ryoder

Won't sign a traffic ticket? That's a tasering!

No sound on my computer, but I do think the douchebag cop went overboard with the taser. Dude wasn't even getting physical at all. Maybe he should have obeyed the cop's commands, but the tasering, geez. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Technically; a ticket is a certificate of arrest and the officer is just releasing you on an OR.
When the kid refused to sign, the only other option is physical arrest.
I think he was a little too quick on the draw.
Once the physical arrest was made, the kid was right, he wasn't read his rights.
My guess is an attorney will make this go away and the officer will receive a reprimand.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It sounded as if the guy was complaining that the cop hadn't even told me how fast he was going. Seems odd, because that should be written on the ticket.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Officers, time to chime in: does the law in your jurisdiction allow for/ require the arrest of an individual who doesn't sign a ticket? I live in VA, and I was under the impression (though not sure about it) that it really didn't amount to a hill of beans whether or not you signed the ticket, you were getting charged one way or the other. EDIT: Bigun answered this for me while I was typing

I guess you could also state the cop wasn't going to arrest him, just get him cuffed and in the back of his unit while he searched the vehicle, using the motorist's "unusual" behavior as probable cause?

Both parties are to blame for this one. The motorist was a prick and DID move toward his vehicle like he was going to leave. But the officer completely overreacted IMO. For me it's the whole "severity of the action vs. the consequences of nonaction" thingy: taser a perp trying to drive away from the scene of a murder or assault? Sure. Taser a driver who may be guilty of speeding with no other indications of reckless driving? Not so sure.

OTOH, you can't just let people stroll away from a traffic stop; it completely takes all the power away from the officer to enforce the law. Yeah, this whole situation sucks ass.

I appreciate the taser as a very effective tool for law enforcement. I also notice that the overuse and abuse of tasers has been in the news an AWFUL lot lately... the worst part is I'm sure most cops are perfectly appropriate with their use of the taser. It's the same way with Fire/Rescue, it's the same way with skydiving; hell, its the same way with everything.

Elvisio "nuff said" Rodriguez

It's odd how things like this go. When the police first started using tasers, the argument was that they'd only be used as an alternative to deadly force.

Hasn't taken that long for the paramaters under which they're used to be broadened, to say the least. I'd like to see 'em go back to those original standards and never use the things unless it's an alternative to deadly force. No excuse for it, imho.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Note the exchange between the cop and the motorist just before the tasering, then compare that to the story the cop told the other cop at the end.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fae_1195587967&p=1

Welcome to the new NAZI America. Cop needs off the force. Or better yet it wouldn't bother me in the least if somebody shot him. All about revenue. Fuckin assholes. Go find a real criminal. Pussy motherfuckers.>:(
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

It's odd how things like this go. When the police first started using tasers, the argument was that they'd only be used as an alternative to deadly force.

Hasn't taken that long for the paramaters under which they're used to be broadened, to say the least. I'd like to see 'em go back to those original standards and never use the things unless it's an alternative to deadly force. No excuse for it, imho.

I agree. This one and the Vancouver incident look as if the cops are using the Taser first to avoid grappling with the suspect at all.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I agree. This one and the Vancouver incident look as if the cops are using the Taser first to avoid grappling with the suspect at all.

I'm not condoning the cop's actions, but I'd like to know his dept's reasonings or rules regarding taser conduct. But maybe, the cops would rather taser the dude than risk a physical altercation. Suppose the suspect has HIV or some dangerous blood-borne disease that could get transferred in a fight?

But yeah, it's just a damn ticket. Sign it then fight it in court. Looks like he'll get off anyway due to the cop's actions.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

But yeah, it's just a damn ticket. Sign it then fight it in court. Looks like he'll get off anyway due to the cop's actions.

I keep all my tickets. It looks like the two I got in CO state that the signature is "a promise to appear in court". I also have a ticket from MI about 15 years ago that didn't even require a signature. That may be because I was from out of state (IL), and it was handled by mail.

Note the exchange between the cop and the motorist just before the tasering, then compare that to the story the cop told the other cop at the end.

That guy had his back turned when he was tasered. The cop is a fucking coward.

yes, but didn't you realise that cops are god !!!!

it seems to me that a cop can do anything he wants to you if you so much as look at him wrong, dare to not follow his orders and he can kill you and not have any come back for it

like i said before, pigs in uniform, fuck them and pull the trigger on them

I'm still wondering how the hell that video got out into the public domain. I'm thinking somebody in the department wasn't happy with what the cop did.

I'm still wondering how the hell that video got out into the public domain. I'm thinking somebody in the department wasn't happy with what the cop did.

Good point. Personal vendetta, maybe?

yes, but didn't you realise that cops are god !!!!

it seems to me that a cop can do anything he wants to you if you so much as look at him wrong, dare to not follow his orders and he can kill you and not have any come back for it

Is this Exlax?
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

What is your beef with cops about? And don't straw man me by accusing me of thinking they are all good because I have seen some real shitheads (as with any profession). Why do you so desperately want to see cops dead on the ground?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Officers, time to chime in: does the law in your jurisdiction allow for/ require the arrest of an individual who doesn't sign a ticket? I live in VA, and I was under the impression (though not sure about it) that it really didn't amount to a hill of beans whether or not you signed the ticket, you were getting charged one way or the other.

Signing a ticket in most states is merely a pledge to show up in court. Failure to sign means you are not "promising" to show up in court, therefore an arrest can be made so a bond can be posted. In my state WE sign the citation, then there is no arguing over signing something.

I guess you could also state the cop wasn't going to arrest him, just get him cuffed and in the back of his unit while he searched the vehicle, using the motorist's "unusual" behavior as probable cause?

Nah, I say (educated guess) the guy was going to jail for failure to sign the ticket.

I will say that a taser is not a substitute for good communication skills. IMHO the taser was used too early if at all, second a couple mins of "verbal judo" or other de-escalation techniques could have been in order here.
This didn't occur in a vacuum, if you look at the troopers demeanor at first the guy may have just gotten a warning, instead the arguing starts. The side to the road is no place to argue. This also appears to be some type of construction type zone, the troopers presence there may have been because of prior safety related issues.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"