rushmc

Supreme Court Upholds Indiana photo voter ID law

so is there any forms of aproved ID that people can get in the state at no cost ? or is it now a price to pay to vote ?

That's what I was wondering. Could a registered voter obtain an ID for free to avoid poll taxes, prohibited by Amendment 24 of the US Constitution?

If the 24th doesn't apply in this situation, why not?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

For as long as I can remember, I've had to show a phot-id, in fact I think the official requirement is a "government issued" id...driver's license has always been requested.
Given how simple a voter registration card is, I can only assume how easy it would be to duplicate one.
It's only a simple typed id with no photo.
I don't see the issue here....???

I don't see the issue either. Photo ID is needed to prevent voter fraud. Most people have some sort of photo ID. I live in GA and if you do not have a photo ID the state will issue one at no charge so no one is prevented from voting. It is really a non issue as long as you are willing to exert the effort to get a photo ID.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Yu VILL show me YUR papers NOW...verstedt!!!!

What is the problem with making sure that voters are who they say they are? Why are the Democracts so opposed to making sure that voters vote only once, and for only themselves?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

so do absentee voters need to send in a polaroid? I haven't shown my ID in over a decade, can't even remember if I had to then.

No. They do not. Under the scheme in Indiana, it does not apply to an absentee ballot. But that is partly because of the additional sworn statement requirements of absentee or provisional ballots.

Not all states require a photo ID to vote. The law that requires it in GA was passed recently. I can't fathom why anyone would be opposed to it.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Its part of the larger whole... more invasion of privacy... more need to carry more and more ID to satisfy the gestapo's need to control people.. I thought you... as a good "libertarian" would understand that.

Then do you think your drivers license in an invasion of your privacy? You have to have a picture ID to legally drive a car. You don't have to have a special ID to vote, merely show a picture ID so people that died 20 years ago don't vote. How is that bad?

What is the problem with making sure that voters are who they say they are? Why are the Democrats so opposed to making sure that voters vote only once, and for only themselves?

One word: Chicago
:D

Edited to add: I have known several people who for whatever reason did not drive, and I think the SOP for all of them was to go to the office where drivers licenses are issued and get an ID card that was identical to a drivers license, but usable only as an ID card.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

And then it will be a national id.....then it will have biometric data..... next thing you know it has all of your political information tied to it...your medical records....your buying history of products....RFID technology embedded to you can be tracked 24/7....

SLiipery slope should only be for skiing and snowboarding. ( and maybe a laittle ground launching thrown in)

How do yall feel about just getting down to the local police station for your tattoo's on your forheads??? Of do you think we will just get an embedded chip put in us at birth.

Easy on the science fiction. I don't see the correlation between voter ID and RFID technology. If there was a law passed that said we had to be implanted with ID chips in order to cast a ballot then I would see the correlation. The law merely states to show a picture ID. I don't see how that law is heavy handed.

Its part of the larger whole... more invasion of privacy... more need to carry more and more ID to satisfy the gestapo's need to control people.. I thought you... as a good "libertarian" would understand that.

I DO understand the reverse side of it. There is a right to vote - the most fundamental right of a democratic system. BUT - even I agree that the "right to vote" should not be "unlimited."

The interests of the federal government, states, counties, cities, and individuals MUST be taken into consideration, as well. A system grounded in democracy loses its legitimacy when questions surround who voted are brought to light.

When exercising the right to vote, in a balance of rights would necessarily implicate that someone else is not exercising MY right. And to ensure that someone is not exercising anyone ELSE's right.

I believe that all persons have an equal right to vote - one person one vote. Not one person four votes. The best way to do that is to require some evidence of who the person is who is voting.

That way, someone claiming to be you does not show up and vote. There is NOTHING in my leanings to indicate that I believe that freedom to vote should be unfettered at the expense of accuracy.

Its not science fiction.. its a reality.. already in the amount of imformation that is kept on EVERY American.

I really dont have an issue with a simple photo ID.. but if you look at most states Drivers licenses now.. it is not as simple anymore. Many are beginning to embed things into them.... to prevent counterfitting.. they say.:S

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2004/10/65243

And then it will be a national id.....then it will have biometric data..... next thing you know it has all of your political information tied to it...your medical records....your buying history of products....RFID technology embedded to you can be tracked 24/7....

Oh, I agree with the possibilities of the slippery slope. What I do NOT see is how requiring someone to prove he is Amazon at the voting booth could be considered a dangerous attack on his personal privacy. "I AM AMAZON! THIS IS A VIOLATION OF MY RIGHT TO PRIVACY WITH YOU ASKING ME TO SHOW MY ID!"

I'd reckon that if you were there, you should as hell wouldn't think that "right to privacy" would be a valid defense to finding out who the hell this guy is who is claiming to be you.

Easy on the science fiction. I don't see the correlation between voter ID and RFID technology. If there was a law passed that said we had to be implanted with ID chips in order to cast a ballot then I would see the correlation.

The passport already has the RFID. The slow moving REAL ID mandate would force states to include biometrics on the driver's license.

Ultimately, the question should be - does the drivers license requirement achieve any gains? Does it stop illegal aliens from voting? Does it result in longer lines and people not being able to vote?

I guess if we are not doing anything wrong.. we have nothing to worry about... right????

THe only thing then is WHO decides what is wrong.. and how vociferous they want ot be in going after those who are breaking one of the myriad of laws that there are on the books throught this country....

Less and less "Land of the Free, and Home of the brave" every year.[:/]

I DO understand the reverse side of it. There is a right to vote - the most fundamental right of a democratic system. BUT - even I agree that the "right to vote" should not be "unlimited."

The interests of the federal government, states, counties, cities, and individuals MUST be taken into consideration, as well. A system grounded in democracy loses its legitimacy when questions surround who voted are brought to light.

When exercising the right to vote, in a balance of rights would necessarily implicate that someone else is not exercising MY right. And to ensure that someone is not exercising anyone ELSE's right.

I believe that all persons have an equal right to vote - one person one vote. Not one person four votes. The best way to do that is to require some evidence of who the person is who is voting.

That way, someone claiming to be you does not show up and vote. There is NOTHING in my leanings to indicate that I believe that freedom to vote should be unfettered at the expense of accuracy.

So how many cases of voter ID fraud have occurred in Indiana in its entire history?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I largely agree with you. I don't have an issue with having to prove my identity before voting. My concern is those (admittedly few) without an acceptable ID being turned away from voting booths. I would like to see some safeguard in place to keep that from happening. That the problem would be small only makes it less likely to be addressed.

Personally, my driver license is not issued by the same state in which I'm registered to vote. Furthermore, I don't want to change my license, and I'm not sure I can get a non-driver license from this state while holding a driver license from another. (Nor am I sure that I can't.)
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

So how many cases of voter ID fraud have occurred in Indiana in its entire history?

The court case indicated that there was no solid evidence of it having occurred in Indiana, but of it having occured in several other states.