FreeflyChile

Presidents during a lifetime

Hi all,

I was listening to a sports radio show and they made a joke about a writer who didn't want to say how old he was, but that he said he won an award during the presidency of a president from a long time ago (i don't remember who it was).

Anyway, it got me to thinking that for someone born in 1980 (not me, I am a couple years older than that), they would have only been alive through 4 different Presidents - Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr (and i realize that there's a lag between being elected and actually getting into office - then make it 4 prezes since '81). Though I don't know if this has any significance, it did strike me as odd that someone could be 28 years old and have seen this "lack" of variety in the White House.

So I guess my point in posting is I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts as to whether this has any deeper significance for anybody as to what it reflects about the shape of the country, politics, voting public, etc.

Thoughts?

Hi all,

I was listening to a sports radio show and they made a joke about a writer who didn't want to say how old he was, but that he said he won an award during the presidency of a president from a long time ago (i don't remember who it was).

Anyway, it got me to thinking that for someone born in 1980 (not me, I am a couple years older than that), they would have only been alive through 4 different Presidents - Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr (and i realize that there's a lag between being elected and actually getting into office - then make it 4 prezes since '81). Though I don't know if this has any significance, it did strike me as odd that someone could be 28 years old and have seen this "lack" of variety in the White House.

So I guess my point in posting is I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts as to whether this has any deeper significance for anybody as to what it reflects about the shape of the country, politics, voting public, etc.

Thoughts?

THIS gives some indication of the significance.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

For someone born in 1980 ... they would have only been alive through 4 different Presidents - Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr ... Though I don't know if this has any significance, it did strike me as odd that someone could be 28 years old and have seen this "lack" of variety in the White House.

So I guess my point in posting is I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts as to whether this has any deeper significance for anybody as to what it reflects about the shape of the country, politics, voting public, etc. Thoughts?

Speculation: it's narrowed and polarized the political discourse.

Observation: in less than 6 hours, there have been two separate threads asserting that Sen Obama is either a potential radical Islamist/Muslim extremist (theocracy) or a potential autocratic, repressive Communist (assumedly atheist).

VR/Marg ... & I thought my politics were complicated.

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Hi all,

Thoughts?

First, you are referring to me. Second, yes it has had an impact (and will have an even bigger impact if Hillary Clinton becomes the next President).

PS: Don't forget that the current Vice President is Dick Cheney who was Secretary of Defense for George H. W. Bush and George H. W. Bush was Vice President for Ronald Regan.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

whether this has any deeper significance for anybody as to what it reflects about the shape of the country, politics, voting public, etc.

Yes. A POTUS can serve for two terms. Except Bush, Sr., we've had two-term presidents since then. And we had three during the 1970's alone. And 1960 had Eisenhower, JFK in 61, LBJ in 63, and Nixon in 69.

Obviously, the 70's saw a scandal. The 60's saw an assassination. And the 30's - well, FDR dominated that.

Just an ebb and flow.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

whether this has any deeper significance for anybody as to what it reflects about the shape of the country, politics, voting public, etc.

Yes. A POTUS can serve for two terms. Except Bush, Sr., we've had two-term presidents since then. And we had three during the 1970's alone. And 1960 had Eisenhower, JFK in 61, LBJ in 63, and Nixon in 69.

Obviously, the 70's saw a scandal. The 60's saw an assassination. And the 30's - well, FDR dominated that.

Just an ebb and flow.

Pssst…Carter only served one term.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Just an ebb and flow.

Pssst…Carter only served one term.

Oh, I know. I didn't say he had served two. I was talking about 81 on.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This goes well with whine wine.

Truth hurts, eh?

Did I dispute the graph you posted?

All the whining wining your doing I think I'll buy stock in cheese.

Boy, you really are sensitive about those GOP deficits.

I have lived thru 11 of them so far..:S

I was born during President Nixon's first term. :P 7 for me...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Truth hurts, eh?

Let's see....
You complain (as always) about the deficit under Bush.
I, on the other hand, do not.
So tell me, Professor, who is the one sensitive about GOP deficits?
You do bring laughter to my day. :D

Truth hurts, eh?

Let's see....
I, on the other hand, do not.
So tell me, Professor, who is the one sensitive about GOP deficits?
You do bring laughter to my day. :D

Yes, being the biggest debtor nation in the history of the world is certainly something to laugh about. Never mind, Jesus will save you.:P

Thoughts?

Actually this isn't too bad compared to some other countries/etc.

A 40 year old Cuban had the same president for about 39 years and 364 days.

A 70 year old Tibetan has known but one Dalai Lama.

A 28 year old Roman Catholic will have only known two Popes--especially unusual given that the papacy seems to be an old man's job.

I lived in Canada to young adulthood and only knew two effective prime ministers--Trudeau and the Right Honourable Lyin Brian--with a few brief soujourns by others.

Just three British sovereigns--George III, Victoria, and Elizabeth II--have accounted for more than two-thirds of the time since the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Shouldn't every responsible citizen complain about the deficit?

Sure - it's the constant whining drone of "it's all BUSH'S fault and the Dems will save us" that grates on the nerves...sort of like the "most annoying sound in the world" scene from Dumb and Dumber.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sure - it's the constant whining drone of "it's all BUSH'S fault and the Dems will save us" that grates on the nerves

That's understandable. In fairness, the conservatives were just as bad, if not worse, about criticisms of Clinton when he was in office.

sort of like the "most annoying sound in the world" scene from Dumb and Dumber

I must confess that I've never seen Dumb and Dumber. I have seen over seven years of Bush's presidential speeches, as well as a few speeches by former Vice President Quayle. Does that count? :)
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Sure - it's the constant whining drone of "it's all BUSH'S fault and the Dems will save us" that grates on the nerves

That's understandable. In fairness, the conservatives were just as bad, if not worse, about criticisms of Clinton when he was in office.

Probably so... and I'm sure the libs were just as fast to show that the Reps were just as big a bunch of shitheads as the conservatives were claiming the Dems were.... like I do now in the reverse.

sort of like the "most annoying sound in the world" scene from Dumb and Dumber

I must confess that I've never seen Dumb and Dumber. I have seen over seven years of Bush's presidential speeches, as well as a few speeches by former Vice President Quayle. Does that count? :)

Probably pretty close, yup.... ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706