JohnRich

England: Air Gun Crime

News:
New law warning to airgun dealers

POLICE yesterday warned North Wales airgun traders to register as firearm dealers or face prosecution. Anyone failing to do so may face a maximum £5,000 or 12 months’ imprisonment.

Calls were made for a crack down on airguns after a series of incidents across the region in recent years where people and animals were hurt or killed.

“Now fishing tackle shops, gift shops, hardware stores and others who sell air weapons will all be affected by the change in law, and will have to register with us.”
Source: The Sun

That'll sure teach those air gun criminals a lesson! Because the best way to stop criminals, is to punish the innocent.

all those ladies on page three without bras are far more dangerous and you don't see us restraining them do you?

Perhaps England should register nude models as a means of reducing sex crime.

That would make about as much sense as this air gun seller registration.

all those ladies on page three without bras are far more dangerous and you don't see us restraining them do you?

Perhaps England should register nude models as a means of reducing sex crime.

It's all fun until one of them pokes your eye out!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A cabbage soup with shredded cabbage, beef broth, tomatoes, potatoes, and more. Delicious cabbage soup, and be sure to scroll down to see more cabbage and cabbage soup recipes. Shared by Mary Ann.
INGREDIENTS:
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoon butter
2 cans (10 1/2 oz each) condensed beef broth
1 small head green cabbage, coarsely shredded
2 carrots, sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 stalk celery (including leaves), sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 tsp salt
Pinch of freshly ground pepper
PREPARATION:
Cook and stir onions in Dutch oven until tender. Add beef broth, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, celery and tomatoes. Add enough water to thoroughly cover all ingredients by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and add seasonings.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Pity you seemed to not have read much by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. After all, Colonel Sebastian Moran, "the second most dangerous man in London" used an air gun.

Do you think that if the hardware store from which Mr. Moran had purchased his air gun had paid a government registration fee, that he then would have been unable to commit his crime?

Do you think that if the hardware store from which Mr. Moran had purchased his air gun had paid a government registration fee, that he then would have been unable to commit his crime?

Considering Moran was a fictional character . . . it's kinda hard to know!

I do know that according to the books, Holmes was far more afraid of air guns than "normal" ones since the air gun could be used without drawing the immediate attention of the police due to its almost silent operation.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I do know that according to the books, Holmes was far more afraid of air guns than "normal" ones since the air gun could be used without drawing the immediate attention of the police due to its almost silent operation.

Fictional? Here's his picture:

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Uh-huh, and you put forth this fictional character as an example of why air guns are dangerous. You just argued against yourself. That was fun to watch.

What would be your best guess about the efficacy of such a air gun seller registration, if it had applied in this fictional case? Would it have stopped Mr. Moran from committing a crime?

And how would seller registration prevent such criminal usage of an air gun?

Instead of beating around the bush, just try answering directly the issue of this thread.

Instead of beating around the bush . . .

But I like beating on GWB; he's such an easy target of derision.

None the less I will acquiesce to your request and try not to make a mess, lest, not in jest, you protest.

I think the real point is that air guns are simply a gun with a different propellent. If England wants to ban them, well, fuck it, I live in the U.S. Different countries have different laws and customs. My guess is you wouldn't have a very good time in Iran either, but who gives a shit? It's a different country.

Do I think them banning air guns will have any real affect on the crime rate? Yeah, as a matter of fact I do because they is not a very large demand for them on the black market in England right now, but since your mind is already made up, what difference does my opinion have?

Now . . . ask me WHAT affect I think banning the air guns would have. I think THAT answer might surprise you. Ah what the hell, I'm feeling generous and will answer that question wihtout you having to ask it.

"Normal" guns will get used even more, because if somebody is going to go to the trouble to get a black market gun of any sort, they'll get a "normal" one -- not an air gun.

Surprised?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think the real point is that air guns are simply a gun with a different propellent. If England wants to ban them...

Banning them is not what the news story, or this thread, is about. It's about making the stores that sell them pay a registration fee, as if that is somehow going to magically prevent the purchasers from later committing crimes with those guns.

Instead of beating around the bush...

But I like beating on GWB; he's such an easy target of derision.

(The following response is not directed specifically at you, but is just a general comment about this forum. It would probably be more applicable in the thread "Is Iran itching to start WWIII", but what the heck, I'll throw it in here, since you opened the door with your comment.)

And that's a big impediment to serious discussion on so many issues here. Some people are so hung-up on hating President Bush and America, that no matter what subject is presented about a problem elsewhere in the world, the only response from these folks is along the lines of; "Oh yeah, well Bush/America is just as bad." I think if Iran was to drop a nuke on Tel Aviv, instead of discussing how serious that action is, their response would be; "Oh yeah, well America dropped two nukes. So there!" The end result is, that such things don't get discussed at all, because of all the irrelevant bullshit that enters into the thread. And that's too bad. So we go around blindly with our heads in the sand, ignoring the very real threat of Iran, because if we talk about it, all it does is get responses calling people bigots, and pointing out how evil America is.

I wish that people could put aside their anti-American hatred long enough to actually focus on the other subjects at hand.

Speech off.

Very, very true.

It's also important for the person stating his argument to try and make his point and his source of a good nature.

Using a tabloid newspaper of poor reputation (as a source), to try and make a sensible point isn't really going to present itself as sensible is it?

So then you're setting off on the wrong foot, 'int 'cha?

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Respecting your poll, I think air gun owners should register.

When I was 10 years old, there was about 6 of us who owned air rifles, without our parents knowledge or consent.

Imagine the destruction 6 silly wee boys can cause with such weapons?

At the very least, when wee bastards get caught shooting Farmer Brown's bull in the nuts, the police can then seek the registered owner.

Air rifles will be less likely to fall into the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

It's also important for the person stating his argument to try and make his point and his source of a good nature. Using a tabloid newspaper of poor reputation (as a source), to try and make a sensible point isn't really going to present itself as sensible is it?

Nope, I see that as just more irrelevant crap in the thread. If people can't put aside their general perception of a source in order to focus on the actual story, then they're just wasting everyone's time. In the bank robbery story where I used The Sun, despite all the wailing about that publication being a tabloid, not a single person was willing to accept my challenge and point out for me anything factually incorrect about their version of the story. So once again, people just went off on a tangent, instead of talking about the actual subject matter.

Yes, that's right John. But you have now highlighted the point I made earlier.

Using the 'Sun' as your source was detrimental to the point you were trying to make. It took the attention away. Naturally your not exactly happy with this.

It's all down to the presentation!

I'm sure you'd find it easier to present your point using a less notorious source. People would then give it the attention you feel it deserves, whether you feel the 'notorious' source is wrong or right.