nathaniel

American Taliban strikes again

How is this "American Taliban?"

Now, had the government declined to allow medical treatment and only allowed prayer for cure, then I can see it as "Taliban."

p.s. I really am in a pissed off kinda mood this week or so. Job stress kinda thing. Perhaps it's why I am remarkably intolerant of hyperbole and the like. I see a difference between the Taliban stoning people to death for being something other than Muslim and asshole parents praying to save their kid instead of using medical resources.

Then again, go ahead and relate stuff like this to the Taliban. It doesn't make the parents look bad so much as it makes the Taliban look "not so bad."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Then again, go ahead and relate stuff like this to the Taliban. It doesn't make the parents look bad so much as it makes the Taliban look "not so bad."

Just a fun opportunity to put down the US, a favorite pastime of some around here.

On the topic, I can't believe charges are being "considered". Seems like a no-brainer to put those bone heads behind bars for some sort of manslaughter.

. . =(_8^(1)

The argument could be made that both the Taliban and this girl's parents used their faith to make decisions relating to the treatment of those they were responsible for, with disastrous results. Ok, the Taliban are in charge of an entire country and the parents were only in charge of one girl, but they were in a position of authority and they did kill her with faith.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Just a fun opportunity to put down the US, a favorite pastime of some around here.

On the topic, I can't believe charges are being "considered". Seems like a no-brainer to put those bone heads behind bars for some sort of manslaughter.

But then you've put your finger on exactly what makes this like the Taliban. Charges are only being "considered" because it's so difficult for many people in this country to go against the side of religion. That in spite of the fact that freedom of religion should never extend to allowing a child to die.

It's not putting down the US - it's putting down morons.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The argument could be made that both the Taliban and this girl's parents used their faith to make decisions relating to the treatment of those they were responsible for, with disastrous results. Ok, the Taliban are in charge of an entire country and the parents were only in charge of one girl, but they were in a position of authority and they did kill her with faith.

Notice the difference - a government responsible for a person versus a parent. I frankly find a HUGE difference between a parent letting a kid die because he/she would rather pray and a government killing a person because he/she wouldn't.

Again, that's just me.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

But then you've put your finger on exactly what makes this like the Taliban. Charges are only being "considered" because it's so difficult for many people in this country to go against the side of religion. That in spite of the fact that freedom of religion should never extend to allowing a child to die.

Nice try, but I still don't see a valid comparison between a peaceful (yet with very misplaced values) religious group and the Taliban.

When's the last time a JW blew you up in a market?

Go look up the Taliban's actual doctrine, which includes the TOTAL subjugation of women, killing all the infidels, and numerous other whacked shit, then check on that comparison.

We DO have freedom of religious expression in this country. The Taliban isn't interested in that.

. . =(_8^(1)

The Neumann family has ties to the "Unleavened Bread Minstries," a little-known church that shuns modern medicine in favor of prayer. A statement posted on the organization's Web site by the founder, David Eells, says the Neumanns "contacted one of our elders to ask that I call them to pray for their daughter. That elder got in touch with me Saturday evening and I called the Neumanns."

So, the founder of the church, Eells, does not believe in modern medicine, but he doesn't have a problem collecting money on a f-ing website HERE
>:(

12th century brain, 21st century wallet.

People should pray that God tells the electricity in his church to short.

Eells does say his church does not believe in the medical intervention.

Oh, and the father knows CPR.

Dale Neumann, a former police officer, told the AP that he started to perform CPR on his daughter "as soon as the breath of life left."

Which he used AFTER she was dead. It's ok then? :S Why wasn't it a good idea BEFORE she was dead?

I don't think that anyone needs to make a point so strongly that they kill their child.

I'll bet that now he will expect everyone to forgive him because "he's such a nice guy". Retard.

The particulars of what they believe vs don't believe are irrelevant, because the process they used to deduce their beliefs is flawed.

The reason that the Taliban is / are still around is the sympathy they get from the people they live amongst.

It's the same reason this girl died.

edit: grammar
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

The particulars of what they believe vs don't believe are irrelevant, because the process they used to deduce their beliefs is flawed.

The reason that the Taliban is / are still around is the sympathy they get from the people they live amongst.

I see your point, but still not convincing of a "Taliban" equivalent. I again say I hope that couple pays a dear price for this. I looked around for a court precedent on this kind of case and could not find one (but my search skills suck). If there isn't one, let's make one. That'll remove the so called sympathy factor you mentioned and end this bizarre practice on minors.

. . =(_8^(1)

edit: grammar

Actually, the reason that the Taliban exist, was the widespread corruption of the Afghan govt. After the Russians left, the central govt control splintered.

The army was left unpaid and resorted to theft ("tariffs" at roadblocks).

Eventually, they went over the line with rape and murder. The religious leader hung the army commander. (This story was confirmed in a discussion with a Pakistani man that I worked with last year.)
Wiki

The Taliban initially had enormous goodwill from Afghans weary of the corruption, brutality and incessant fighting of Mujahideen warlords. Two contrasting narratives of the beginnings of the Taliban[12] are that the rape and murder of boys and girls from a family traveling to Kandahar or a similar outrage by Mujahideen bandits sparked Mullah Omar and his students to vow to rid Afghanistan of these criminals

There is no resemblance between that dummy in Wisconsin and the fighters in Afghanistan.

This guy is just misguided and it cost his daughter her life.

Nice try, but I still don't see a valid comparison between a peaceful (yet with very misplaced values) religious group and the Taliban.

When's the last time a JW blew you up in a market?

Go look up the Taliban's actual doctrine, which includes the TOTAL subjugation of women, killing all the infidels, and numerous other whacked shit, then check on that comparison.

We DO have freedom of religious expression in this country. The Taliban isn't interested in that.

Of course the parallel isn't exact. But someone, in fact an innocent child, is dead because of others imposing their religious beliefs on her. She's no less dead than someone who was blown up with a bomb or stoned to death. The real tragedy is that it isn't the first time this has happened and it's also far from the last. And a big part of the reason it keeps happening is the sympathy factor Nathaniel alluded to. There should be no fucking sympathy for these people. What they did is just as wrong as if they let a toddler out in traffic and the toddler got hit with a truck because Jesus didn't guide her to safety.

If and when the authorities really start to crack down on this and publicize long prison terms for the parents, it will at least start to change. I wouldn't be surprised if those parents were completely unaware that they could be imprisoned for this.

Until we start to see a change in attitudes, there will be a justifiable comparison with the Taliban in terms of its tolerance for death in the name of religion.

I don't necessarily believe that the parents should be charged with a crime. However, I don't know all the facts since my only source of information is this thread.

My main fear is that the government or law enforcement will eventually imprison us for things like not vaccinating our kids, smoking near them, feeding them foods with trans fats, homeschooling them, allowing them to jump on my trampoline, etc. Gov't is becoming too powerful.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

From the title I thought you were talking about environmentalists here. Actually trying to force through legislation to tell us what kind of light bulbs to buy.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I frankly find a HUGE difference between a parent letting a kid die because he/she would rather pray and a government killing a person because he/she wouldn't.

You're right, the parents are actually worse. It's one thing to sentance a bunch of people you don't know to death, but to do it to your own child?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Of course the parallel isn't exact. But someone, in fact an innocent child, is dead because of others imposing their religious beliefs on her. She's no less dead than someone who was blown up with a bomb or stoned to death. The real tragedy is that it isn't the first time this has happened and it's also far from the last. And a big part of the reason it keeps happening is the sympathy factor Nathaniel alluded to. There should be no fucking sympathy for these people. What they did is just as wrong as if they let a toddler out in traffic and the toddler got hit with a truck because Jesus didn't guide her to safety.

If and when the authorities really start to crack down on this and publicize long prison terms for the parents, it will at least start to change. I wouldn't be surprised if those parents were completely unaware that they could be imprisoned for this.

Until we start to see a change in attitudes, there will be a justifiable comparison with the Taliban in terms of its tolerance for death in the name of religion.

Agreed. The JW have had other cases reach the Supreme Court, I wonder why something like this has not.

. . =(_8^(1)