FreeflyChile

New for 2008! The Brand New Sins List!

I would suggest that most environmental 'sins' are a form of gluttony; we are wasting our resources. By bringing attention to these it gives catholics a chance to bring them up at confession. This in turn will lead to them thinking about their sins while they are committing them and, hopefully, changing their behavior. Of course it does no good if less and less catholics are going to confession, but I guess they do what they can.

I think the real sin is the fact that the Vatican feels it necessary to tell Catholics what is and isn't sin. Do they do that poor of a job instilling a sense of morality and ethics in their membership?

So many Catholic sins are arbitrary and counter-intuitive that anyone with a well developed sense of ethics would find it extremely difficult to work them out from first principles.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think the real sin is the fact that the Vatican feels it necessary to tell Catholics what is and isn't sin. Do they do that poor of a job instilling a sense of morality and ethics in their membership?

Those, I guess, would be the 'common law' sins.

It's the 'statutory sins' that are seemingly arbitrary and sometimes have no bearing on modern life that really bug me, and those seem to be the ones that the Church enjoys telling you about.

You working on the premise that people are individually responsible for their own understanding of morals and ethics; this is the very heart of protestant heresy. Since the Catholic church doesn't operate on that premise, indeed their raison d'etre is the antithesis of it, your argument is askew to their operation.

Membership??? The membership doesn't think that they are the ones with the morality issues.

Read their own annual report. click

Too bad that the Catholic church is worth billions or somebody would have put them out of business for their crimes by now.

At least the Mafia demands that the employees follow a code of ethics.

I would suggest that most environmental 'sins' are a form of gluttony; we are wasting our resources. By bringing attention to these it gives catholics a chance to bring them up at confession. This in turn will lead to them thinking about their sins while they are committing them and, hopefully, changing their behavior. Of course it does no good if less and less catholics are going to confession, but I guess they do what they can.

At least the Catholic Church will forgive you. The liberals want you to buy carbon credits.

At least the Catholic Church will forgive you. The liberals want you to buy carbon credits.

With those 'credits', maybe, I could get a new charcoal grill!:D

I'm a Catholic (I don't go to church) and I just can't buy into these so-called 'new sins'. If, a person doesn't have a good sense of right and wrong by now, these 'new sins' won't wake them up.

Chuck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carbon credits, indulgences; I can't see a difference, can you see a difference?

Nope. There is a whole lot of liberalism that smacks of religion. They've just replaced God with the state.

>At least the Catholic Church will forgive you. The liberals want you to buy
>carbon credits.

If you think the catholic church doesn't want your money - I suspect you have never been to a catholic church!

Well Bill, have YOU ever been to a Catholic church ? I mean I honestly don't know whether you've had a religious upbringing or not. But as an ex-Catholic and survivor of six years of Catholic education (grades K - 5), I haven't really seen any great differences between the way Catholics hit their flock up for money and any other church or denomination. I mean all you have to do is drive down the 405 in Orange County to pass by that marble whorehouse of the Trinity Broadcast Network. Churches are like anybody else, they need honest amounts of money to operate, but often have ungodly ambitions that go beyond keeping the lights on. The Catholics are no different, other than they've been around longer and had more practice at extracting the moolah (psst - hey buddy, you wanna buy an indulgence ?).

That aside, even as a determined ex-Catholic, I find the Church's positions on moral issues to be worth reading and considering, even if I frankly disagree with many of them. When I went to Catholic elementary school, the Civil rights movement was going on in the south and a number of Catholic priests and nuns were attacked and even killed by the Klan. The church was adamant in teaching from the pulpit that "racial prejudice is a SIN". I got a really strong dose of that at school, something I certainly didn't hear in my Italian-Irish working class neighborhood. I'm sure that some of the things we brought home and repeated from school got a "Say WHAT ?!?" reaction from more than a few parents.

When Communism fell apart in the early nineties, Pope John Paul warned that the west take care, lest we should repeat the fundamental error of Marxism by regarding human beings in strictly economic terms. I think that's a valid criticism of western culture and a fair warning to us all.

I also think bio ethics is a very shady and potentially dangerous area, especially if we get around to designing people. Oh sure, we might create a few gifted children, but they'll be for the ruling class. Genetic engineering for the most part will be to mass produce slaves and soldiers and anyone who doesn't think so is kidding themselves. You don't have to be a Catholic to figure that one out.

So for all of their very real faults and silly Monty Pythonesque vestments, the Catholic Church has some real positions that are at least worthy of vigorous debate. And believe me, they've got the rigorous intellect to put their positions forward with. And a little more vigorous and critical intellect is something we could all get jiggy with.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !