BillyVance

Sex offender in the neighborhood

How DARE that guy think he has a right to live in a house!!!

That gives me an idea. We should take all felons, put them in houses together, and make a reality tv show out of it, Real World style. There could even be several different spinoffs, like "The Real World: Armed Robbers," and "The Real World: Pedophiles."

Talk about killing two birds with one stone!

I'm kinda tired of reality shows. How about "The Linder World". Nothin' even remotely connected to reality in that concept!

Walt

If a sex offender served his time in jail, then yeah, let him have a 2nd chance. Somehow I just don't think justice was done right in this case.

Whether he served jail time or not really has no bearing on what kind of threat he poses now. Don't know why that would affect how people feel about him being in the neighborhood. Sexual perpetrators don't typically get better after a little time in the pokey.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

>Sexual perpetrators don't typically get better after a little time in the pokey.

Again, depends. If the conviction was due to a 16 year old having sex with a 14 year old, then I'd argue they DO get better. Most people do a lot of growing up after age 16.

If it was a 20 yr old vs an 11 yr old, I'd agree.

If the conviction was due to a 16 year old having sex with a 14 year old, then I'd argue they DO get better. Most people do a lot of growing up after age 16.

Yep. It's a screwed up legal system that would convict the 16 y/o in a case like that. Couldn't call a 16 y/o having consensual sex with a 14 y/o a dangerous kid. Looks like the guy who moved into his neighborhood was 18 having sex with an 11 y/o. Kinda creepy.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I don't know the details and as someone mentioned maybe it was when he was a kid?

Anyway for all my concerns about UK surveilance society I really think that US criminal law sucks bigtime - the fact that information like that is given out and published on the web with such little regard to the criminals privacy. I am NOT defending this guy - but perhaps you remember the arrest warrent of the cute blond that surfaced here a while ago after a skydiver was arrested -that had her name age and address?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Agreed.

We had a convicted child molester living three doors away, long before I had a daughter.

The house was also a known crack dealers house(same guy) he was around 48yrs old.

Lot's of teen girls in and out all day and nght, even though he was not allowed to have minors in his home.

One night someone fired 30 rounds of .45acp into his home.

There were broken windows and holes through the walls.

The police suspected rival drug dealers.

The Convict moved away that month and has never been seen again.

Before they moved away they had installed christmas lights in the month of April.

It seems that one of his neighbors was quite dangerous, and did not like having crackheads knoock on the wrong door @3:30am.

So it was surmised that the lights were installed ala the "Golden Arches" so that the mistake was not repeated.

yea...nothing like having served your time and paid for the crime that society will now hold against you for the rest of your life.

If you look at the notice, it says that he was released without being incarcerated - so he didn't serve any time.

He was apparently 18 at the time of the crime, and raped an 11-year-old.

How those two paragraphs above can go together, I do not know.

Note: I've searched several Birmingham, Alabama, newspapers online, and can't find any stories about this.

I'm glad those of us who aren't guilty are simply perfect in our own little worlds...never having made mistakes makes for the lofty view of those that have.

Would you feel the same way if he moved in next door to you, and you had an 11-year-old daughter?

He may have been a minor when it occurred, find out the details.

The report Billy Vance posted said he was 18 and it was consensual...

Also, someone stated earlier that since there was no jail time, perhaps justice wasn't served...I think these sex offender notices and the fact that this will haunt him for the rest of his life, is justice...

if you had a choice...what would you guys pick....
Sex offender notices or 1yr in jail? just curious.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I'm guessing that there is alot of sex offenders who get killed after these notices go out? They would be burnt out in the UK.

That would be counterproductive. The system will continue to release dangerous offenders into the communities where our children live whether we like it or not. If by releasing their details to the public they set them up as targets (and they subsequently get harmed), the authorities will simply stop informing people. As much as I may hate these guys I appreciate being warned. It comes down to them being released into the neighborhood with the citizens being warned or them being released into the neighborhood with the citizens not being warned.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

If you'll notice I was responding to a follow-up comment regarding felons in general and not the OP.
As many have stated...WE DON'T KNOW THE DETAILS!!! For all I know he was married to her!?!?!?

It happened in Colorado...READ the report!

If I understood all the details I may not be so concerned about where he lived.

Adults who have sex with children should have their nuts cut off and then be thrown to a pack of wolves with their bloody nutsack stapled to the centre of their back. Not let free with no jail time, and a letter to the neighbours.

IMO

If it's a man of course. I'm not sure you could staple a vagina to someones back... well, maybe you could.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

He may have been a minor when it occurred, find out the details.

The report Billy Vance posted said he was 18 and it was consensual...

Also, someone stated earlier that since there was no jail time, perhaps justice wasn't served...I think these sex offender notices and the fact that this will haunt him for the rest of his life, is justice...

if you had a choice...what would you guys pick....
Sex offender notices or 1yr in jail? just curious.

If he spent time in jail, sex offender notices will still go out in the community the offender moves to upon release.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I am totally against all legitimate sex offenders, however I have seen several instances where the girl looked a lot older than 11 (yes some girls do develop that early) and act a lot older and lie to the boy. If he legitimatly abused the girl, then yes I will be the first to bring a rope for the lynching. But if it is a case of satuatory rape, charged by the parents, cause thier daughter is a little hooch, then please make the efforts to find that out....

While it is remotely possible that a girl could look several years older, that excuse is likely overused. The only exception I might give is if the guy is just barely over the legal age and the girl is just under (thus a 1 or 2 year difference). If an older man has a thing for younger girlies who are just of legal age (sick but his perogative so long as they are legal I guess), the onus is on him to make sure they are of age. Don't sit there as a grown man with someone you apparently thought was an "of age" teenager and blame her for lying. If you cannot make an accurate judgement then you should aim for a higher age group so you have a margin of error. I get tired of hearing the "She looked to be of age" excuse.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Adults who have sex with children should have their nuts cut off and then be thrown to a pack of wolves with their bloody nutsack stapled to the centre of their back.

I do agree, but in the real world that will never happen. In light of the fact that these guys will eventually be paroled whether I like it or not I at least want to make sure that public safety is put first.

Not let free with no jail time, and a letter to the neighbours.

First, they should be declared dangerous offenders so that even upon completion of their sentence they can be denied parole of there is concern they will re-offend. The given sentence itself should be longer and treatment should not be voluntary. Furthermore, if they are paroled, there should be shitloads of safegaurds in place including highly restrictive parole conditions (for life) and electronic monitoring.

If you look at the notice, it says that he was released without being incarcerated - so he didn't serve any time.

He was apparently 18 at the time of the crime, and raped an 11-year-old.

How those two paragraphs above can go together, I do not know.

I do. The system cares more about the rights of offenders than the rights of honest citizens. Some will call what I just said an overused cliche but it is true.

I'm glad those of us who aren't guilty are simply perfect in our own little worlds...never having made mistakes makes for the lofty view of those that have.

Would you feel the same way if he moved in next door to you, and you had an 11-year-old daughter?

Personally I would be livid. Upon calming down I would take a few breaths and try to see how I could protect my family. I would arrange a meeting with all the neighbors and discuss the situation. I would try to find out as much as I could about his parole conditions and make sure the neighbors are aware of these conditions so if anyone spots him violating it they can report him. I would then have a talk with my children and make them aware of who he is and make sure that they understand he is dangerous and that they may never speak to him or be near him or his property, and that they are to tell me if he ever tries to talk to them. I (and presumably a few other neighboors) would at least let him know that we know who he is and that we are keeping a keen eye on him.

I guess that is the best we could do

Well, if it was my daughter, the dude wouldn't live long enough to see the inside of a prison. It's amazing that more of these guys aren't gunned down by angry fathers.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Personally I would be livid. Upon calming down I would take a few breaths and try to see how I could protect my family. I would arrange a meeting with all the neighbors and discuss the situation. I would try to find out as much as I could about his parole conditions and make sure the neighbors are aware of these conditions so if anyone spots him violating it they can report him. I would then have a talk with my children and make them aware of who he is and make sure that they understand he is dangerous and that they may never speak to him or be near him or his property, and that they are to tell me if he ever tries to talk to them. I (and presumably a few other neighboors) would at least let him know that we know who he is and that we are keeping a keen eye on him.

I guess that is the best we could do

Yep, pretty much. The person I talked to at the sheriff's office said to call if that perp does something he should not be doing, i.e. coming onto my property in a threatening manner, hell maybe even a simple trespassing, and he'll have violated his probation. Off to jail, bye bye fucker.

Then again, I'd want to know when he gets out so I can be prepared for any possible retaliation. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Got a dog?

Perhaps a GSD?
Presa Canario?
Rottweiler?
Doberman?

Seems the perps "type" may not like dogs.;):)
Many people are afraid of home invasions etc. but yet will elect not to have a dog, but rather get an alarm that will alert the police to show up and make out a report after the crime has occurred.:S

Some criminals may elect to try and defeat a large dog who is defending his domain, but that usually does not go well for them, and gives the owner valuable time to defend themselves.

Many times the police are more heavy handed with those considering retribution, than they are with the perps themselves.

Probably right. But I'd still off the SOB.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Many times the police are more heavy handed with those considering retribution, than they are with the perps themselves.

Very true. Now if you catch the perp invading your home and takes a step toward you or your family, by all means blow his ass away, especially if he has a weapon in his hand. If he looks threatening and physically imposing, but no weapon in hand, blow his ass away. Call it self defense. It's a little iffy though, but I would hope that the law would see it your way that way.

Well, if it was my daughter, the dude wouldn't live long enough to see the inside of a prison. .

That's understandable. I would not take vigilante action just because he moved into my neighborhood since that would result in me going to prison and my future kids having a jailbird dad.

If he harms your own daughter though, you are only human and would understandably harm or kill him. I would do the same thing and I feel no need to apologise for that sentiment.