SimonBones

Berkley-here we go again

There's also a large ROTC program on campus. Heck, there's even a Young Republicans student group, imagine that!! Republican's in Berkeley?!?!?

Now that just aint right on so many levels.....I wonder why THAT little fact has not been pointed out.:S

Berkeley is a case where the notion of the silent majority is quite real.

Rather than engage the lamest of the radicals (the ones sitting in trees to prevent women athletes from having a gym), many of the opposing side go to class, get degrees, and go earn money and try to take over the world.

In between is a mass of apathy - people who between study and work to pay for it, don't have the luxury of time. A significant portion, and often majority, of the protestors on/near campus aren't even students.

There's also a large ROTC program on campus. Heck, there's even a Young Republicans student group, imagine that!! Republican's in Berkeley?!?!?

That's called counter-counter-culture. True rebels do that. Kinda like an anti-missile missile.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Now that just aint right on so many levels.....I wonder why THAT little fact has not been pointed out.:S

ROTC cadets come with prepaid tuition, in cash, from Uncle Sugar. It would seem that Berkeley loves govt $$ but hates govt people performing the actions they're getting paid for.

A case of wanting ones cake and wanting to eat it also...
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

ROTC cadets come with prepaid tuition, in cash, from Uncle Sugar. It would seem that Berkeley loves govt $$ but hates govt people performing the actions they're getting paid for.

You need to understand that the city and the university are separate entities, with the former frequently suing the latter, even though its existence would be insigificant without the school being there. No one in the country cares what the city council of Albany or El Cerritos says.

I thought lawyers were supposed to grasp subtelties like UC Berkeley not being the same as Berkeley City Council?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I thought lawyers were supposed to grasp subtelties like Berkeley University not being the same as Berkeley City Council?

Hey, putz--I'm not a lawyer. Just a law student. Ergo, I don't use any of my legal credentials to back up my statements on this thread. (not that others with completely inapplicable credentials haven't tried to pass themselves off as experts on law/policy)...

And I really give less than a shit what some trust fund having, B.O. and Patchouli smelling, 12 MPG VW Bus driving, $12,000 annual salary earning, wastes of space hippies think.I never plan on living in the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Kalifornia (DPRK), so this subject is basically mental masturbation, even less useful than being moot.

I'm done with the military. I did my time, and now I get my benefits (the ones I earned, lest people with PhDs in completely unrelated disciplines decide that they're experts on governmennt, and stick their carpetbagger noses into the debate).

I give less than a fuck. And if that bothers you, I recommend you take some 50 caliber aspirin.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

I give less than a fuck. And if that bothers you, I recommend you take some 50 caliber aspirin.

this summary statement makes it clear that you give quite a fuck (or shit) about the subject. Another thing you must learn in law school - no contradictory statements.

And I really give less than a shit what some trust fund having, B.O. and Patchouli smelling, 12 MPG VW Bus driving, $12,000 annual salary earning, wastes of space hippies think.I never plan on living in the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Kalifornia (DPRK), so this subject is basically mental masturbation, even less useful than being moot.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Have you seen the cost of living in the Berkely area???

Hey, putz--I'm not a lawyer. Just a law student. Ergo, I don't use any of my legal credentials to back up my statements on this thread. (not that others with completely inapplicable credentials haven't tried to pass themselves off as experts on law/policy)...

I'm done with the military. I did my time, and now I get my benefits (the ones I earned, lest people with PhDs in completely unrelated disciplines decide that they're experts on governmennt, and stick their carpetbagger noses into the debate).

Best post ever.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The people protesting fail to realize that they are protesting against the power that gives them the right to do so.

First, rights are inherent; they are not given.

Soldiers (when properly led) protect borders. Protestors, whether they be pro-war, anti-war, pro-FSM, or supporting most any other political position, are the ones that protect and ensure continued free speech, by exercising such rights.

Did the military do anything to protect Americans from the erosions of freedom that came with the PATRIOT acts? Did the military stand against the Executive branch when warrantless wiretapping and secret prisons were acknowledged? When free speech rights for students were eroded by the "Bonghits for Jesus" decision passed down by SCOTUS, did the military do anything about it?

The military arguably plays an important role in our society, but protecting rights is not a part of that role.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I live in Berkeley less than a mile from the recruiting station, and Code Pink's headquarters in about five blocks from my house. I drive by the recruiting office most days and see them there. Most of the time, the reaction to them from the locals is positive. I'd say about 85% so.

The real anger comes form outside the community. A huge amount of the pro military demonstrators this week were bussed in from around the country. Now they have gone back to wherever they came from.

Personally, as a war hating liberal atheist, I think it's all rather silly and a waste of time from Code PInk on up to talk radio getting all exercised over it. Code Pink play into every negative stereotype that people have of Berkeley, when the fact is that we're just a nice quiet college town full of students, liberals, and good record stores. If Code Pink packed up and left tomorrow, no-one would go to that recruiting station anyway in any larger numbers than they do now. They recruited like 30 last year.

One a wider note, Berkeley votes in the council it wants, and now people who don't live here want to punish it for reflecting the views of the local electorate that voted for it. That's our job here if we don't like them. We don't come to your communities in conservative areas and try to fart about with your federal dollars over the various idiocies of your local representatives. We'll deal with them in the next local elections if that's the mood of the community.

So in closing. Code Pink, you're not helping. Everyone else, bug out and let it play out locally. As for the Marines, I'm sure they don't care.