ntrprnr

NAACP: Vick Should Return to the NFL

He should spend the max sentence in prison and be fined millions of dollars to be divided among the different humane societies across the country. That's the only way there can be any real justice in this.

so the punishment should be based on the wealth of the person committing it?

He's not just getting paid for sports, he's also gettting paid to represent the team and taking on the responsibility of being a public figure and a role model for kids.

He betrayed the public and those kids.......and to send the correct message should be made to help fix the problem. As sick as it is, jail or prison will just get him street credit..............now you take away large chunks of money and people start thinking I better not do that otherwise I'll be poor....it's not worth losing everything that I own because I want to run a dog fighting ring.
...and you're in violation of your face!

To make my point clear, you can't have a system of justice that punishes criminal behavior based on the wealth of the defendent. That would mean that the guy in the bentley needs to pay $5000 for running a red light while the guy in the pinto pays $5.

The jail time is the equalizer. For someone making millions, a year in jail costs millions. For someone making 20k, it costs them 20k.

and to say jail time will give Vick street cred is retarded. He was a starting QB in the NFL. You don't get much higher credit than that. Now he's probably a jobless felon, depending on how the judge handles this plea bargain. (Per ESPN last night, he's not going to admit to anything besides conspiracy. No betting, no dog killing)

To make my point clear, you can't have a system of justice that punishes criminal behavior based on the wealth of the defendent. That would mean that the guy in the bentley needs to pay $5000 for running a red light while the guy in the pinto pays $5.

The jail time is the equalizer. For someone making millions, a year in jail costs millions. For someone making 20k, it costs them 20k.

and to say jail time will give Vick street cred is retarded. He was a starting QB in the NFL. You don't get much higher credit than that. Now he's probably a jobless felon, depending on how the judge handles this plea bargain. (Per ESPN last night, he's not going to admit to anything besides conspiracy. No betting, no dog killing)

I understand where you're coming from.....but this isn't running a red light either. Maybe a large amount of community service at a humane society with his fines also going to the humane society. Or being the tackling dummy for police and military attack dogs with no option for padding or clothing for several months.

And despite what you may think.........while it's sad, the jail time will give him street credit.

Here's the most recent article:

Vick Files Plea Admitting to Dogfighting
Friday, August 24, 2007 1:34 PM EDT
The Associated Press
By LARRY O'DELL Associated Press Writer

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Michael Vick filed his plea agreement in federal court Friday admitting to conspiracy in a dogfighting ring and helping kill pit bulls. He denied ever betting on the fights, only bankrolling them.

The Atlanta Falcons quarterback is scheduled to formally enter his plea Monday in U.S. District Court.

"Most of the Bad Newz Kennels operation and gambling monies were provided by Vick," a summary of facts in the case said, echoing language in plea agreements by three co-defendants who previously pleaded guilty.

The statement said that when the kennel's dogs won, the gambling proceeds were generally shared by Vick's three co-defendants — Tony Taylor, Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips.

"Vick did not gamble by placing side bets on any of the fights. Vick did not receive any of the proceeds of the purses that were won by Bad Newz Kennels," the summary said.

According to the statement, Vick also was involved in killing six to eight dogs that did not perform well in test sessions last April. The dogs were executed by drowning or hanging.

"Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts" of Vick and two of the co-defendants, Phillips and Peace, the statement says.

In the plea agreement, the government committed to recommending a sentence on the low end of the federal sentencing guideline range of a year to 18 months. However, the conspiracy charge is punishable by up to five years in prison, and the judge is not bound by any recommendation or by the sentencing guidelines.

U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson, who will accept Vick's plea, has a reputation for imposing stiff sentences, according to lawyers who have appeared in his court. Vick will not be sentenced for several months.

Why not make fines a combination of a fixed rate and a percentage of a person's income or wealth.

Time - prison time - is a great equalizer, but when it comes to fines, they don't really impact the wealthy like they do the average person.

Why not make fines a combination of a fixed rate and a percentage of a person's income or wealth.

Time - prison time - is a great equalizer, but when it comes to fines, they don't really impact the wealthy like they do the average person.

Good point..........a $200 speeding ticket doesn't affect me like the guy that makes $200 every hour.

Of course you can.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3477285.stm

all those ppl in Alaska, making little Huskeys pulling sled should go to jail too..

think about it, if i was in dog's shoe, i'd rather fight in the ring and die vs pulling some fat fuck through the snow all day for rest of my life..

Using an animal for assistance as a means of living is one thing. Subjecting animals to violnt death for amusement is another.

it is just an animal,, we eat them for crying out loud,.

Yes and we have laws to ensure that animals are slaughtered in a humane manner.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Well of course he should, shouldn't he ? He is, after all, black. that should absolve him of anything. Just look at OJ Simpson, who else could get away with murdering an ex-wife and her boyfriend in cold blood. It's the 40 acres and a mule clause.

The idea that Vick, or any other black American, should be accused of ANYTHING is an offense to our collective sense of white guilt for something that ended 150 years ago. Something that we fought the bloodiest war in our history about. But since 40 acres and a mule is probably too expensive anymore, why not a forty year supply of Shlitz Bull malt liquor and Kools ?

Honest to fuckin' christ, would we even be HAVING this discussion for anyone else ? Certainly not for me....

Anybody want to call me a racist ?? Well fuck you all over again ! I've known and been friends with and tried night and day to broaden my understanding of the black experience in America. I've known and partied with Black Panthers and Black Muslims in college. And you know what ? I still believe that HUMAN BEINGS are "responsible" for their behavior. And if that gives anybody a problem, then they can go fuck themselves.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

But since 40 acres and a mule is probably too expensive anymore, why not a forty year supply of Shlitz Bull malt liquor and Kools ?

Most of them wouldn't or couldn't turn it into a profitable business. They'd sell it so that they could pimp out their ride and hang some bling around their necks. Oh yea, don't forget to buy some FUBUs that you have to walk around using one hand to hold your pants up with.

Ok maybe i'm misunderstanding the previous two posts a bit, so forgive me if i am...

I'm not sure what 40 year supply of malt liquor and pimpin' rides, wearing fubu and "bling" has to do with the decision of Vick in relation to NAACP supporting his going back to the NFL.

I for one don't think Vick should be allowed back. That's just my opinion though because I love dogs and think that what he did is just plain retarded.

Maybe I need some clarification, but contrary to popular belief, the majority of black people DON'T act like what Royd just described. And by you saying "MOST" doesn't negate the fact that its a stereotype of the entire image. Both posts WERE offensive, even if you didn't deem them as such.

Secondly, to tbrown, I understand where you are coming from? But how you can you honestly sit there and say that you have tried to understand the "black experience" by partying?? with Black panthers and Black Muslims???

That's like me "partying" with my Jewish fraternity brothers trying to understand the holocaust. That doesn't seem like a reputable statement to me. Maybe I'm understanding the phrasing of the sentence incorrectly, but how can you even come close to understanding the aforementioned "experience" by partying with your friends? and then trying to justify the statement by saying they were black muslims and black panthers.

Bullshit.

What does that even mean? I agree that humans are responsible for their own behavior and outcomes and that we as black people (some of us - a good bit too) have what I call the slave mentality.

That's why I get upset at my own family members and friends who believe that reparations should be paid to all black people. I firmly disagree and will not bring that up on this particular thread, so if you would like to discuss those views and why I feel that way, PM me.

Anyways, I'm trying to say that both previous comments are racist comments. I'm not saying you are, but the comments come across as such and incredibly ignorant, whether you like it or not. That's like me saying that all white people are hillbilly rednecks who live in trailer parks. You may not be racist but you're still stereotyping a subset of people by the image of a few that you happen to see. I don't wear my pants around my ass, I have a good education and great job, I dont wear unnecessary amounts of jewelry and I haven't "pimped my ride." I'm proud of my culture and heritage but don't put me into a label based on what you perceive around you.

So I feel that both comments were not valid to the purpose of the thread and if I'm mistaken, I apologize, but someone please explain it. The question was, in my own words, do you agree or disagree with the NAACP's decision about Vick?

Not about the stereotypical image of black america and how that affects the decision of people around you...
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

I don't think you're misinterpreting the previous posts. I think a serious discussion about preferential treatment based on race should be handled without all the hostility and certainly without the stereotyping, even here in SC.

I'm about as pasty white as I can get and I don't have a collective sense of guilt about anything but I have to say that posts like some of the ones we're starting to see really work against improving interracial relations. If we assume that the question about race is pertinent to dog fighting at all, I really think the manner of putting forth the argument is paramount. I'm not inclined to listen to someone's position when it's set out in those particular, angry terms. Let's just say that all it does for me is to strengthen the position of the other side. Differing opinions, even when they are offensive, are okay to have but they need to be set forth appropriately.
TPM Sister #102

Ok maybe i'm misunderstanding the previous two posts a bit, so forgive me if i am...

I'm not sure what 40 year supply of malt liquor and pimpin' rides, wearing fubu and "bling" has to do with the decision of Vick in relation to NAACP supporting his going back to the NFL.

I for one don't think Vick should be allowed back. That's just my opinion though because I love dogs and think that what he did is just plain retarded.

Maybe I need some clarification, but contrary to popular belief, the majority of black people DON'T act like what Royd just described. And by you saying "MOST" doesn't negate the fact that its a stereotype of the entire image. Both posts WERE offensive, even if you didn't deem them as such.

Those in the forefront of the NAACP are always playing the race card. After the Civil War every black was promised forty acres and a mule. It didn't happen. If it had I am sure that they would have known what to do with it. Well, because it didn't happen, we have the 'You owe us' mentality thrown in our faces constantly.

The majority of those who demand the reparations wouldn't shutup if they were paid. They wouldn't turn the opportunity to their advantage and actually turn it into a productive living. They'd squander it and start screaming that it just wasn't enough.
It's been close to 150 yr. since the Civil War and 50 yr. since the start of the civil rights movement, yet there are thousands, maybe millions who are still milking the victim role for all that they can get.
When you have parents and peers who project the attitude that being smart and excelling academically is just too white, why should we continue to make an effort, when they won't.

This attitude transfers to the street. Who the hell wants to hire someone who has their hair tied up in knots, which you know hasn't been washed in weeks, or months, walking around with a pair of pants 5 sizes too big, having to constantly use one hand to hold them up, their underwear showing, and strutting around with some sort of gangsta shuffle that dares you to challenge them about their stupidity.

Yea, it's a cultural thing.:S

Those in the forefront of the NAACP are always playing the race card. After the Civil War every black was promised forty acres and a mule. It didn't happen. If it had I am sure that they would have known what to do with it. Well, because it didn't happen, we have the 'You owe us' mentality thrown in our faces constantly.

The majority of those who demand the reparations wouldn't shutup if they were paid. They wouldn't turn the opportunity to their advantage and actually turn it into a productive living. They'd squander it and start screaming that it just wasn't enough.
It's been close to 150 yr. since the Civil War and 50 yr. since the start of the civil rights movement, yet there are thousands, maybe millions who are still milking the victim role for all that they can get.
When you have parents and peers who project the attitude that being smart and excelling academically is just too white, why should we continue to make an effort, when they won't.

This attitude transfers to the street. Who the hell wants to hire someone who has their hair tied up in knots, which you know hasn't been washed in weeks, or months, walking around with a pair of pants 5 sizes too big, having to constantly use one hand to hold them up, their underwear showing, and strutting around with some sort of gangsta shuffle that dares you to challenge them about their stupidity.

WOW. You have really, wildly mistakenly described a lot of black people I know--psipike02, for one. Stereotypes are dangerous. If your goal is just to be offensive, well played. If you really believe everything you wrote, you need to get out and meet more people. Someone, somewhere, will fit the profile you drew. For the many more who don't, I'm sorry to hear that this kind of attitude is out there.
TPM Sister #102

>Who the hell wants to hire someone who has their hair tied up in knots,
>which you know hasn't been washed in weeks, or months, walking around
>with a pair of pants 5 sizes too big, having to constantly use one hand to
>hold them up, their underwear showing, and strutting around with some
>sort of gangsta shuffle that dares you to challenge them about their
>stupidity.

Who the hell would want to hire some old fossil who will just sit there taking Geritol all day and bitching about their arthritis - that is, when they're not talking about the good old days and refusing to use these newfangled computers?

Who the hell would want to hire one of these Indian guys who smells funny, wears unusual jewelry and can't even be bothered to learn an american accent? Probably spend all day cooking smelly food in the break room.

Who the hell would want to hire a woman who is going to sit there painting her nails, talking on the phone and gossiping about other workers? That is, until they get pregnant, at which point they'll want maternity leave, free health care and 'flexibility' to raise their kids. Then when they return, they will want to breastfeed their kids in the lobby and whine if anyone tells them to do it in their office.

You can find a reason that anyone sucks. The smart employers hire people who do the job they were hired to do - no matter what their hair looks like, no matter how they walk or no matter how stupid they seem to some people.

WOW. You have really, wildly mistakenly described a lot of black people I know--psipike02, for one. Stereotypes are dangerous. If your goal is just to be offensive, well played. If you really believe everything you wrote, you need to get out and meet more people. Someone, somewhere, will fit the profile you drew. For the many more who don't, I'm sorry to hear that this kind of attitude is out there.

Would going to the mall be considered getting out. I don't have to look too far to see the kind of people I've described. I'd be harder pressed to find some wearing work pants with a belt, with their shirt tucked in, looking like they are about the business of actually doing some work.

It's not an attitude, it's a life observation. Here's another one. It seems that there are quite a few young white kids who are wanna be gangsta rappers. They look and act just as silly.

Who the hell would want to hire some old fossil who will just sit there taking Geritol all day and bitching about their arthritis - that is, when they're not talking about the good old days and refusing to use these newfangled computers?

Who the hell would want to hire one of these Indian guys who smells funny, wears unusual jewelry and can't even be bothered to learn an american accent? Probably spend all day cooking smelly food in the break room.

Who the hell would want to hire a woman who is going to sit there painting her nails, talking on the phone and gossiping about other workers? That is, until they get pregnant, at which point they'll want maternity leave, free health care and 'flexibility' to raise their kids. Then when they return, they will want to breastfeed their kids in the lobby and whine if anyone tells them to do it in their office.

Looks like you've observed a few things in life, too.

Would going to the mall be considered getting out. I don't have to look too far to see the kind of people I've described. I'd be harder pressed to find some wearing work pants with a belt, with their shirt tucked in, looking like they are about the business of actually doing some work.

It's not an attitude, it's a life observation. Here's another one. It seems that there are quite a few young white kids who are wanna be gangsta rappers. They look and act just as silly.

Try a different mall--or better yet, a college campus or an office complex. I went to law school with plenty of people who wouldn't fit your mold. Just because you can find bad examples doesn't mean there aren't plenty of excellent examples out there.
TPM Sister #102

>Looks like you've observed a few things in life, too.

Yes, I have. And it's tempting, once you see a 'few' things, to base the judgments you will make for the rest of your life off those things. It also results in a somewhat bigoted view of the world.

If I tried using just those first few references, I would today think that all skydivers were drunk assholes who would rather drink than skydive (and who would do both together if they could get away with it.) I'd think that US soldiers were brainless morons who, thankfully, found a job where thinking was not required. I'd think that all asians were really dumb and all blacks were really smart. And I'd be just as right as all the other Archie Bunkers in the world.

It takes better eyes than that to see the world for what it really is, though. I am glad I got over those prejudices, because I've met some pretty amazing people once I was able to do so.

First of all, thank you Jewels for that nice comment. :)

And I know this is SC, but WOW, I can honestly that I have never been more offended by someone's posts on dz.com in my entire time of being a member here. I'm going to try to keep my frustration and irritation from your post separate from my response, but I won't promise it.

From what you've said, I honestly pray to God that I never get to meet you. Here's why. You seem like you are incredibly ignorant about other cultures and only perceive what you see around you as the norm when it comes to other cultures. I almost feel bad for because you are missing out on some amazing people just because you choose to stereotype an entire race of people BY WHAT YOU SEE AT THE MALL. Are you kidding me?!?!

Notice how I said almost....

You're an example of the kind of people I meet all the time, who judge someone by how they're dressed and not their personality. I have friends and family who dressed just like you described (maybe not to that extreme) and they are lawyers and engineers, doctors, etc. Oh hard to believe right?? Because here in America, any "self-respecting" individual wouldn't dress that way with that kind of profession right? They would have some more respect for themselves. Who cares if that's who they are outside of work and that's how they're comfortable. Are they hurting anyone? No, but lets pass judgement on them because people like yourself have a problem with how they dress or look. Well guess what, what people do in their private lives outside of work and how they act is none of your business and nor is your job to judge them accordingly. You're not some person who's on such a level where you can pass judgement on others. No matter if they are black, white, or red or whatever. I also invite you to walk up to any person and please express your outrage for how they're dressed. Not just black people but white people too. If its such a cultural thing, why not write or go talk to these people and tell them how to dress. After all, we can't possibly have a mind of our own. How dare we choose to have independence in our appearance when our outside appearance should dictate our socio-economic and professional job status. I mean I wear FUBU, American Eagle, South Pole, Nautica, and Timberlands, and my ear pierced since 5th grade (that my mom took me to go get by the way) so I can't possibly be an engineer who is on the verge of discovering his own future.

I apologize to the mods if it seems like I'm attacking. I'm not trying to, but I'm trying to see what causes an individual to be so uniformed about other people.

Next, is it a shame that yes people say that "you owe us xxxx?" Yes it is.

Is it a shame that there are people/family/friends who don't want to better themselves and entrapt themselves in that slave mentality thinking the world owes them something?? Most definitely.

Should that bear any resemblance on how black america should be viewed or labeled? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

As I said earlier, not every black person you see is a product of what you see at the mall. 98% of the time when people ask me what I do for a living and I tell them that I just graduated from the University of Michigan, they say "Oh wow, thats a great school! Did you play football??" I say, "No, I wouldve liked to, but I have a greater goal in life. I'm an Aerospace Engineer/Rocket Scientist." THEN, they give me this bewildered look and some have even had the gall to ask me "No seriously, what do you really do??"
Why? Because most people expect that since I'm 6'5, BLACK, and have the build of a college linebacker expect me to be in pro football or basketball. Is that a bad thing? No....but at the same time, why can't I garner the same respect for having the intelligence to make and fix shit that flies above your head than I do to play pro sports for a living???

I'm sorry but I feel that you'd be that exact person who would ask me, "no seriously, what do you do?" with a sarcastic grin on your face. I hope right now you're thinking to yourself that you would never say that and am cursing me for even thinking that you would. If you are, GOOD.

Doesn't feel so nice to be stereotyped does it.....

So when you say some bullshit like

Yea, it's a cultural thing.

I say NO, it is not a cultural thing and you need to go back to school and take some classes on race and ethnicity and really learn about other cultures. Because what you see out on the streets in FLORIDA is not a representation of the rest of the black community in the US. I invite you to come to colorado and I'll show you some black people who are doing things and don't dress and act like that. It is not a "culture thing."

I don't feel like YOU or ANYONE ELSE owes me anything and its people like you, at least from what I've read, that make me want to reach my ultimate goal in life more and more each day....JUST TO PROVE TO YOU, THAT ITS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE A CULTURAL THING. I STRIVE every single day to set myself apart because the reality is this.....I have to work twice as hard as my counterparts to prove myself and what I do EVERYDAY, because there are people in this world with bigoted and prejudiced views of society, much like the ones you have.

I welcome any comments that anyone else has, but make sure you're informed before you make bigot statements about topics for which you know NOTHING about. But its ok, I really hope that you keep your narrow-minded view of the world's cultures because it seems like we have enough people such as yourself who are ignorant and uninformed and hold a close-minded view how things actually work, when in actuality that's how things work in their own world.

If this gets me kicked off, so be it, but that pissed me off.

As I said before, I know in SC everyone is welcome to their opinions and I agree with that wholeheartedly as I love discussions, but please know what you're talking about before you make comments ESPECIALLY about other races/cultures/people in general, etc.

If i'm in the wrong, please let me know. I welcome PM's.

----Hellfish #707----

Next, is it a shame that yes people say that "you owe us xxxx?" Yes it is.

Is it a shame that there are people/family/friends who don't want to better themselves and entrapt themselves in that slave mentality thinking the world owes them something?? Most definitely.

Should that bear any resemblance on how black america should be viewed or labeled? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Sorry to have offended you.

You have assumed that I've judged the whole race, whereas, I've just explained my observation of a group of people within that race .
Yes, how you dress is going to influence my impression of you. If someone walked up to me dressed as I described earlier, regardless of race, looking for work,I'd tell them to come back when they had a pair of pants that fit, with a belt, and clothing that wouldn't get caught in a drill bit or a saw blade.
And, how the hell can you actually do any work if you spend the whole day holding your pants up with one hand.
I have the same attitude toward smokers. They probably waste an hour a day going through the whole smoking ritual, but that's another rant.

There have been many days, after work, covered in sweat, dirt, and sawdust that I'd like to stop into a resturant and have a nice meal. Well, I know that I will be viewed with disdain from the staff and the patrons so I just come on home. Appearance does matter.

If I met you on the street, I would observe you for what and who you are. Someone who has his shit together and you would have my respect. I'm sure that you don't go to work dressed like some gangsta rapper.
Since this thread is about the NAACP, my point is that people with your attitude are not put into the spotlight as to how it can be. We don't see stories of people in N.O. who have grabbed the bull by the horns and gotten on with the business of living.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are the visible voices of the black community, and they do their best to promote the victim mentality. Sadly, unlike you, there are many who refuse to prove them wrong.

It's really no different than Muslims saying that the radicals don't speak for them, yet they refuse to step to the front and show the world how it should be done.

You have assumed that I've judged the whole race, whereas, I've just explained my observation of a group of people within that race .

I understand what you're saying and thank you for apologizing, but my sense of the statement above and this one again,

Yea, it's a cultural thing.

They seem to contradict to me. Maybe its how it is inferred or how I am just reading it, but they don't seem to match.

I understood the underlying point that you were trying to make and I received that. I have my own qualms about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, but that's for a later time.

What I'm saying is that from the statements that you made since yesterday, it seems like you are INDEED judging the entire race. I know you said you're not, but please go back and re-read your comments. Surely, I'm not the only person who feels that way as people after me basically said the same thing. Please also go and re-read what Bill said to you.

You're welcome to whatever opinions you have of whoever and I'm not gonna tell you what to think. However, in this type of argument be careful how things are phrased. Because your last post to me just now and what you said earlier don't match.

Now stepping completely away from this thread topic for a second....this is just coming from me to you. (I would PM you, but you don't accept them.) Please mind how things are said, not just in here, but in general. I'm not saying walk on eggshells and crap around people, but what you conceive as a harmless opinion or quote, may not come across as such. I know there's not a lot of US in the skydiving world, but we're still here and statements like the first one you made with FUBU and what not, was offensive.

More or less on here, it's only an internet forum, but at the same time, i've never met you but if by some chance we meet at a boogie or some other event....my first thought upon meeting you will venture back to this conversation and that's never how I want to start off meeting anyone. That is with a negative viewpoint towards that person. I always try to find the good in people, but it may very well still be in the back of mind.

Just my .02...i'm done ranting...back to the bonfire.

Maybe...;)

----Hellfish #707----