Rookie120

Am I an atheist?

and surprisingly connected it directly to your earlier statement.

The one that you quoted. Yeah, why ever did I think that's what you were talking about?

And who the fuck mentioned being PC and pussy footing around things?

You obviously didn't like me being direct, and talked about no-one knowing who's right or wrong. That's pussy footing about. There is right and there is wrong, and Speedracer is badly, badly wrong.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Well, to an extent it was, but not in the sense you read it as; and then started getting all upset, like a fart in a bottle.

Now, I don't exactly want you to burst into tears here, as I equally don't wish you to take things the wrong way, but do bear in mind the majority of my point wasn't entirely directed at you.

But I did enjoy your temper tantrum though!:)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

I like to think there is something after I am old and gone. I just hope I live the right life to get a good parking place. I usually dont post anything in the religion threads because I am not very in tuned to the church. So does this make me an atheist or what?

You're an atheist if you believe there are no gods.

You're agnostic if you believe we can't know whether or not gods exist.

Belief in after lives and karma are orthogonal to belief in supreme beings.

At most, based on your post you're unchurched.

I have a quick questions for you.

As an atheist you don’t believe in god or any god. I am assuming that you believe in the big bang theory or something like it. Here is what I always have difficulty with. Lets say that the universe was created by to huge pieces that collided and formed the universe. Who or what made those objects?

And if we know the answer who made the other objects and who or what after that ect.

You get the point.
That’s the one thing that is always very confusing for me. When you keep on going backwards what created that first thing, and what created that.

WOW I have a headache now.

What makes you think there was a beginning?

I like to think there is something after I am old and gone. I just hope I live the right life to get a good parking place. I usually dont post anything in the religion threads because I am not very in tuned to the church. So does this make me an atheist or what?

I would say, no, you are not an atheist. Remain open and honest and God will show you the way. I personally don't put much stock in the religious definitions of God.

I have a quick questions for you.

As an atheist you don’t believe in god or any god. I am assuming that you believe in the big bang theory or something like it. Here is what I always have difficulty with. Lets say that the universe was created by to huge pieces that collided and formed the universe. Who or what made those objects?

And if we know the answer who made the other objects and who or what after that ect.

You get the point.
That’s the one thing that is always very confusing for me. When you keep on going backwards what created that first thing, and what created that.

WOW I have a headache now.

Actually one of the theories at the moment is not that two big objects hit each other (which would make little sense and explain nothing) but that the 10th dimension was split into the 4th (our universe) and the 6th (curled up) dimension.

Because I know plenty of self-identified Christians who believe in evolution, and who think that there is a lot of truth in the Bible, but most of it's not in the specifics in Genesis :P.

Me, for instance.

I know many NON-Christians who think there is a lot of truth in the Bible.

Me, for instance.

it only gets tricky when you start using the Capital 'T' Truth, as in 'this way (mine) and no other' and all the prejudice and judgment that goes along with that narrow POV.

We can't pin that label on you. Only you can choose to take the title. BUT from my athiest point of view, you're almost there. Just get rid of the life after death illusion and you'll be home free.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

We can't pin that label on you. Only you can choose to take the title. BUT from my athiest point of view, you're almost there. Just get rid of the life after death illusion and you'll be home free.

Take a moment and think seriously about it. It is not a question about what is easier to believe. It is not a question about what you want to be true, or even what would be nice or convenient if it were true; it is a question about what you actually believe to be true.

So atheists believe that there is no god but they don’t know how it all began? Is that correct?

For this atheist, the two are seprate questions, but can be answered using the same mehtod.

1. The question of the existence of a god, any god. Answer: There is no evidence that confirms, or even supports the existence of a life form outside the known universe. Thus, the existence of a god is not supported.

2. The origins of the universe are supported by massive amounts of academic and cultural study by numerous individuals, nations and cultures over thousands of years. All of the availble data converges on the same point: the universe had a definite begining in space and time. This is known as the "Big Bang" (originaly the term "Big Bang" was a term of sarcastic derision by a theorician who didn't believe the evidence.).

Both of these questions are answered by the same method: evidence evaluation. Weighing the evidence and coming to a conclusion based on the evidence. Some things are supported by evidence, some are not. God has never been supported by evidence.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

To say for example, that when someone gets killed in a hurricane that it is because they deserved it,

Especially if they refused to get off of their lazy asses and get the hell out of town, with a week's warning.

As I recall recently, didn't you go through some kind of serious health crisis? You are not dead. Was it pure luck? That won't work. Was it just not your day to die? That won't work. All of the people who helped you, were there for a reason? That won't work.
Even the fact that you were born at a moment in time when medical science was able to arrest and turn around your situation cannot be claimed to be fortuitous.
Exactly how do athiests explain situations in which they have no control, but still come out on the other side?

Exactly how do athiests explain situations in which they have no control, but still come out on the other side?

Survivability of life-threatening injuries involves a lot of factors other than the Hand of God. Most trauma patients have little control over what happens to them when they hit the ER, OR, ICU. Amazing how many of 'em pull through with mere mortals working to save their lives. ;)

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

As I recall recently, didn't you go through some kind of serious health crisis? You are not dead. Was it pure luck? That won't work. Was it just not your day to die? That won't work. All of the people who helped you, were there for a reason? That won't work.
Even the fact that you were born at a moment in time when medical science was able to arrest and turn around your situation cannot be claimed to be fortuitous.

Fuck me, do you think you need God to hold your hand and walk you across the road, too?

Survivability of life-threatening injuries involves a lot of factors other than the Hand of God. Most trauma patients have little control over what happens to them when they hit the ER, OR, ICU. Amazing how many of 'em pull through with mere mortals working to save their lives.

What they do have, is being born in a time and place where the confluence of knowledge and technology have come together to provide the ability to save lives.
If one claims that it is sheer luck, then he admits that there are curcumstances beyond his control that has allowed him to live.
I recently heard a story about a young woman who had a bad heart and it did not look like things were going to happen on a proper timeline. Someone decided to experiment with O2 saturation. The woman's heart completely healed.
All things came together in one moment of time for these things to happen, including the thought that popped into the doctor's head that said, "Hmmm, why not give it a shot?"

Why does there have to be an explaination for everything or every event?

Isn't that what science trys to do?
Many people hate the thought that they have a prescribed timeline to their given lives, whether they decide to live in a rubber room or throw themselves out of airplanes.
The Grim Reaper is always standing around, pressing his bony thumb against the end of his scythe, just waiting for orders.

What they do have, is being born in a time and place where the confluence of knowledge and technology have come together to provide the ability to save lives.
If one claims that it is sheer luck, then he admits that there are curcumstances beyond his control that has allowed him to live.

Dude, you are killing me here - this is fucking comedy gold!

You're saying that the only explanation for me being born in the 20th century where I can benefit from modern medicine is that God wanted me to be born in the 20th century?

I have no words:S