lawrocket

Clovis, CA family loses second son in Iraq

Clovis, California has one of the highest median incomes in the Central Valley. It's generally considered to be an Irvine kind of place. Upper middle class and white.

Clovis just lost a seventh son to the Iraq war. Five of them came from the same high school. And two have now come from the same family - brothers.

Nathan Hubbard, 21, a 2005 graduate of Buchanan High School, was killed in the Blackhawk crash a couple of days ago - while his brother Jason, 33, was flyign in another helicopter.

Nathan joined the Army in 2005 following the death of his brother, Jared, in a 2004 bombing. Jared joined the Marines with his Buchanan High School friend Jeremiah Baro.

Jason, a former Sheriff's officer, enlisted in 2005 with Nathan in order to be there with him. Some have said that Jason wanted to be there to protect Nathan.

THis is having some somber repercussions here in the Valley. I don't know whether these are the first siblings killed in Iraq. But Clovis seems to be taking a pretty big loss in this war - with no loss as big as the Hubbard Family.

They are certainly in my thoughts and prayers.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hi lawrocket,

I seem to remember that former Sen. Mark Hatfield (R-OR) got a bill passed during Vietnam that if one sibling was killed in combat the other(s) were exempt from combat.

It came from what happened to two Oregonians (both were younger brothers of an old jump buddy of mine). They both joined the Navy during Vietnam to stay out of combat (their older brother had been in the Marine Corps) but the Navy made them medics. Navy medics go with the Corps into combat; at least back then. They both were KIA.

Would you know anything about that federal legislation?

Thanks,

JerryBaumchen

I feel for the family. God bless them and their sons.

I don't recall seeing anything in the news about Clovis or the Hubbard family. Perhaps the demographics of Clovis make the story less newsworthy.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Havent you read his rants before.. America is the actual terrorist and we "deserved" the 9/11 attacks because of our following national interests around the world...:S:S:S:S

Oh, I thought it was some kid who made a tandem and loves to get on a skydiving forum so he can stir the crap and feel better about himself? ;):S

steveOrino

The U.S. National Public Radio (NPR) radio show "Weekend Edition Sunday" did a very respectful story on the brothers and their family: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=13957546

VR/
marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

RIP terrorist brothers

Maybe you should explain that comment.:|

It is fairly self explanatory

Havent you read his rants before.. America is the actual terrorist and we "deserved" the 9/11 attacks because of our following national interests around the world...:S:S:S:S

'Deserved' and 'had coming' are two distinctly different things as I have previously explained and 'following national interests' is a fair description for when YOU do it but for everyone else its 'terrorism'.

Oh, I thought it was some kid who made a tandem and loves to get on a skydiving forum so he can stir the crap and feel better about himself? ;):S

Fundamental Christians are the last people that should throw words like 'kid' around given the childlike necessity required for their beliefs.

RIP terrorist brothers

Maybe you should explain that comment.:|

It is fairly self explanatory

'Deserved' and 'had coming' are two distinctly different things as I have previously explained and 'following national interests' is a fair description for when YOU do it but for everyone else its 'terrorism'.

Fundamental Christians are the last people that should throw words like 'kid' around given the childlike necessity required for their beliefs.

Get a dictionary and read what a fundamental Christian is. I'm far from that. Why do I keep having this image of some pot marked kid who gets his jollys by making inflammatory remarks while he hides his real identity. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Yeah, thought so. :ph34r::|

steveOrino

I saw this on the news, there is also a third brother who is now being sent home. They were making comparrisons with Saving Private Ryan.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Here;s an interview with th esurviving son and with the father:

http://www.fresnobee.com/updates/photo/story/125738.html

Jason Hubbard said this in response to the question "What do you think you would say to young men or women about enlisting?" - which I found extremely poinant:

I think the truth of the matter is as a country we raise people to be patriotic, we want people to serve our country. We instill it within everyone in this country from the day they are born to the day they die. It’s everything. So I think as young men and women grow up, some of them feel the need to serve our country, and I think that’s important. I would encourage that. I would never discourage that. The reality of what we’re doing in a time of war is a maturity process that no one of any age understands unless they’ve been there and done it. And, I would encourage service to our country if one feels that’s what they want to do, and they feel that’s important. And most young men and women join the military at a young age, and we’re not going to be able to tell them anything different. They think they know everything and they are going to do what they want to do, and I think that’s OK. But, in making the decision, it should not be made on a light side. Your decision to serve cannot be 100% focused on patriotism, or 100% focused on what you think it might be and what it might not be.

The reality is that service to our country is a job, it’s a hard job. Many people make ultimate sacrifices to do it. Some of those sacrifices are obvious, like being killed in action. But there’s many other sacrifices. There’s many other married people over there that are separated from their families. Their children don’t have fathers or mothers for a long period of time. All of this type of stuff is the reality of service. It’s not easy. Its very difficult, but there many people out there who feel the need, or have the calling to do it, and we step up to do it.

Here's a guy who knows sacrifice, and mentions the sacrifice of others - particularly the families. THis guy exmplifies the spirit that I remember.

"I haven't been to a funeral since Shannon's. I can't make this funeral, but I'll be there for the procession afterwards.

Here's a guy who knows sacrifice, and mentions the sacrifice of others - particularly the families. THis guy exmplifies the spirit that I remember.

That is a spirit that used to be more prevalent at least where I grew up.

It is too bad that those who seek to be our leaders now seem to not instill that attitude in those they raise since it was never instilled in them[:/]

That does not bode well for a country that is going to be fighting for a very long time to maintain our place under the sun.

Jason Hubbard is an idiot. Serving your country and serving the interests of private and state power are dramatically different.

Whose interests are served by this statement? Those of the Hubbards? Those of the government?

Actually, nobody's interests are served by your statement.