FlyinDawg

Start over: Why does a person buy a gun for?

I'm not going to bother reading this thread; I just want to know if the unnecessary preposition in the subject line bothers anyone else as much as it bothers me. Seriously, every time I look at Speakers Corner, I think I die a little because of it.

It does kinda' grate on a person...

Chuck

I do not go for fast.. I go for exacting standards... those reach out to 1000 yards kinda loads.. you do not need a lot when its very very accurate.. NM Brass..all bullets to within less than 1/10 of a grain..Powder the same

I like the control with my old school green machine.

Whatever happened to spray and pray[:/]

Damn another person who can reach out and touch someone with one shotB|.

The only way thats going to happen for us is with a bayonet.[:/]

I do not go for fast.. I go for exacting standards... those reach out to 1000 yards kinda loads.. you do not need a lot when its very very accurate.. NM Brass..all bullets to within less than 1/10 of a grain..Powder the same

I tend to think the same way. When I had my Sharps 45/70 I was loading with real black powder pushing a 525 gr bullet. After much testing a load was derived that gave me app. 975 fps at the muzzle. Not very fast, but with high quality vernier sights it was normal to run a string of 10-15 consecutive hits on a 12"x12" steel plate at 500 yds.
Standard deviation in velocity for that particular load was less than 10fps.

Long term security. Never know what the future might hold and if it all goes to pot, I can use them for multiple purposes to get food (as opposed to... say... a diamond tennis bracelet, where if chaos reigned... what the hell would you do with that?!)

Have you checked into some RCBS reloading equipment so you can.......roll your own;)

I am getting a Dillon 650xl with three conversion kits soon.

Then I can shoot until my trigger finger gets blistersB|

Whatever happened to spray and pray[:/]

Damn another person who can reach out and touch someone with one shotB|.

The only way thats going to happen for us is with a bayonet.[:/]

All silliness aside . . . what is the tactical scenario that would cause one to work on the "reach out and touch someone" skills? I DO respect the skill, I just wonder how practical it is "real world". [Sniper gigs being the exception then I guess it would be good if WE became the insurgents somewhere down the road.]

Personally, I just want to defend myself and family against Bad Guys. That would be a 20" 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck and a .45 semi-auto loaded with 230 grain HP--perhaps complimented with a lever-action 30/30 for the occasional
That's why I buy a guns for. ;)

Personally, I just want to defend myself and family against Bad Guys. That would be a 20" 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck and a .45 semi-auto loaded with 230 grain HP

That is handled by a pistol grip 12 gauge 20" barrel pump with alternating 000 buck shot and slug. Oh and then there is my purse gun .44 Ruger Redhawk Stainless with Speer 240 gr hollow points... I live out in the boonies and take my own personal safety seriously.

Personally, I just want to defend myself and family against Bad Guys. That would be a 20" 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck and a .45 semi-auto loaded with 230 grain HP

That is handled by a pistol grip 12 gauge 20" barrel pump with alternating 000 buck shot and slug. Oh and then there is my purse gun .44 Ruger Redhawk Stainless with Speer 240 gr hollow points... I live out in the boonies and take my own personal safety seriously.

Whoa . . . I like your outfit, Ma'am [tips hat]. Boonies here, myself.

If I could get the little woman to pack what you're using, I think we'd be able to hold off the BGs `til the cows come home!! :D

BTW, if you can handle that 12 gauge with pistol grips . . . do you need an agent for any upcoming arm wrestling tournies?? ;)

>>Oh and then there is my purse gun .44 Ruger Redhawk Stainless with Speer 240 gr hollow points.

That's not a purse...that's a friggin OVERNIGHT BAG!!! B|

This past weekend... :$:$ I got a diaper bag made by Eagle with the sie pouch for the holster. Not that I need a diaper bag much less one with a pouch for a holster. But... it was Eagle! And digital camouflage! Now, I just have to figure out if I'm going to keep it (just in case) or give it to my sister.

"A"

You don't need none of that hardware for PP.

Just break their neck and rip their head off, the rest of them will split after puking their guts outB|

OTOH Hitting a piece of paper at 1000yds is a challenge, takes skill.B|

[
All silliness aside . . . what is the tactical scenario that would cause one to work on the "reach out and touch someone" skills? I DO respect the skill, I just wonder how practical it is "real world". [Sniper gigs being the exception then I guess it would be good if WE became the insurgents somewhere down the road.]

;)

Long range shooting is a great challenge. It takes a super accurate rifle, precision reloading, and a lot of practice. Probably the hardest part of all is figuring out the range. Being off as little as 30 yards can make a big difference. And then there is the wind factor.

To tell you the truth, I've never done much shooting beyond 500 yards. But even that is a challenge. Most of my shooting is in preparation for hunting season. I seldom take a shot beyond three hundred yards at big game, but the long range practice, at the range, can make shorter shots easy.

On one occaision a wounded antelope, wounded by another hunter was getting away. He stopped at what I estimated to be a hair over 500 yards. I took one shot, and he dropped, hit through both lungs.

I'm not a fan of long range shooting for hunting, because of the chance of wounding something, but it's good to know you can probably make that long shot, if you need to.

Although I've never done any 1,000 yard shooting, I think I'd like it.....Steve1

There's several reasons I own the guns I have. Let's see now....To hunt with. For defense against bears, or other critters that might want to eat me in the back country. Home defense. For an uncertain future, that may be sooner than you think. For dispatching any varmit that might want to eat my pets. For dispatching a horse or mule that is badly injured in the back country. (I'd hate to try doing that with a knife or big rock.) For dispatching a steer when it's time to butcher. Shooting skunks and cats that get in the chicken house. For target practicing. Or just for the enjoyment of collecting some quality fire-arms. Give me a minute and I'll come up with some more reasons.[:/]....Steve1

This past weekend... :$:$ I got a diaper bag made by Eagle with the sie pouch for the holster. Not that I need a diaper bag much less one with a pouch for a holster. But... it was Eagle! And digital camouflage! Now, I just have to figure out if I'm going to keep it (just in case) or give it to my sister.

Now THAT'S COOL! Do they also make a, diaper changing table that doubles as a combo 3-D / paper target?
You're as wonderful as a slinkie!! NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Too many arrogant over opinionated republicans in the country.

Don't be so judgmental! I usually vote democrat, But that doesn't mean I don't believe in the right to gun ownership....Steve1