JohnRich

Airport-style scanners on the streets

London:

"Police are to use hundreds of airport-style and hand-held weapon detectors in the crackdown on knife crime.

"Teams of 15 officers will be deployed across the 10 boroughs in London that have recorded the most knife crime. Officers would be deployed in areas blighted by stabbings to stop and search teenagers suspected of carrying weapons.

"Officers will use contentious Section 60 powers to enforce effective 'no-go' areas for people carrying knives. The powers enable officers to stop people and search them without the need to have "reasonable suspicion" that they are engaged in wrong doing..."
Source: Evening Standard

And what happens if you refuse to be scanned?

If you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, then what's the problem:P

I MUST SEE YOUR PAPERS... You can't make statements like that without the right papers!!!!! :P
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Then you'll probably be arrested for refusing to behave like a frickin sheep with no rights. Baaaa! That's what gulag's are for.

Don't you Brits worry about "profiling" over there. Heck, America is so sensitive to that stupid crap that instead of just searching the people that actually look like criminals, we also search little old grandmas. Of course, that pisses off the innocent grandma's, but it's supposed to make the real criminals feel so much better to know that they aren't being singled out for this unconstitutional treatment. And it's of utmost importance not to hurt the feelings of criminals. So grandma and all the other honest people can just go screw themselves!

But hell, at least in the U.S. they ain't accosting the grandma's out on the streets yet.

London:

"Police are to use hundreds of airport-style and hand-held weapon detectors in the crackdown on knife crime.

"Teams of 15 officers will be deployed across the 10 boroughs in London that have recorded the most knife crime. Officers would be deployed in areas blighted by stabbings to stop and search teenagers suspected of carrying weapons.

"Officers will use contentious Section 60 powers to enforce effective 'no-go' areas for people carrying knives. The powers enable officers to stop people and search them without the need to have "reasonable suspicion" that they are engaged in wrong doing..."
Source: Evening Standard

if you refuse to be scanned that would give reasonable suspicion for the Police to hand search you.
When I first heard this idea I also thought it was terrible John, but you have to look at the scenario in which London (and the UK) finds itself.
We are loosing more teenagers in London alone than we are troops in Afghanistan and Iraq combined at the moment. Something has to be done as so for that reason I support this move.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Don't you Brits worry about "profiling" over there. Heck, America is so sensitive to that stupid crap that instead of just searching the people that actually look like criminals, we also search little old grandmas.

Its a contentious issue over here as well, especially in London where crime figures show that the majority of crime is committed by young black men. Still when I consider all the facts I can only come to one conclusion...Fuck em. Until the majority of crime isn't committed by young black men it only makes sense that young black men are searched proportionally more than women in their forties.
I don't like it when I get stopped at the airport at least twice every week and asked to remove my shoes but guess what? A bunch of fuck nuggets that also have arabic names, and are the same colour as me have been trying to kill people on airplanes. So until said fuck nuggets stop, I understand that I will continuously be stopped, made to remove most of my clothing and shoes and have my property swabbed for explosive residue.
If young black men don't like being stopped and searched all the time then they need to sort out their community so that they stop committing crime.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Is it legal to walk around the streets of America with one of those hidden on your person?
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Is it legal to walk around the streets of America with one of those hidden on your person?

I've heard that undetectable knives are illegal in California. It turns out that many (most?) ceramic knife mfrs. intentionally put enough metal in their knives to set off detectors. Must be a strip molded inside the handle or something. Also, there are scanners available that can detect ceramics. Anyway, in general there is little restriction on carrying knives in the US. We prefer to kill each other with guns:S

Something I didn't understand about the article was wheter or not they could scan someone without probable cause, or if scanning was considered the same thing as a physical search. I assume they can't just grab people walking down the street at random and physically search them.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Under UK law the person to be searched could only be be asked to go through the scanner if they refuse however then that would give the Police reasonable cause for suspicion that the individual was carrying a weapon and so they could then search them by hand.
The scanners could also be placed in such a way that the person had to walk through them to enter a Tube station for example, by walking through the scanner that would give implied consent under the law so long as the scanner was not concealed and notices were on the scanner or locality saying wahet the scanner was for.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca