BillyVance

Kindergarten kid suspended from school for...

a mohawk haircut.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23369157/?Gt1=10856

Personally, I think kiddiegarter kids are way too young to be sporting weird haircuts, and I think the mother is doing a poor job of being a mother, but what do YOU think?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My dad started letting me grow my hair long when I was in the 5th grade. I let my son do what he wanted with his hair at about the same age. After all, it was his hair. Though I do believe that kindergarten age is a little young to be supporting a mohawk, I do not believe that the boy should've been suspended. That is pretty excessive in my opinion.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Though I do believe that kindergarten age is a little young to be supporting a mohawk, I do not believe that the boy should've been suspended. That is pretty excessive in my opinion.

I agree. I would like to know if the rules of attire covers hair. Although the mother was warned multiple times, she refused to cave in.

I don't see a problem with long hair (not overly long) or mullets though, but a mohawk is enough of a distraction.

She said she was going to enroll her kid at another school... if she's using the public school system, does kindergarten fall under the zoning rules as grades 1 - 12? If yes, then I guess she has to dole out the money for a private school.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Parenting....

Now, I'll cut her slack with the mohawk. Even with a 6year old... I wouldn't do that if I had a child, but she just might be more tolerant and allowing regarding that.

BUT. . . changing schools based on it! No. School choice should be based on academic considerations, not whether the parents can play well with the administrators.

a mohawk haircut.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23369157/?Gt1=10856

Personally, I think kiddiegarter kids are way too young to be sporting weird haircuts, and I think the mother is doing a poor job of being a mother, but what do YOU think?

Think the school is a little over the top. How distracting is it? to a 5 year old ANYTHING is distracting for about 5 min till thier attention span is directed eilse where.

I don't like the fact when administrations put thier ideas of approirate aperances on others. It's not thier body. Would I let my kids do that shure it's only hair!
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

So what happens if a Mohawk kid enrolls at the school (they do come from roughly that part of the world). Isn't that kind of like banning afros. If a kid had hasidic curls, would that be a distraction? What about dreads?
I think kindergarten is exactly the wrong place to be enforcing normal stereotypes upon children.
Most US soldiers I have ever seen would be charged if they were in the British army for having "aggressively short hair." It's just stupid.

Sick white trash looking for her 15 minutes of fame in the only way they will ever it.

Bad enough to be that kind of attention whore; worse to drag your kid into it.

I agree with the school - - it is too distracting, and done with the clear intention of being just that.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

5 year olds have no business making fashion statements.

However, if there is nothing in the school policy that prohibits it, the school has gone too far.

5 year olds don't make fashion statements they wear things and do things that MAKE THEM HAPPY! Boys will wear a dress because it’s fun; kids will draw on them self because it’s fun, they will give each other hair cuts because it’s fun the list of things a 5 year old will do because it’s fun is endless.

They don’t have societies constraints of what is acceptable of self conscious of the way they look as they haven’t been corrupted by the media, advertising or societies constraints on looks!!!! (And lets not forget how many people look down on other cultures for what they deem as culturally normal for acceptable clothing.) It’s us adults that put those things in place and much of those ideals we have gotten is from fashion and advertising!!!!!! 5 year olds don't have a concept of fashion statements and if they do that more disturbing to me.

You really think they way a person looks changes their intelligence, ethics, reliability, job performance, compassion, honesty? No not one bit but clothing and appearance will change people’s perceptions of all those things. Is that fair? I don’t believe so. how did it become this way? Class and elitism and continues today with the help of advertising and the media.

We put aside all the important qualities that we should judge another human being and place it all on the basis of our initial impressions of a person based on looks and clothing.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

but a mohawk is enough of a distraction.

Huh? Are you being serious? Mohawks have been extremely trendy on campus for at least the past couple of years. I seriously doubt that it's isolated here.

If school officials didn't make such a big deal of it, it wouldn't be a distraction at all. It's just hair. They need to get over themselves and let the kid wear it as he wants.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

School choice should be based on academic considerations, not whether the parents can play well with the administrators.

I agree that academics should be the first consideration. What the schools administration has revealed is that, to them, appearances are more important than academics.

What am I saying? This is the US, where straight teeth in your mouth are far more important than the words that come out of it. :S
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Says he had a school uniform. Sounds like a private school. They can make whatever rules they want. Don't like them, go to public school. She did.

Why is this news? Did Brittney not take a shit today?

Public school systems have been on the move lately in requiring standard school outfits, although it's more prevalent in the inner city schools. Partly to eliminate gang-related symbols and colors.

5 year olds don't make fashion statements they wear things and do things that MAKE THEM HAPPY! Boys will wear a dress because it’s fun; kids will draw on them self because it’s fun, they will give each other hair cuts because it’s fun the list of things a 5 year old will do because it’s fun is endless.

Thank god somebody finally came out and said it.

All the people complaining about a 5 year old having a mohawk sound like my cranky, old ass, fun-hating neighbors. And you know what happens to those people: They slip on ice and break their hip because they were shaking their canes at the kids across the street playing in the yard. :P

Seriously. Good god. :S

Agree with KBordson. Academic considerations should rank highest w/r/t her child's school.

But back to the main point. Part of good parenting is letting your kids express themselves, and try new things, and do things that make themselves happy, even if you don't understand it or can't necessarily relate.

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

For fucks sake... how stupid can the public school system get? Im taking my kids out of public schools starting with next school year. Florida is the worst possible state for kids to be in a public school. I just recently put bright pink highlights in my daughters hair, they are damn lucky they said nothing.....

Attached is my beautiful daughter and her wild pink hair.....

Says he had a school uniform. Sounds like a private school. They can make whatever rules they want. Don't like them, go to public school. She did.

Why is this news? Did Brittney not take a shit today?

My kids are in public school and have to where a uniform... one reason why Im moving them, its getting ridiculous.... in my county all public schools elementary and middle have to where uniforms. HS does not. Why b/c of the controversial clothes that were being worn. Personally I think this problem is in HS, not the lower grades....:S

For fucks sake... how stupid can the public school system get? Im taking my kids out of public schools starting with next school year.

Did you realize that the school referenced in the original post and news story is *not* a traditional public school?

It's a charter school: Parma Community School, run by Constellation Schools, Inc. The dress code is available online.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

My kids are in public school and have to where a uniform... one reason why Im moving them, its getting ridiculous.... in my county all public schools elementary and middle have to where uniforms. HS does not. Why b/c of the controversial clothes that were being worn. Personally I think this problem is in HS, not the lower grades....:S

They have to do .... what??
:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

For fucks sake... how stupid can the public school system get? Im taking my kids out of public schools starting with next school year.

Did you realize that the school referenced in the original post and news story is *not* a traditional public school?

It's a charter school: Parma Community School, run by Constellation Schools, Inc. The dress code is available online.

VR/Marg

I guess the school systems are different then. Here, charter and magnent schools are a part of the public school system, you just have to apply to attend them. But it doesnt cost anything like a private school does. It's gonna cost me nearly $15,000 grand a year to put my kids in private school, but I think it will be a good thing. Their education is their future and in Florida they don't teach school they just teach for the stupid FCAT, they dont teach school...

5 year olds have no business making fashion statements.

However, if there is nothing in the school policy that prohibits it, the school has gone too far.

Uh yeah, that's putting it mildy. WHERE'S THE FUCKING OUTRAGE ?!? A SIX YEAR OLD KID IS SUSPENDED FROM SCHOOL (i.e. punished) for a haircut his parents gave him and that he doesn't even understand ???????????????????

What the fucking fuck !!! Doesn't anybody realize this is the typical behavior of ASSHOLE school administrators, whose ONLY mission in life is to impose their control over children who can't fight back ?

Jesus H Christ, I'd sue the cocksuckers......

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !