Gravitymaster

Jewish Person for U.S. President

I can see you're still annoyed about the preconceptions that I strained last week. Gray's a bitch. Black and white is so much easier.

In the grey world, Iraq has to answer for its involvement in the war against Israel.

errrrr...I think you have your countries transversed

Funny, I don't.

It could be very interesting diplomacy.

A Jewish person having to represent the US? It's been done before, Maddy Albright is Jewish and ostensibly a woman. I wonder what the Arabs had to say about that one behind closed doors.

I can see you're still annoyed about the preconceptions that I strained last week. Gray's a bitch. Black and white is so much easier.

In the grey world, Iraq has to answer for its involvement in the war against Israel.

errrrr...I think you have your countries transversed

Perhaps SH's direct sponsorship (payments) to the families of terrorists is the point.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

And if you're ok with the Iraq war and for the Middle East nation building project for that reason then you've got a lot of company. Wolfowitz, Pearle, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Feith, Bush, etc.
But to answer your next question, no. I don't have a problem with the US coming to the aid of an ally who is under attack. However if that ally is failing to do what we require of them and is helping to provoke the fight, then I'm inclined to withdraw my support until they cut it out. Then, when they complied with our agreements I would have absolutely no problem using excessive military force to insure that they stayed secure.

Maddy Albright is ...ostensibly a woman.

os·ten·si·ble Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[o-sten-suh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. outwardly appearing as such; professed; pretended: an ostensible cheerfulness concealing sadness.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Perhaps SH's direct sponsorship (payments) to the families of terrorists is the point.

Curious, what's the difference between SH financing Palestinian terrorists and the US financing Israeli terrorists?

Oh when you kill brown people it is not considered terrorism, or if you use high tech weaponry. Because you know a laser guided bomb that lands on a house full of kids makes them less dead so that’s ok too. Oh yea it makes the parents feel better about it as well. I mean they can say wow look my kids got murdered by a cool bomb oh look it says made in the USA.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Curious, what's the difference between SH financing Palestinian terrorists and the US financing Israeli terrorists?

err, the fact that one is and one isn't?

That depends on your perspective. From a third party perspective, there's not a lot of difference.
See the attached pictures. The only difference is that when Palestinians do it those guys in the green outfits shoot, beat or arrest them.

And if you're ok with the Iraq war and for the Middle East nation building project for that reason then

I was part of the small minority that was content to invade, get Saddam, and get the fuck out. The leadership was the problem. Future leadership could be bad, but we knew this one was. I never believed the US was responsible for making a democratic nation state out of Iraq.

The Jewish activist groups don't have a history of forcing behavior on the rest of America.

Herb of preference: mushrooms or weed? :S

cough up some examples.

They aren't supporting gay marriage bans, or drug bans, or any of the other shit we see with the Christian Right these days. And sorry, forcing an end to discrimination doesn't account.

Given the situation in the Middle East and the fact that diplomacy will be a critical factor in resolving those issues, do you think a Jewish person would be the best choice for the next U.S. President?

I haven't taken the time to read this thread, so excuse me if I'm being redundant.

I couldn't care less if the president were of Jewish descent. BUT I, personally, would not want a person in that position to be a newbie. :) I'd want his/her family to have a few generations behind 'em as Americans. In my mind, ya' just gotta have that if you're gonna represent us well.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

That depends on your perspective. From a third party perspective, there's not a lot of difference.
See the attached pictures. The only difference is that when Palestinians do it those guys in the green outfits shoot, beat or arrest them

and as always, you pick and chose the facts that serve you and ignore the rest of the reality.

- the examples you've given are not terrorism. burning cars, throwins stones and clashing with the police is something that happens all over the world. very different than going on a bus full of people and blowing it up, dont you think?

- before you start googling for more "facts", yes, there have been cases where Israeli have killed Palestinians and there was even a small group that planned to plant a bomb in a school. luckily they were caught and were put behind bars.

-the BIGGEST different is that SH funded the terrorists' families directly. the US aid for Israel goes to the state of israel, that have nothing to do with the extreme individuals you have described.

btw, since you like quotes so much and always complaining about the aid Israel is getting, take a look at that:

The Oslo process marked the first great experiment in the Israeli-Palestinian context with large-scale aid, making Palestinians the largest per capita recipients of international development assistance in the world.

http://www.usip.org/pubs/usipeace_briefings/2006/0810_aid_palestine.html
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

You presume that making nice is sure to provide better diplomatic results. I say bullshit. Having a Jew as president would scare the shit out of the Arab world, and that might help a great deal.

Why?
Are Jews more violent towards Arabs then non-Jewish people? Or do you think that he will be bias and side with Israel just because he is Jewish?

And what is the problem with that? You seem to have no problem with ahmadinejad threats to Israel, as long as the bias is muslims binding together right?

I think you got it all wrong, arabs are more violent against arabs, read on the hate of the shia-sunni debacle, and the many instances they have killed each other. Read history of Hama, in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, and how palestinian refugees have been treated by their arab brothers!. There is light out there to be seen.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

and as always, you pick and chose the facts that serve you and ignore the rest of the reality.

I don't ignore it. It gets plenty of attention so I try to point out the part that doesn't.

- the examples you've given are not terrorism. burning cars, throwins stones and clashing with the police is something that happens all over the world. very different than going on a bus full of people and blowing it up, dont you think?

They weren't clashing with the police. That was one of the points I was trying to make. But the only difference between a bus blowing up civilians and bombing civilians with a fighter jet is that in one case, the war criminal is not around to repeat their crime.

- before you start googling for more "facts", yes, there have been cases where Israeli have killed Palestinians and there was even a small group that planned to plant a bomb in a school. luckily they were caught and were put behind bars.

-the BIGGEST different is that SH funded the terrorists' families directly. the US aid for Israel goes to the state of israel, that have nothing to do with the extreme individuals you have described.

Nothing to do with them? Who pays for the settlement building and the settlers who live there?

btw, since you like quotes so much and always complaining about the aid Israel is getting, take a look at that:

The Oslo process marked the first great experiment in the Israeli-Palestinian context with large-scale aid, making Palestinians the largest per capita recipients of international development assistance in the world.

http://www.usip.org/pubs/usipeace_briefings/2006/0810_aid_palestine.html

That's a pretty good article.

Given the situation in the Middle East and the fact that diplomacy will be a critical factor in resolving those issues, do you think a Jewish person would be the best choice for the next U.S. President?

I think that it would be an equally big problem for alot of people within America.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I think that it would be an equally big problem for alot of people within America.

I really don't think there's as much anti-semitism as you seem to suggest. Certainly not so much that it would affect an election. I don't recall hearing any disparaging remarks about Joe Lieberman being jewish when he ran for V.P. with Gore in 2000. There's always the wacko fringe of hate mongers within any society that would attack someone because of their religious beliefs, but I think it's less in the U.S. than many other countries and societies.

The Jewish activist groups don't have a history of forcing behavior on the rest of America.

Herb of preference: mushrooms or weed? :S

cough up some examples.

They aren't supporting gay marriage bans, or drug bans, or any of the other shit we see with the Christian Right these days. And sorry, forcing an end to discrimination doesn't account.

Good Lord . . . you're just improvising here. :S
To wit:

In N.Y., Sparks Fly Over Israel Criticism
Polish Consulate Says Jewish Groups Called To Oppose Historian

By Michael Powell, Washington Post Staff Writer, Monday, October 9, 2006; Page A03
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/08/AR2006100800817.html

"There is an often organized and often spontaneous attempt to marginalize anyone in the Jewish world who offers a critique of Israeli policy," said Rabbi Michael Lerner, editor of the liberal magazine Tikkun. "It's equated with anti-Semitism and Israel denial."

Former President Jimmy Carter (Los Angeles Times
December 8, 2006):

“For the last 30 years, I have witnessed and experienced the severe restraints on any free and balanced discussion of the facts. This reluctance to criticize any policies of the Israeli government is because of the extraordinary lobbying efforts of the American-Israel Political Action Committee and the absence of any significant contrary voices.

“It would be almost politically suicidal for members of Congress to espouse a balanced position between Israel and Palestine, to suggest that Israel comply with international law or to speak in defense of justice or human rights for Palestinians.”

James Abourezk (Former US Senator from South Dakota, December 3, 2006)

“I can tell you from personal experience that, at least in the Congress, the support Israel has in that body is based completely on political fear—fear of defeat by anyone who does not do what Israel wants done.”

“I've heard too many cloakroom conversations in which members of the Senate will voice their bitter feelings about how they're pushed around by the Lobby to think otherwise. In private one hears the dislike of Israel and the tactics of the Lobby, but not one of them is willing to risk the Lobby's animosity by making their feelings public.”

“Secondly, the Lobby is quite clear in its efforts to suppress any congressional dissent from the policy of complete support for Israel which might hurt annual appropriations. Even one voice is attacked, as I was, on grounds that if Congress is completely silent on the issue, the press will have no one to quote, which effectively silences the press as well. Any journalists or editors who step out of line are quickly brought under control by well organized economic pressure against the newspaper caught sinning.”

Lobbying for Israel — The American Israel Public Affairs Committee
By David K. Shipler, New York Times (two articles)

WASHINGTON, July 5 (1987) – “After several decades of growth in size and sophistication, the leading pro-Israel lobby in Washington, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, has become a major force in shaping United States policy in the Middle East.”

WASHINGTON, July 6 (1987) – “To some, like Representative Henry J. Hyde, Republican of Illinois, the incident demonstrated that the lobbyists from Aipac were, in his words, ‘extremely effective’ on Capitol Hill.

“According to members of Congress, Aipac is one of the most successful lobbies on Capitol Hill . . .”

Oscars Under Pressure From Jewish Groups Over Film’s Origin
http://www.eightballmagazine.com/diatribes/volume02/039/792.html

“The Israeli government along with some U.S. Jewish groups are actually pressuring Oscar organizers from saying that a film [“Paradise Now”] being nominated for a best foreign film Oscar this year is from Palestine.”

Unafraid to tackle other issues, Jewish groups avoid Iraq war
http://floridajewishnews.com/News/National/Unafraid_to_tackle_other_issues,_Jewish_groups_avoid_Iraq_war_20070323999/

“This year, the Jewish Council for Public Affairs, the consensus-driven public relations arm of the Jewish community, took on handgun violence and efforts to stymie gay marriage ;). It also came out against some tax cuts, a third rail in the donor-driven non-profit world.”

Then, we have the case of the successful campaign by Jewish groups to get the play, “My Name is Rachel Corrie”, banned from the New York theater. The play tells the story of Rachel Corrie, the American peace-activist killed by an Israeli bulldozer in Gaza.

efforts to stymie gay marriage :D:D:D:D:D

Shall I go on? B|