Nanotechnology Quiz

gotta get nerdgirl on this....... i think that she's knowledgeable about Nano tech.....

Know a 'little'. ;)

Only got 9/10 .. missed the last one. :|

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

WoW!

8/10 without knowing crap about it!
Today is my lucky day! I should go buy a lottery ticket.

I shoulda got 9/10..."buckyballs" was vaguely familiar.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

8 of 10 - I had one of them right and changed it. The other was a 'goo question.

pure guess work

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The goo-bers really screwed me up. Red & green like totally make more sense for the mnemonically-inclined & blondes.

The other was a 'goo question.

Don't get too hung up on the 'goo' questions. Back in 2003, 'green' (bio-nanotech gray goo) and 'red' goo ("weaponized" gray goo) hadn't yet been dubbed.

I don't endorse any of the goo notions (violate 2nd Law of Thermodynamics & problems with viscous flow, i.e. Reynolds number, in fluids like air) unless they're shot out of a silly-string like dispenser ... and smell good. B|

Drexler has professionally reemphasized the fundamental limits of physics relating to nano-engineered devices, emphatically distanced himself from the self-replicating ‘nano-bots’ notion, and now acknowledges the unexpected and unintended hyperbole that arose with the “grey goo” concept. See Drexler's “The Road to Advanced Nanotechnologies,” presentation at the National Academy of Sciences Sackler Colloquia on Nanomaterials in Biology and Medicine: Promises and Perils,” Washington, D.C. 10-11 April 2007. Brief and audio available through: http://www.nasonline.org/site/PageNavigator/SACKLER__nanoprobes_program. At approximately 30 minutes into talk (Slide 32), Drexler profusely apologizes for his unintended role in promulgating the nanotechnology to nanomachines to nanofabricators to replicators to nanobugs.

A number of non-governmental groups, however, have emerged the main proponents (and sometimes critics) of the notional concept of molecular nanotechnology, e.g., The Foresight Institute (http://www.foresight.org/), the Institute for Molecular Manufacturing (http://www.imm.org/), Center for Responsible Nanotechnology (http://www.crnano.org/), and The Lifeboat Foundation (http://lifeboat.com/ex/main).

There were lots of other small to medium technical quibbles that would really just be nit-picking (& since I'm not paid to nit-pick, aka subject-matter-expert in this case nor was it a Speaker's Corner poll ...). :P

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I don't endorse any of the goo notions (violate 2nd Law of Thermodynamics & problems with viscous flow, i.e. Reynolds number, in fluids like air)

Yes, that was my sentiment exactly...

;)

But, I hear there's a consensus building on "goo"
my favorite goo?

Shoe Goo - It keeps booties intact to extend time between rebuilds. (that can be taken in either a Bonfire, or an RW, forum context, depending on one's mood)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

But, I hear there's a consensus building on "goo" my favorite goo?

Nope ... I'm a grey goo denier.

It's more controversial -- in some ways -- than climate change, e.g. Nanotechnology: [Eric] Drexler and [Richard] Smalley make the case for and against 'molecular assemblers'

Shoe Goo - It keeps booties intact to extend time between rebuilds. (that can be taken in either a Bonfire, or an RW, forum context, depending on one's mood)

Caught a bootie on very small 182 step, launching a 4-way -- shoe goo would have been helpful.

VR/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

Yes.

Edit: Do I want to know why you ask? :P I "solarized" the original photo.

It looked unusual, I've never seen a 2 foot long human neck before :P - cool shot