicians. Cutting off their gravy train at the pork barrels (even if it was only for a week or two) is the only way these morons will wake up.

>But what if millions and millions of people stopped paying their taxes?

The government would not be able to pay its bills. Air traffic would stop, highways would be shut down, the military would collapse. Any country that tried that would collapse economically and then become easy pickings for any of a number of enemies.

>They can't put us all in jail.

True. But you can destroy your (not their) country if you choose.

If you want to pay less taxes, spend less money. That means be willing to cut YOUR favorite programs as well as everyone else's. That's the step that most people cannot make.

>But what if millions and millions of people stopped paying their taxes?

The government would not be able to pay its bills. Air traffic would stop, highways would be shut down, the military would collapse. Any country that tried that would collapse economically and then become easy pickings for any of a number of enemies.

>They can't put us all in jail.

True. But you can destroy your (not their) country if you choose.

If you want to pay less taxes, spend less money. That means be willing to cut YOUR favorite programs as well as everyone else's. That's the step that most people cannot make.

Well, the government could just print the money to pay its bills, thereby devaluing the currency, and having much the same effect as taxation.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, the government could just print the money to pay its bills, thereby devaluing the currency, and having much the same effect as taxation.

Except of course the capital that fled the country would get off Scot free (is that an ethnic slur?). All mobile capital would quickly follow suit.

Except of course the capital that fled the country would get off Scot free (is that an ethnic slur?). All mobile capital would quickly follow suit.

As long as it's still in the form of US currency, it would still be devalued.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!