Andy_Copland

Stop Shoving Christianity Down My Throat

East of Vancouver in a particularly religious city there was a sign on the freeway-
FRASER VALLEY SKYDIVING
next sign-
PREPARE TO MEET YOUR MAKER
:D

ooh, do you have pictures?

Sometimes those billboard are funny. I recall driving down to LA on the 101 and seeing a church marque that said "If God is your copilot, CHANGE SEATS." I was laughing for miles.

You shouldn't take advocacy personally. It's when they shift from enticement to coercion (kill gays and abortion doctors, or pass our repressive legislation) that you should be bothered.

In Chilliwack BC there was a bible thumper who put up a huge sign saying "Prepare to Meet God" on his property so it would face the highway. As it turns out it also (by coincidence I suspect) was facing the end of the runway at Fraser Valley Skydiving Center so just as the cesnna was hitting lift-off the sign was almost in your face. First jump students really didn't like that.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

They're just using their income to try and generate more income. I consider those ads about as compelling as the ambulance-chaser legal advice ads.

On a related note - Am I correct that in the US, churches are exempt from paying taxes on their profits? If so, can anyone explain why this is and should be the case?

Blues,
Dave

They are exempt from any taxes. Seperation of church and state
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

They're just using their income to try and generate more income. I consider those ads about as compelling as the ambulance-chaser legal advice ads.

On a related note - Am I correct that in the US, churches are exempt from paying taxes on their profits? If so, can anyone explain why this is and should be the case?

Blues,
Dave

provided they steer clear of politics. If they voluntarily start mixing, they can lose that tax exempt status. (At least one major church should lose it)

Blues,
Dave

They are exempt from any taxes. Separation of church and state

provided they steer clear of politics. If they voluntarily start mixing, they can lose that tax exempt status. (At least one major church should lose it)

Exactly correct. Nice catch
Abraham Lincoln

Hey, you wanted to come here. You lasted a little longer than I expected before the whining would begin...enjoy...:P

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Congress can either make a law exempting churches from tax (which would be a law respecting an establishment of religion) or they can make a law taxing all businesses that generate a profit. It seems to me, admittedly a layman, that the latter would be more constitutionally sound. While small neighborhood churches are unlikely to operate at much, if any, profit, those companies with their own cable network are most assuredly businesses by any reasonable interpretation and, in my opinion, should be taxed like any other.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The signs dont bother me, it was just a shock seeing something as personal as religion being thrust in your face.

The "going to hell" ones are nothing once you see the "abortion kills/dead babies" signs.

To each his own, though. Guess ya' get immune to it when ya' live in the Bible Belt.

:)
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Congress can either make a law exempting churches from tax (which would be a law respecting an establishment of religion) or they can make a law taxing all businesses that generate a profit. It seems to me, admittedly a layman, that the latter would be more constitutionally sound. While small neighborhood churches are unlikely to operate at much, if any, profit, those companies with their own cable network are most assuredly businesses by any reasonable interpretation and, in my opinion, should be taxed like any other.

Blues,
Dave

Yep, you are right but, it is what it is.

For perspective, I am a (converted to) Cathlic. When it comes to the donations and (to a limit) property, I have no problem with the tax benifits of the church, or any church. When it comes to profit generated by property? Well, (and I have not thought this over much because I cant do anything about it) that is a whole different matter.

One could add to this debate though, the DNR in Iowa. The law here says the DNR will pay taxes on any property they (the DNR Dept of Natural Resources) own IF, they have any money in thier budget at the end of the year. Neadless to say, they NEVER have any money left at the end of the year. So, end result, every year more property is removed from the tax roles.

Point? whats the difference........
Abraham Lincoln

The only thing which is really bugging me at the moment is that there is no presidential candidate who believes in science a.k.a. is an atheist.

You dont believe science and religion can exist together?
Abraham Lincoln

The only thing which is really bugging me at the moment is that there is no presidential candidate who believes in science a.k.a. is an atheist.

I doubt that any candidate would admit to being an atheist, since that would likely cost them the election.

But anyhow, I'm pretty sure there are many scientists who are not atheists, so I'm not sure what you meant by that.

Mike Gravel is a Unitarian, and therefore I think the only Dem/Rep candidate that doesn't claim to be a Christian of some sort.(?) But he's pretty much out of the race now, so he doesn't count anyway.

And probably more than one...IMO
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Congress can either make a law exempting churches from tax (which would be a law respecting an establishment of religion)

Incorrect.

"August 15, 1789: The Committee of the Whole (headed by Madison, and established to propose the Bill of Rights to the House) debated the freedom of religion clause. Some members thought the clause would have a negative effect, and could even abolish religion. Madison defended the provision, and stated it was only meant to "prevent Congress from making 'laws of such a nature as might infringe the rights of conscience, and establish a national religion.'" and even "suggested that the word 'national' be inserted before 'religion.'"

or they can make a law taxing all businesses that generate a profit. It seems to me, admittedly a layman, that the latter would be more constitutionally sound. While small neighborhood churches are unlikely to operate at much, if any, profit, those companies with their own cable network are most assuredly businesses by any reasonable interpretation and, in my opinion, should be taxed like any other.

Blues,
Dave

I'm not sure where you could call a church a 'business', but .... interesting idea.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Um, what?

Explain how seperation of church and state means exempting churches from taxes?

Law
Abraham Lincoln

I'm not sure where you could call a church a 'business', but .... interesting idea.

:D:D:D:D

Remember, there are many given values of 'church'. Some of them will make far more money in a year than you or I will see in our lifetime.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

:D:D:D:D

Remember, there are many given values of 'church'. Some of them will make far more money in a year than you or I will see in our lifetime.

True.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706