billvon

O'Reillys "War on Christmas"

Looks like the "War on Christmas" folks have a few newly blooded warriors:

==================================
NEW YORK (CNN)

A Muslim man jumped to the aid of three Jewish subway riders after they were attacked by a group of young people who objected to one of the Jews saying "Happy Hanukkah," a spokeswoman for the three said Wednesday.

. . .

Friday's altercation on the Q train began when somebody yelled out "Merry Christmas," to which rider Walter Adler responded, "Happy Hanukkah," said Toba Hellerstein.

"Almost immediately, you see the look in this guy's face like I've called his mother something," Adler told CNN affiliate WABC.

Two women who were with a group of 10 rowdy people then began to verbally assault Adler's companions with anti-Semitic language, Hellerstein said.

One member of the group allegedly yelled, "Oh, Hanukkah. That's the day that the Jews killed Jesus," she said.

When Adler tried to intercede, a male member of the group punched him, she said.

Another passenger, Hassan Askari -- a Muslim student from Bangladesh -- came to Adler's aid, and the group began physically and verbally assaulting him, Hellerstein said.

"A Muslim-American saved us when our own people were on the train and didn't do anything," Adler said.

. . . .

The 10 suspects, ages 19 to 20, were taken into custody, said Brooklyn district attorney spokesman Sandy Silverstein.

Askari was first handcuffed alongside them, but he was released when Adler told police he was not an attacker, Hellerstein said.

Alder was treated at Long Island College Hospital for injuries that included a fractured nose and a cut lip that required several stitches, while Askari suffered a black eye, Hellerstein said.
==================================

The punch would be considered a hate crime in this case I would guess. Bunch of kids, probably not very educated.

A little off topic....I think to prevent most wars every person in the world should be taught about all 3 major religions. Often times we get into altercations based on prejudices. Simply educating people about the beliefs of others (in a matter of fact way) would reduce much of these altercations.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

> The punch would be considered a hate crime in this case I would guess.

Probably, but the whole "hate crime" thing is a bit silly I think. Is assault more OK if you just want their money and don't dislike their religion? I think it's silly to try to make that distinction; a crime is a crime.

He has proclaimed that there is a war going on between christians and the "secular progressive agenda" to get christianity and spirituality out of the "public square." He's called for people to fight this, and it looks like he is getting his war.

> The punch would be considered a hate crime in this case I would guess.

Probably, but the whole "hate crime" thing is a bit silly I think. Is assault more OK if you just want their money and don't dislike their religion? I think it's silly to try to make that distinction; a crime is a crime.

Crime is a crime. I already see the newspapers labeling it as a hate crime. Had this been a black person rather than a jew we would have been hearing from Al Sharpton by now.

He has proclaimed that there is a war going on between christians and the "secular progressive agenda" to get christianity and spirituality out of the "public square." He's called for people to fight this, and it looks like he is getting his war.

True, but I sincerely doubt he will condone this type of "warfare". And I bet you doubt it too, so it doesn't o'really relate to his agenda. I'll let you know if he mentions the incedent.

. . =(_8^(1)

O'Reilly, to me, is just another 'rabble rouser'.

Chuck

A little off topic....I think to prevent most wars every person in the world should be taught about all 3 major religions.

Christianity, Islam and Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist.
according to these guys
If you were thinking of Judaism, they rank twelfth.

Fair enough. All are to be taught (minus 20 and 21 :P ) . Seriously though, dont you think that we would be more tolrent of each other if we just learned a bit about the others' belief system, and not from a critical stand point, but simply factual.

>O'Reilly, to me, is just another 'rabble rouser'.

That he is. And like Limbaugh, Coulter, Franken et al - the more rabble he rouses, the more money he makes. It's unfortunate that so many people take them as serious commentators instead of entertainers.

It's unfortunate that so many people take them as serious commentators instead of entertainers.

Not un-like most news readers. Seems like, all the so-called 'news channels' are nothing more than the latest in entertainment and how good they look on camera. It's all about the money and the ratings.

Chuck

Christianity, Islam and Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist.
according to these guys
If you were thinking of Judaism, they rank twelfth.

Fair enough. All are to be taught (minus 20 and 21 :P ) .

What's wrong with Unitarian-Universalism? They're about the most tolerant of any religious group (if they're even considered a religious group). Hmm, I'm guessing you meant #22 instead (Scientology)?

And yeah, it would probably be a good idea for all people to learn about all the major religions. But I suspect that (for example) in a strict Christian household, the other religions would be taught in a manner of "this is what they believe, but they're wrong."

And actually, the Unitarians have really good religious classes for children (and adults too). But their perspective is that most religions are basically trying to reach the same goal, and that none of them are necessarily wrong or right. The only thing they really "preach" about is tolerance.

Good work on his part for stepping in to help. Shame on the idiots on the subway for attacking a guy for simply expressing a holiday greeting.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

>O'Reilly, to me, is just another 'rabble rouser'.

That he is. And like Limbaugh, Coulter, Franken et al - the more rabble he rouses, the more money he makes. It's unfortunate that so many people take them as serious commentators instead of entertainers.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Such comments are typical of people who rarely/never actually listen to what these people are saying.

In O'Reilly's case he has taken on elements of society that deliberately seek to eradicate any respectful mention of Judeo-Christian tradition from the public square.

With regard to the war against Christmas, he is not dumping on people who say "Happy Holidays." He is taking on major corporations which in the past have ORDERED employees NOT to greet customers with "Merry Christmas," etc. In addition, he has criticized those who would change our traditions by force (i.e. "holiday trees.")

O'Reilly did not start this war. He has taken a defensive position against the aggression of the secularists who have attempted to ram their narrow beliefs down Americans' throats for many years now. All he is doing is drawing attention to the matter, providing information so people can make informed decisions. The fact that educated citizens are choosing not to do business with companies that support such policies is simply a function of the free market.

Cheers,
Jon S.

But their perspective is that most religions are basically trying to reach the same goal, and that none of them are necessarily wrong or right. The only thing they really "preach" about is tolerance.

Sort of a Mamby Pamby, what ever floats your boat kind of religion. Something that you can really get ahold of.;)

But their perspective is that most religions are basically trying to reach the same goal, and that none of them are necessarily wrong or right. The only thing they really "preach" about is tolerance.

Sort of a Mamby Pamby, what ever floats your boat kind of religion. Something that you can really get ahold of.;)

Yeah, I don't really think of UU as a religion, though I guess they call themselves one. It seems to be more of a fellowship of like-minded people, spiritual with a sort of political twist. But the main message that they seem to be carrying is tolerance, and I don't think that's so difficult to get a hold of. ;)

And if you prefer the rigid "this is what you must do or you will go to hell" kind of religion, then UU is definitely not for you.

Fair enough. All are to be taught (minus 20 and 21 :P )

What's wrong with Rastafarians? (You really shouldn't say Rastafarianism because the followers of Ras Tafari don't believe in isms).
Actually they should not be listed separately as they are Christians; at least to the same degree that Mormans are Christians.

.... Seriously though, dont you think that we would be more tolerant of each other if we just learned a bit about the others' belief system, and not from a critical stand point, but simply factual.

In another thread someone was politely asked if he knew how offensive a post of his was to millions of Christians. The first response the poster got was by someone trying to be even more offensive.

A little respect is all it takes. Alas, from what I see in this forum, respect is a rare commodity. A lot of folks seem to take pleasure in being as rude and offensive as possible. The biting insults traded daily, the frequent use of vile profanities, the complete intollerance demonstrated all the time - all in the name of freedom of speech, no doubt - suggests that there is a long way to go to simple respect for each other.

It is very apparent that those posters who conduct themselves with dignity and respect immediately seem to be the more tolerant and respectful, and invariably their posts are the ones that I prefer to read.

Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sort of a Mamby Pamby, what ever floats your boat kind of religion. Something that you can really get ahold of.

Yeah, I don't really think of UU as a religion, though I guess they call themselves one. It seems to be more of a fellowship of like-minded people, spiritual with a sort of political twist. But the main message that they seem to be carrying is tolerance, and I don't think that's so difficult to get a hold of.

And if you prefer the rigid "this is what you must do or you will go to hell" kind of religion, then UU is definitely not for you.

You can tell which people belong to this sort of thinking. They are the ones who say that they are spiritual, but they don't believe in God. How nice.
I interpret that to mean that they believe that they can live life as they choose, without consequences for stupidity [sin].

You can tell which people belong to this sort of thinking. They are the ones who say that they are spiritual, but they don't believe in God. How nice.
I interpret that to mean that they believe that they can live life as they choose, without consequences for stupidity [sin].

Well yeah, if they don't believe in god, then they likely don't believe in sin. But that doesn't mean that they don't have a good sense of what is right or wrong. And not everyone needs the threat of heaven/hell to want to do what is right.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to hijack the thread to talk about the UU's. I think that the "War on Christmas" has been happening before O'Reilly "invented" it, but that's just a guess on my part.