moodyskydiver

President of the Mormon Church passed away

Gordon B. Hinckley,15th President and Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints passed away last night Jan, 27 2008 at the age of 97.

Official LDS press release

Does he get 72 virgins or had he already married them?:S
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Are you a Mormon? If so have you always been or did you convert? I'm curious if you are as to what attracted you to the Church of the latter day saints?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

They've got an invisible golden book. What more could you possibly need?

A little less ignorance would be fabulous.

Oh I'm sorry - it isn't invisible, he just wafted it (the gold plates inscribed by an American Jew in the 4th century) back to heaven. Yeah, makes far more sense than if they were just invisible.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You know, I don't always agree with other peoples belifes but I do respect them. In the link that Amber posted I found this...

President Hinckley wrote and edited several books and numerous manuals, pamphlets and scripts, including a best-selling book, Standing for Something, aimed at a general audience. In it he championed the virtues of love, honesty, morality, civility, learning, forgiveness, mercy, thrift and industry, gratitude, optimism and faith. He also testified of what he called the "guardians of virtue," namely traditional marriage and family.

So in answer to your question Jakee I think the entire world could do with more 'love, honesty, morality, civility, learning, forgiveness, mercy, thrift and industry, gratitude, optimism and faith'
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The official LDS obituary is hardly likely to be critical though, is it? I'd imagine the North Korean Government has some pretty stellar things to say about the directorial efforts of President Kim Jong-Il, but I'm not going to take their word for it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You know, I don't always agree with other peoples belifes but I do respect them. In the link that Amber posted I found this...

President Hinckley wrote and edited several books and numerous manuals, pamphlets and scripts, including a best-selling book, Standing for Something, aimed at a general audience. In it he championed the virtues of love, honesty, morality, civility, learning, forgiveness, mercy, thrift and industry, gratitude, optimism and faith. He also testified of what he called the "guardians of virtue," namely traditional marriage and family.

So in answer to your question Jakee I think the entire world could do with more 'love, honesty, morality, civility, learning, forgiveness, mercy, thrift and industry, gratitude, optimism and faith'

And be sure you're giving 10% of your pre-tax income, lest we not let you into the Salt lake city Temple or give you any sacraments...
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

And be sure you're giving 10% of your pre-tax income, lest we not let you into the Salt lake city Temple or give you any sacraments...

Not true.You may tithe as much as you wish,but whether you tithe or not you WILL be allowed to receive the sacrament regardless.I've never tithed and still receive sacrament any time I go to church.I was a convert to the church and though I dont agree with 100% of their doctrine I'm still a member.I'm technically an "inactive" member since I havent been in a long time.

I dont understand how so many people can throw rocks at a religion that they dont fully understand or are knowledgeable about.

If you really want to know what we believe then read our Articles of Faith:

~We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

~We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

~We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

~We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

~We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law

~We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Not true.You may tithe as much as you wish,but whether you tithe or not you WILL be allowed to receive the sacrament regardless.I've never tithed and still receive sacrament any time I go to church...

And entry to the SLC Temple, if you want to see a child or friend get married?

What if your Catholic parent wants to see you get married in the SLC temple? What then?
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

And entry to the SLC Temple, if you want to see a child or friend get married?

What if your Catholic parent wants to see you get married in the SLC temple? What then?

Anyone of any faith can go inside any temple for certain reasons.How do you think so many non-Mormons tour the SLC Temple? A Catholic or any other faith can be present at the civil service of a marriage or baptism etc. but not for other ceremonial sessions within the temple.Please understand, going to the temple isnt just "going to church". We only go to the temple for special reasons,not every Sunday.

If anyone truely wishes to learn about the church then please feel free to PM me or talk to a local member rather than trying to bait me on a public forum.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

EXAFO, you can't see your children married, period. Not a chance in hell, quite literally. You can't enter any part of the temple. Until recently, you couldn't even go onto the temple grounds, being forced to watch your child come out of the temple after the ceremony from outside the temple gates. It's made very clear during the temple ceremony that if your children or parents aren't "of the covenant" then they will be separated from you in heaven and you'll be given to someone else. In other words, not only can you have multiple wives in heaven, but you'll be given new parents if they're not members of the Church.
Contrary to Moodyskydiver's last post no one, not even a member of the LDS faith that has not been issued a temple recommend, may enter the temple. Ever. Under any circumstances, once the temple has been consecrated. The temple is open for a short time prior to consecration, so that the general public may tour it. Certain aspects of the temple are not placed until after the temple is consecrated.
Moodyskydiver, NOT ONE NON-MORMON ALIVE TODAY, HAS SEEN THE INSIDE OF THE LDS TEMPLE IN SALT LAKE CITY. ** If you're a member of the faith, you know this. You've never, ever been inside a consecrated temple because above, you say you've never paid a tithe. You cannot be issued a temple recommend without having paid your tithing in full.
**Apostates not included.

Contrary to Moodyskydiver's last post no one, not even a member of the LDS faith that has not been issued a temple recommend, may enter the temple. Ever. Under any circumstances, once the temple has been consecrated. The temple is open for a week prior to consecration, so that the general public may tour it.

Almost. Many temples open up every couple of years when they remodel parts. The Nauvoo, Houston, Seoul, and a few other temples I can think of were open for almost a Month for public tours.

We could go on and on about this, DSE. I can't see a single mormon-related thread without you going on about something negative . This isn't the place for that. The point is, Gordon B Hinckley, a man who has done MUCH Good in this world, for Mormons and non-Mormons alike, has passed away. He organized the Largest non-governmental relief efforts to SouthEast Asia during the Tsunami, he helped raise Millions for various causes, and he turned all the church's efforts, millions of dollars, and countless volunteers to New Orleans. He was a good man, and his death means something to me.
=========Shaun ==========

I didn't say anything about Hinckley.:S
Feeling defensive?
I didn't/won't say anything about Hinckley's death, I knew the man when I was younger, and have respect for him, despite any experiences I have related to his religion. He was as good a man as he could possibly have been given his choice of religion.

Moodyskydivers post intimates that non-mormons are are allowed to go into the temple for weddings, and that's simply not so.
No, many temples don't open every"couple of years for remodeling." Some temples, particularly the new McMormon pre-fab temples, open up every 10 years for remodeling, and more rarely, the older temples.
I failed to mention my adoptive father is a temple president?

You know, I don't always agree with other peoples belifes but I do respect them.

Why do you respect irrational beliefs that have no actual, objective supporting evidence? Do you respect the Gospel of the FSM too?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.