Andy_Copland

Death Penalty Reviewed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7183957.stm

"If the killers who smash their victims on the side of the heads with hammers and then slit their throats go out in a euphoric high, that is not justice."

What is justice? I thought the death penalty was about the final result and not how much they make one suffer before they get there.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Gotta love some of the comments

***If due process is followed, then it is know HOW the murder was committed. It may not be humane, and does sound like revenge, but I feel a killer should die the same way their victim did. A shooter gets shot, a knife wielder gets stabbed. Brutal? Yes, but it may possibly add value as a deterrent, rather than a nice sleepy euthanasia method.

Moron.

I wonder who exactly this guy thinks should administer this form of "justice" to a criminal who raped his victim multiple times before beating them to death with a claw hammer?

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

***If due process is followed, then it is know HOW the murder was committed. It may not be humane, and does sound like revenge, but I feel a killer should die the same way their victim did. A shooter gets shot, a knife wielder gets stabbed. Brutal? Yes, but it may possibly add value as a deterrent, rather than a nice sleepy euthanasia method.

Moron.

I wonder who exactly this guy thinks should administer this form of "justice" to a criminal who raped his victim multiple times before beating them to death with a claw hammer?

By ass raping them and beating them to death with a claw hammer. Seems like the "eye for an eye" thing to me!
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

By ass raping them and beating them to death with a claw hammer. Seems like the "eye for an eye" thing to me!

I said "Who" not "How" - same letters, but the order in which they're placed does make a difference.:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

There would have to be a state by state appointment to the prison boards with the title of Offical State Ass Raping and Hammer Executioner.

I am sure there are plenty of self loathing homophobes( deeply closted right wing gays) who could fill those positions. I mean the whole eye for an eye thing is in the bible.. so its gods work right???

Moron.

You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". But I say to you, do not resist an evildoer. If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Jesus of Nazareth, according to Matthew 5:38–39)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

***"If the killers who smash their victims on the side of the heads with hammers and then slit their throats go out in a euphoric high, that is not justice."

What is justice? I thought the death penalty was about the final result and not how much they make one suffer before they get there.

I am of mixed feelings on this. While I agree that it shouldn't be gratuitously painfull just to satisfy the vindictive I don't think that we should go overboard on expense looking for the perfect method and for that matter I think the debate should be whether or not we do it at all rather than how we do it (within reason).

The reality is that for the vast majority of us death will not be painless. Heart attack, cancer, old age...etc there is always going to be some pain. Provided we are not going out of our way to cause it to the condemned and we are making reasonable accomodations for his/her comfort I say it should be done in the manner that is quickest and we should stop our hand-wringing over a moan or two from the guy. We could eliminate the methods that have a terrible track record (gas chamber seems to have had some ugly deaths) and narrow it down to a few least worst methods and even give the condemned a choice.

What I always find odd is that the elaborate methods we use in the west seem to cause more discomfort than some of those used in third world countries despite our condemnation of those countries. For example, China gives them a high powered rifle bullet to the back of the head. I would pick that over any current methods in the US. Saudi Arabia beheads people (again that sounds relatively quick).

One more thing; why do hangmen worry about dropping the condemned too far just because it may decapitate them? If I was going to be hung I would not give a shit if it decapitated me!! I would rather drop too far and have my head come off than strangle because my neck did not break!! Give me a 30 foot drop!!
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

One more thing; why do hangmen worry about dropping the condemned too far just because it may decapitate them? If I was going to be hung I would not give a shit if it decapitated me!! I would rather drop too far and have my head come off than strangle because my neck did not break!! Give me a 30 foot drop!!

One of my now-retired colleagues was a 1st Lt. assigned US Army prison duty in Germany after the surrender in 1945. One of his duties was to supervise hangings of GI's found guilty of murder (apparently there were quite a few). He said he found it very traumatic and distressing. I suspect it would have been far far worse if a few heads were pulled off in the process.

He became a firm opponent of the death penalty.

You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". But I say to you, do not resist an evildoer. If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Jesus of Nazareth, according to Matthew 5:38–39)

I hope eveyone understands my "eye for an eye" parody so let's not bring The Jesus into it. It was written even in Hamurabic Code (older that BASIC OR Pascal) with the intent of limiting retribution. I don't put much faith in the bible to convey God's intent. It was written by man.

"If the killers who smash their victims on the side of the heads with hammers and then slit their throats go out in a euphoric high, that is not justice."

NO, the DP is about retribution. Also, as a bonus, it is good for ensuring innocent people never see freedom.

One of my now-retired colleagues was a 1st Lt. assigned US Army prison duty in Germany after the surrender in 1945. One of his duties was to supervise hangings of GI's found guilty of murder (apparently there were quite a few). He said he found it very traumatic and distressing. I suspect it would have been far far worse if a few heads were pulled off in the process.

Hanging of US GI's, or Nazi war criminals?

I hope eveyone understands my "eye for an eye" parody so let's not bring The Jesus into it. It was written even in Hamurabic Code (older that BASIC OR Pascal) with the intent of limiting retribution. I don't put much faith in the bible to convey God's intent. It was written by man.

Eye for an eye is most prolifically known from the bible, so that is a fair attribution.

Eye for an eye is most prolifically known from the bible, so that is a fair attribution.

Actually, it is most prolifically know as coming from rednecks' mouths, but that doesn't mean it's OK for people to not fully understand it's root and intended function.

I guess I was looking at it more from the condemned mans perspective and overlooked the effects on the hangman.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I too would be interested in the answer to that question - was it of US Soldiers or Nazi war Criminals?

I too am not really satisfied with the methods of execution we employ... While I agree that yes, there are some circumstances where the death penalty may be required, it does not need to become some spectacle for public entertainment or involve some overly expensive or over-engineered death machine. Also, I want to bear in mind that while we need an efficient manner of ending a life, we need to be careful not to make the method such that we have an "assembly line" method for applying the ultimate punishment.

Okay, this is the speakers corner, so I'll speak my mind. Each year, hundreds of people are suffering, dying in need of an organ transplant. While I agree it is wrong to capitalize off the execution of another human being, if we make the method such that no internal organs are destroyed then we can give the condemned an option to do one last bit of good before their time is up. Electrocution, Lethal Gas, and Injection all destroy tissue such that they are rendered unusable. Perhaps China is onto something when the just put one bullet in the back of the head....
=========Shaun ==========

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/mar/29/broadcasting.channel4

Between 1942 and 1944 about 1.5 million American servicemen were based in Britain. Shepton Mallet prison in Somerset was handed over to the US authorities. The British government also lent them the services of the prison hangmen, Albert Pierrepoint and his uncle Thomas.

Although the American army was 90% white, 10 of the 18 men hanged there were black Americans and three were Mexican-Americans. Eight people were hanged for murder, six for rape and four for murder and rape. Of the six executed for rape alone, five were black Americans and one a Mexican-American.

Hanging of US GI's, or Nazi war criminals?

US GI's. Nazis were tried in different courts.

I guess I was looking at it more from the condemned mans perspective and overlooked the effects on the hangman.

He wasn't the hangman. Just the supervising officer.

There would have to be a state by state appointment to the prison boards with the title of Offical State Ass Raping and Hammer Executioner.

I am sure there are plenty of self loathing homophobes( deeply closted right wing gays) who could fill those positions. I mean the whole eye for an eye thing is in the bible.. so its gods work right???

Time to teach that pony a new trick, Jeanne... it's getting old(er).
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Luke 22:36

Sometimes, all a criminal understands is strength.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Time to teach that pony a new trick, Jeanne... it's getting old(er).

MMMKKK

So tell me.. how many gay men have been beaten and sodomized by good little homophobes....

And we all know about those studies of who the homophobes are and why they act that way.. to cover up their own dirty sinfull guilty desires of hot man on man monkey sex....