Butters

In Miami, Spanish Becoming Primary Language

Stupid fucked up shit. Next thing we know, southern Florida will become North Cuba, southern Texas will become Texico, and southern California will become North Mexico.

ENGLISH was the language of our founding fathers. LEARN IT, OR GET THE FUCK OUT.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

"The Anglo population is leaving," said Juan Clark, a sociology professor at Miami Dade College. "One of the reactions is to emigrate toward the north. They resent the fact that (an American) has to learn Spanish in order to have advantages to work. If one doesn't speak Spanish, it's a disadvantage."

On most employment forms, it states that you must be bi-lingual. If you are not, you do not get hired.

What happens? Non-Spanish-speakers do not get hired. So, if you only speak English, it is nearly impossible to get a job in Miami.

It is not accidental or unplanned. If you are not Hispanic, but speak fluent Spanish, you won't get the job for another reason.

Non-Cubans are leaving because they cannot get jobs.
(That and the crime rate)

ENGLISH was the language of our founding fathers. LEARN IT, OR GET THE FUCK OUT.

I'm sure the Native Americans would agree.

Populations move and language changes. Always been that way since the dawn of time.

I feel bad for all the kids whose parents don't make them learn spanish and force them to speak english at home when most of their community interactions are in spanish.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Populations move and language changes. Always been that way since the dawn of time.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think anyone is saying that English should not be taught or learned. I also think it should be declared our national language, but it's time for Americans to wake up and realize that learning a second language is extremely important in this day and age. Like you said populations and languages change, either you adapt or you're left behind.

I was stationed at Homestead AFB in the mid 1970's and it was already like that. I believe most of the people doing business down there are multi-lingual. I think more americans should try learning another language, its good for you.

Article

Thoughts, opinions, etc...

That article is crap sensationalism, full of half truths. Reality is that my grandmother is 91, came to this country at 50, and will never speak fluent English. My other grandparents had a similar story but are no longer with us. My parents, aunts and uncles and pretty much all my family from that generation speaks English with an accent because they were all teenagers to young adults when they came here. My sisters, me and cousins all speak perfect English, because we were all raised in the U.S., even if we weren't all born here.

There is nothing special about my family. It is the typical Cuban family. I should know I grew up around it. Making a statement that the crime in the Miami-Dade is somehow the fault of the Cubans is a stupid ignorant statement. If you were from the area or looked a little deeper into the stats you would find that crimes in that area are more likely in Opa Locka, Liberty City or Carrol city (black area's Black Anglo-Americans, not White Cubans like the majority of Miami-Dade)

In fact the areas and income levels don't get much better in the rest of the U.S. then they are in Kendal or Coral Gables.

If it hurts your feelings that when you go into a Cuban bakery there, people like me will most likely be talking in Spanish, too fucking bad! This is a free country. The fact is the majority of the time the person working there will gladly speak in English for you, if you so need them to. And if for some unforseen reason there is not another person working there that does speak English (which is extremely rare), then someone just like me would be happy to translate, unless of course you are an asshole about it. In that case, you will most likely be told to get on your car and drive north into Broward county.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

me too...Latinas are HOT!

Same thing is happening in Central Florida for that matter. Spanish signs are the top billed ones in stores. I hear more Spanglish than anything. Everywhere. Most of the time I'm good with it ... until you run into someone biased either way.
I do think cultures have been better served by adapting - and keeping their heritage at the same time. We are a melting pot....but these days it seems politically incorrect to require people to change.[:/]

If it hurts your feelings that when you go into a Cuban bakery there, people like me will most likely be talking in Spanish, too fucking bad! This is a free country.

Is the bakery located in Cuba? No. Then it isn't a Cuban bakery. As far as I'm concerned, a multilingual society is a step backwards ... it causes communication issues and wastes resources.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

If it hurts your feelings that when you go into a Cuban bakery there, people like me will most likely be talking in Spanish, too fucking bad! This is a free country.

Is the bakery located in Cuba? No. Then it isn't a Cuban bakery. As far as I'm concerned, a multilingual society is a step backwards ... it causes communication issues and wastes resources.

I see so the German, Italian, Mexican and all other bakery's located in the U.S. are now to be referred to be referred to as American Bakery's. Should there be no more French or Chinese Restaurants either?

I think you are missing the point. I am not in favor of making English not the official language, and I don't believe Cubans in general are either. I am also not in favor of forcing anybody to learn other languages. But damn it, its people right to do so if they wish and to communicate with others as they wish too.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Communications issues, fair enough. Waste of resources, I'm not so sure. A Spanish-speaking American business can do business more easily with a hell of a lot more people than just the Cubans at a local bakery. It opens the Spanish-speaking world up to easier trade and more profit.

I'm not sure exactly how you'd measure the value of bilingualism in a cost-benefit sort of way, but I'd be suprised if it turned out to be a waste.

If it hurts your feelings that when you go into a Cuban bakery there, people like me will most likely be talking in Spanish, too fucking bad! This is a free country that doesn't have an official language. The fact is the majority of the time the person working there will gladly speak in English for you, if you so need them to.

There, I fixed it for ya! :D

By the way, I agree with you.

Personally, I think kids would be well served to be taught a couple foreign languages early on in school, while it is still easy to learn. Being monolingual is only going to become a bigger handicap as time goes on.

Besides, it's not as if one day there were no Spanish speakers in Miami, and when they woke up the next day 58% of them spoke the language. The English speaking monolingual residents have had plenty of time to learn some Spanish.

I wish I knew more than survival Spanish, but I'm grateful that I know that much.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I see so the German, Italian, Mexican and all other bakery's located in the U.S. are now to be referred to be referred to as American Bakery's. Should there be no more French or Chinese Restaurants either?

They are American restaurants that serve German, Italian, Mexican, French, Chinese, etc.. food.

I think you are missing the point. I am not in favor of making English not the official language, and I don't believe Cubans in general are either. I am also not in favor of forcing anybody to learn other languages. But damn it, its people right to do so if they wish and to communicate with others as they wish too.

I think you are missing the point. A multilingual society is a step backwards ... it causes communication issues and wastes resources.

Communications issues, fair enough. Waste of resources, I'm not so sure. A Spanish-speaking American business can do business more easily with a hell of a lot more people than just the Cubans at a local bakery. It opens the Spanish-speaking world up to easier trade and more profit.

I'm not sure exactly how you'd measure the value of bilingualism in a cost-benefit sort of way, but I'd be suprised if it turned out to be a waste.

You don't believe it wastes any resources for the government to have to print material, hire employees, etc... in multiple languages verse a single language?

I think you are missing the point. A multilingual society is a step backwards ... it causes communication issues and wastes resources.

You've convinced me. We need an official language in the US. Considering Spanish is the most commonly spoken language in the world spoken natively in more countries than any other language, in the name of maximum global efficiency, we should select Spanish.

¡Viva la Español!

(Mandarin is the most commonly spoken language in the world.)

You've convinced me. We need an official language in the US. Considering Spanish is the most commonly spoken language in the world, in the name of maximum efficiency, we should select Spanish.

¡Viva la Español!

I would prefer English (since the Declaration of Independence and Constitution are written in English). However, it would be better to choose the most common language in the world than the most convenient language.

I would prefer English (since the Declaration of Independence and Constitution are written in English). However, it would be better to choose the most common language in the world than the most convenient language.

See my corrected post.

See my corrected post.

Either way, a single language should be chosen because multiple languages will hamper society.

>A multilingual society is a step backwards . . . .

Monolingual societies become insular, cannot adapt easily to change and are not as competitive on the world scene. Typically they have a distorted view of the rest of the world because they are not as able to communicate with cultures different than their own. It's also somewhat indicative of people who aren't very smart, and thus ends up with that stigma attached to it.

I was stationed at Homestead AFB in the mid 1970's and it was already like that. I believe most of the people doing business down there are multi-lingual. I think more americans should try learning another language, its good for you.

So what about those of us who speak French as a 2nd language? Doesn't that count as bi-lingual?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You don't believe it wastes any resources for the government to have to print material, hire employees, etc... in multiple languages verse a single language?

Well, look at it the other way. If you've a Spanish-speaking potential workforce going untapped, surely it would be a waste not to get them working, earning money, paying taxes and stimulating the economy. I'd be suprised if that was outweighed by the cost of translating and printing documents.