BillyVance

Sex offender in the neighborhood

For all of those who find it so easy to condemn this person, please raise your hand if you obeyed all of the rules imposed by the parents of your girlfriend or boyfriend about sexual behavior. It was the law.
How many of you acted like a total gentleman until the day you said "I do"?
I see lots of little preggers out there running around. I'm sure they were all raped.

I was a gentleman. Didn't have sex until I was in college with my girlfriend who was just a bit older than me. 20 - 21.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I know for a fact that there are several fraternity brothers on California's list who were put there for streaking across the Cal State Fullerton quad. Sex crime? Probably not, since sex really had nothing to do with it. Stupid? Yes. Danger to others? um... no. Because of a moment of college stupidity, these guys have to pass out notices the rest of their lives.

I seem to recall you mentioning this in a prior discussion on this very topic, and yes that is a grotesque abuse of what the law was intended for. That said I don't think we should get rid of something because it was managed wrong. If the law is used in the manner in which it should be then the registry can be an effective tool to help parents safegaurd their children.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

And what if the prosecuter F'd it up like they usually do and the guy walks on some technicality? What then?

take him out and hope you killed the right guy
turn yourself in
hire a good lawyer
be prepared to pay for it

(pretty much what you'd do, glad to see you'd give the justice system the first crack though before the self righteous response)

but it's not 'justice', it's revenge. But in that case, I'm ok with it. (I think revenge is all about self gratification, and nothing to do with justice - but that would be a big pile of self gratification)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I previously posted this example of a case I personally handled where Meghan's law registration resulted in a real miscarriage of the intent of the law:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2793507#2793507

By the way, I have 2 daughters. I don't take this issue lightly.

I never thought you did Andy.

You and I may not agree on many things but I have no doubt that you take the law seriously.

If someone did harm your daughters, I think you would not rest until real justice was served.

The perps would be hoping that they were convicted.

Yep... got one of those dreaded notices in the mailbox. A 20 year old sex offender now lives less than 2000 feet from my home. >:( Apparently he was convicted of having sex with a 11 year old girl, but the notice seems to say he served no jail time??? What the fucking hell? :S

My neighbors across the street, who have a 15 year old daughter, are pissed too. They came over yesterday with a petition, and of course, I was the first to sign it (for the perp to move). We all have seen him walking up and down the street by our houses several times.

>:(

If I were a convicted sex offender planning on striking again, I think I'd probably chose my next victim from the list of households that signed the petition aimed at forcing me to move. But that's just me.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, if it was my daughter, the dude wouldn't live long enough to see the inside of a prison. It's amazing that more of these guys aren't gunned down by angry fathers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, basically, you're a murderer in waiting.

To the person who would rape my (hypothetical) daughter - Yes. I would think of it as justifiable homicide.

If it were some cougar doing your hypothetical son, would want to kill her, or just get some for yourself.;)

And I for one wouldn't convict him if I were on a jury.

Here's how I would react if I were on a jury trying a father going after the rapist of his daughter:

If the father killed the rapist of his daughter in a fit of rage, then I, too, would be sympathetic and vote to acquit.

HOWEVER, if the father, in his rage and not thinking straight, ended up, by mistake, killing not the rapist but an innocent person--then I would have no hesitation whatsoever about voting to convict the father. In fact, I might even vote for the death penalty for the father in such circumstances--and I'm not generally not that big a fan of the death penalty. It would not matter one iota that the father's desire for revenge was understandable--the understandable desire of an innocent bystander not to be killed would far outweigh my sympathy for the father in such a case.

So if you're an enraged father who kills and I'm on the jury, you better be absolutely sure you get the right guy.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

If the father killed the rapist of his daughter in a fit of rage, then I, too, would be sympathetic and vote to acquit.

On which ground?
Again, emotionally, I can't argue with your statement. But legally, that's a huge can of worm. If you make it "OK" for a father to kill his daughter's rapist, then you do not need a judicial system for cases of rapes, just let people take care of their own grievance. Then where do you draw the line when it comes to "justified emotionally driven violence"? is it OK for a person to kill his/her spouse's lover?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

If you're gonna take the moral high road, then it's probably not *right* to kill the rapist, but it's definitely valid.

I'm not going to take the moral high road.
I'm trying to say that solving violence with violence usually only brings even more violence.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

I am not saying that I don't see it as wong. Why wait untill a good guy strikes back before saying "lets do our job properly"? Why not take that approach from the outset (when the bad guy first strikes) and people may not feel the need to go vigilante.

I would agree with you if the person in question was escaped from the jail. However it looks like he was conditionally released by authorities, so I assumed it was done according to the law. Then the job was done properly. If the good guys do not like the law which allows that, they have the vote power to change it.

They absolutely need to implement the law better. The sex offender registry has become a tool for punishment rather than a tracking tool for the police and a notification system for neighborhoods. There are just too many people on that list that don't belong there to make the list of any practical use.

I second that. When I checked the potential property zip code with my realtor, there were 53 persons registered showed on the map. I asked him like it supposed to be an upscale neighborhood, and it looks like a ghetto; what's that? So he showed me several other zip codes, including the one I live now. 48 persons registered. After checking a couple more, we understood that Silicon Valley is so full of sex offenders, so we should lock our children at home till they are 18.

I know for a fact that there are several fraternity brothers on California's list who were put there for streaking across the Cal State Fullerton quad.

The first one I checked from the list was a person whose crime was "annoy/molest children". Sure if he molested them, he should be in the list. But why is "annoy" here? Doesn't make sense. The second was "indecent exposure". Pah. Why the database couldn't just show me ONLY the list of the people who committed a crime against a child, not mixing them with those who has been caught peeing in a public park? I don't understand that.

Again, emotionally, I can't argue with your statement.

I am not surprised anymore that the majority of people completely confuse 'justice' with 'revenge'. The word "emotionally" says it all. Glad to see a few of you do understand the difference.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Again, emotionally, I can't argue with your statement.

I am not surprised anymore that the majority of people completely confuse 'justice' with 'revenge'. The word "emotionally" says it all. Glad to see a few of you do understand the difference.

I think most people understand the difference between justice and revenge. Some of us think that sometimes it's okay to seek revenge. At least that's my take on it.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I think most people understand the difference between justice and revenge. Some of us think that sometimes it's okay to seek revenge. At least that's my take on it.

I don't think they really do. They continually refer to personal revenge as 'getting justice'.

True justice is not a personal thing, it's only a broad societal thing.

Seeking revenge is not ok. But I wouldn't say it wouldn't be an option for me if pushed to a point. I'd just recognize that it would be a (self gratification) action on my part and I'd have to pay for it and not hide from justice because of a self delusion about the nature of personal revenge.

Or at least I hope I'd have the personal character to recognize that I'd would be committing a serious crime no matter how right it might "feel" to me at the time or for whatever reasons.

There's a serious reason that victims of crimes don't get to pull the switch or inject the lethal dose - and it has everything to do with justice.

If it were some cougar doing your hypothetical son, would want to kill her, or just get some for yourself.;)

Well everyone knows that's different. She's training him. If that happens you tell your son how proud of him you are, take him to the nudie bar and buy him a beer.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I would agree with you if the person in question was escaped from the jail. However it looks like he was conditionally released by authorities, so I assumed it was done according to the law. Then the job was done properly. If the good guys do not like the law which allows that, they have the vote power to change it.

But that doesn't address the question. Why is it that the only time the justice system takes an interest in aggressively enforcing the law is when a good guy hurts a bad guy, and then goes back to business as usual when we go back to just having bad guys hurt good guys. There should be somne consistency I would hope.

If I were a convicted sex offender planning on striking again, I think I'd probably chose my next victim from the list of households that signed the petition aimed at forcing me to move. But that's just me.

Might be a potentially deadly mindset... Most of them may have just armed themselves.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

But that doesn't address the question. Why is it that the only time the justice system takes an interest in aggressively enforcing the law is when a good guy hurts a bad guy, and then goes back to business as usual when we go back to just having bad guys hurt good guys.

Because at the moment the so-called-good guy hurt someone, he becomes a bad guy, and we're now talking about one bad guy hurting another bad guy. And murder is more serious crime than rape.

And why you think the law "goes back to business as usual"? You're pissed off that a bad guy could be released on parole? Or you think that each crime should carry a death penalty or life sentense (so good guys won't have to hurt bad guys)?

True justice is not a personal thing, it's only a broad societal thing.

Really? What is TRUE justice then? To me, true justice is served the minute I hack the balls off the demented perv who raped my pre-teen daughter and he chokes to death on them. But that's just me.

And if you think our justice system is the path to TRUE justice, you are sadly mistaken. In a system where the guilty walk and the innocent burn, TRUE justice is a farce.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Because at the moment the so-called-good guy hurt someone, he becomes a bad guy,

That is why they get more concerened rather than equally concerned?

and we're now talking about one bad guy hurting another bad guy. And murder is more serious crime than rape.

Debateable, but yes obviously some context might be required. A store owner torturing a shoplifter to death would obviously be a more serious offence than the shoplifting. That said, if a serial rapist out on day parole for the umpteenth time gets attacked by a mob and sustains multiple broken bones I expect the cops to ask themselves if these vigilantes really represent that much of a threat to the public. I am sure you can point out extremes but the perception is that for two equal crimes, the one carried out by a vigilante will get more attention.

You're pissed off that a bad guy could be released on parole?

No I'm upset that when a decent human being gets hurt they are in effect told to "take a number" yet if one of the bad guys gets hurt the system dedicates it's efforts all of a sudden.

Or you think that each crime should carry a death penalty or life sentense (so good guys won't have to hurt bad guys)?

Resorting to the straw man are we?

I want the system to remind itself that most vigilantes who take the law into their own hands are usually decent people reacting to extreme circumstances, while criminals simply do it for amusement or profit. Who is the worse threat? If a man beat the shit out of someone who molested his daughter I will not fear him moving into my neighborhood since he is not likely to be a threat to the average person but if the pedophile moved into my neighborhood I would be afraid for my family. The law should try to factor in the long run effect.