JohnRich

More Guns = More Crime?

News:
Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy Confirms that Reducing Gun Ownership by Law-Abiding Citizens Does Nothing to Reduce Violence Worldwide

According to the study, worldwide gun ownership rates do not correlate with higher murder or suicide rates. In fact, many nations with high gun ownership have significantly lower murder and suicide rates.

Dr. Kates and Dr. Mauser demonstrate that other developed nations such as Norway, Finland, Germany, France and Denmark maintain high rates of gun ownership, yet possess murder rates lower than other developed nations in which gun ownership is much more restricted.

Dr. Kates and Dr. Mauser proceed to dispel the mainstream misconception that lower rates of violence in Europe are somehow attributable to gun control laws. Instead, they reveal, "murder in Europe was at an all-time low before the gun controls were introduced." As the authors note, "strict controls did not stem the general trend of ever-growing violent crime throughout the post-WWII industrialized world."

The reason that gun ownership doesn't correlate with murder rates, the authors show, is that violent crime rates are determined instead by underlying cultural factors. "Ordinary people," they note, "simply do not murder." Rather, "the murderers are a small minority of extreme antisocial aberrants who manage to obtain guns whatever the level of gun ownership" in their society.

Therefore, "banning guns cannot alleviate the socio-cultural and economic factors that are the real determinants of violence and crime rates."
Source: CFIF.org

They consider suicide to be a crime? Is that typically done in crime statistics? Suicide shouldn't count.

Pretty good finding.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

They consider suicide to be a crime? Is that typically done in crime statistics? Suicide shouldn't count.

Pretty good finding though.

He's playing fast and loose with his words.

In his poll he asks about crime. Gun crimes, of course, are only a subset of crime.

John likes to try to fool people this way.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think he mentioned suicide for the sake of the argument that a gun ban will reduce suicide. But just like gun bans don't reduce crime, gun bans also don't reduce suicide.

My oh my, a moderator who hurls personal insults. Ain't that quaint!

Holy mackerel that's some thin skin there bud. That is hardly a personal insult - just a comment on his perception of your method of argument.

I am not for gun control (I would love to have a machine gun but can't afford a pre-1986 full auto) but by the logic of that article the USA should be the safest country on Earth.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

In his poll he asks about crime. Gun crimes, of course, are only a subset of crime.

POLL

More guns = more crime.
More guns = less crime.
There is no correlation between guns & crime.

DESCRIPTION OF CRIME FROM STUDY

"Therefore, "banning guns cannot alleviate the socio-cultural and economic factors that are the real determinants of violence and crime rates."

Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy Confirms that Reducing Gun Ownership by Law-Abiding Citizens Does Nothing to Reduce Violence Worldwide

According to the study, worldwide gun ownership rates do not correlate with higher murder or suicide rates. In fact, many nations with high gun ownership have significantly lower murder and suicide rates.

Dr. Kates and Dr. Mauser demonstrate that other developed nations such as Norway, Finland, Germany, France and Denmark maintain high rates of gun ownership, yet possess murder rates lower than other developed nations in which gun ownership is much more restricted.

Dr. Kates and Dr. Mauser proceed to dispel the mainstream misconception that lower rates of violence in Europe are somehow attributable to gun control laws. Instead, they reveal, "murder in Europe was at an all-time low before the gun controls were introduced." As the authors note, "strict controls did not stem the general trend of ever-growing violent crime throughout the post-WWII industrialized world."

The reason that gun ownership doesn't correlate with murder rates, the authors show, is that violent crime rates are determined instead by underlying cultural factors. "Ordinary people," they note, "simply do not murder." Rather, "the murderers are a small minority of extreme antisocial aberrants who manage to obtain guns whatever the level of gun ownership" in their society.

Therefore, "banning guns cannot alleviate the socio-cultural and economic factors that are the real determinants of violence and crime rates."

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

You'll notice that in the article quoted there is a rather lengthy discussion about what is being talked about that precedes the statement. However, even the article is a rehashed and rather misleading interpretation of the actual study in question.

John takes it one step further with the wording of his poll.

So, now let's take a look at where all this "information" John has provided came from shall we?

Center for Individual Freedom is a 501(c) paid for by whoever has the most cash today for whatever purpose they what to push. It is part of Townhall.com.

So, let's pay less attention to their opinion and more to the actual paper in question, which can be downloaded in its entirety here.

Quoting from this paper,

Moreover, if the deterrent effect of gun ownership accounts for
low violence rates in high gun ownership nations other than the
United States, one wonders why that deterrent effect would be
amplified there. Even with the drop in United States murder rates
that Lott and Mustard attribute to the massive increase in gun
carry licensing, the United States murder rate is still eight times
higher than Norway’s—even though the U.S. has an almost 300%
higher rate of gun ownership.

I guess the good folks over at the Center for Individual Freedom didn't read that part.

At any rate, I believe the entire paper is flawed as it tries to correlate data from completely different cultures with our own which they pretty much say in their own conclusion!

CONCLUSION

This Article has reviewed a significant amount of evidence
from a wide variety of international sources. Each individual
portion of evidence is subject to cavil—at the very least the
general obj ection that the persuasiveness of social scientific
evidence cannot remotely approach the persuasiveness of
conclusions in the physical sciences.

Hilarious.
quade -

John, are you going to defend youself?

-NickDG

It does for gun control proponents. When they say things like X people are killed every day by guns, or you're 43 times more likely to die having a gun in the house rather than kill a burglar, they're counting the suicides. Otherwise that 44 becomes a 1.

I suppose it is fair to question the deterrent value based on the numbers. But to me, that argument was not very important. It may have deterrent value, but so long as it doesn't have obvious negatives, it should be allowed. CCW permit holders are one of the most law abiding subsets of our population. There's no doubt that violent crime rates in the US have declined substantially, but there are many credible and incredible explanations hoping to claim most of the credit.

There's really no defense for a claim like 'you like lying to the people, don't you?' All you can do is walk away.

But I agree with him that such a statement is inappropriate coming from a moderator.

There's really no defense for a claim like 'you like lying to the people, don't you?' All you can do is walk away.

Did I call him a liar? No.

Did I say he likes to fool people? Yes. Much like a magician misdirects his audience in order to fool them, John attempts to misdirect people with his choice of words in order to persuade them toward his agenda.

If he considers this an insult, so be it.

WGASA.
quade -

But I agree with him that such a statement is inappropriate coming from a moderator.

He never said it was inappropriate. He just laughed it off.

-NickDG

Did I say he likes to fool people? Yes. Much like a magician misdirects his audience in order to fool them, John attempts to misdirect people with his choice of words in order to persuade them toward his agenda.

If he considers this an insult, so be it.

WGASA.

Yes, it is an insult. You have stated that you know that he is trying to fool people when if fact you have no idea of the information he has or the thought processes he uses. You ASSUMED you know he is fooling people. Why? Cause you know best?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

It is inappropriate coming from anybody[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

Understand, I care even less about your opinion in this matter.

JR and I have a LONG history on this web site. I think I know his motives pretty well by now. It's not exactly like they're some kind of secret.

The "REAL" insult would be to do what you've done and imply that he's not smart enough to choose his words intentionally. On the contrary, I believe he chooses his words very carefully.
quade -

You can look at studies untill you are blue in the face. It doesn't change the fact that in the "Gun free" zone of Virgina Tech a lot of people died and in the Trolley Square mall in Utah the shooter was stoped short by a gun packin' good guy.

Criminals will always beable to get access to guns and I will always want to be able to defend my self now rather than wait hours for a cop to show up. I don't think any study will be able to change my mind,

I don't need a study to know that wolves eat sheep, not other wolves.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Quade NEVER called him a liar.

-NickDG

You dressed it up fancy, but yep, that's what you did.

And while it could be that I've had a headache all day, I couldn't see any deception in this particular JohnRich posting, other than what I presume to be a facetious topic heading.

Quade NEVER called him a liar.

Ya[:/] and he took a shot at me in the mean time[:/]

.....and just because we don't agree on most things.

Dam it, I forgot, that makes me stupid some how:|
Abraham Lincoln

-----------------

THE POLL
-----------------
The question after reading the summary was:

More Guns = More Crime?

More guns = more crime?

More guns = less crime?

There is no correlation between guns & crime. XXX
----------

Quade, can you show me where wordplay or an attempt to fool people has been used up to this point?

What is the significance of the fact that the poll asked about crime and your statement that Gun crimes are a subset of crimes?

What did you mean by "John likes to fool people this way"

-NickDG

If you can't see that the word "crime" encompasses a vast set of activities that have nothing to do whatsoever with guns, then I can't help you.
If you can't see that "suicide" and "crime" don't belong in the same category, then I can't help you.
If you can't see that crime behaviors in the US are wildly different than in the rest of the world, again, I can't help you.
quade -

If you can't see that the word "crime" encompasses a vast set of activities that have nothing to do whatsoever with guns, then I can't help you.
If you can't see that "suicide" and "crime" don't belong in the same category, then I can't help you.
If you can't see that crime behaviors in the US are wildly different than in the rest of the world, again, I can't help you.

But yet you try to imply that if we had gun control like the rest of the world we'd have less crime - rather hypocritical of you.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706