FlyinDawg

Start over: Why does a person buy a gun for?

WOW you vote Democratic????

Havent you heard..that is unpatriotic.. and they only want to take your guns away:S:S:S:S

Its true.. I heard it on Lush Rimjob

Wow you all vote

I've given up on the voteing crap. My boss the wife tells me who to vote for, and she doesn't belong to the god squad. So she gets to vote twice and I get fucked once.

Votes for sale for sex!!!!!!

I usually vote democrat, But that doesn't mean I don't believe in the right to gun ownership....Steve1

shhhhh - Don't let them find out

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I was back at the gun range on Sunday for a 600-yard prone-position match.

I decided to use the same rifle I shot in message #15 at 300 yards. It's a 1905 Swedish Mauser, with iron sights (notch & blade), 6.5 mm. See Photo 1 for the receiver markings on the rifle.

This rifle has been very accurate for me at 100 and 300 yards. One of the interesting things about it, is a silver plate on the stock, with the name of a previous owner, which reads "Hj Jansson Bred" (See Photo 2). To receive such a special treatment, I think it must have been a very prized possession. And now it's my turn to be its caretaker.

I haven't shot this rifle at 600-yards before, so I had no idea how it was going to perform, or what my starting elevation should be. It was going to be interesting.

One concern was the capability of the 6.5 mm cartridge at that long range.

But my biggest concern was elevation. I replaced the original front sight blade a long time ago with a taller version. That's because the original military front sight has a zero at 500 meters, or something like that, which makes it impossible to shoot at a standard 100-yard range - you have to aim about two feet low. So, with that modification, I was already setting the elevation at "5" to shoot at 300 yards. And the elevation ramp only goes to "6". (See Photo 3) I had previously determined that the change in point of impact between "5" and "6" at 300-yards was about 18-inches. But to go from 300 to 600 yards usually requires a come-up of about 42 inches. Thus, I had doubts whether I would be able to get a proper sight picture to get me on target. But I thought I'd give it a try, and packed a backup gun just in case, so I could switch if necessary.

As it turned out, I took my very first shot, and the target went down indicating that the target-puller saw the shot, and I was on-paper! I fired 5 sighter shots to get my sight picture figured out, and then started shooting for score.

The rifle and ammo performed beautifully and produced excellent scores. The scorecard for one stage of fire is shown in Image 4. This is an outstanding result for a 100-year old rifle, with military surplus ammo from 1978, and crude iron sights. I was very pleased.

As you can see from my scorecard drawing, my sight picture was very weird. I had to hold high and right, and just aim at white space in the top right corner of the target. That's not good for consistency.

Oh, and did I mention there is no windage adjustment either? Nope. None.

I got all 20 shots here inside 24". 16 of 20 inside 18". 13 of 20 inside 12". 7 of 20 inside 6". Woohoo!

Notes:

1) On the scorecard, the little dots next to the number are my way of keeping track of the "clock position" of the shot within a concentric scoring ring. For example, the first two sighter shots were a 5 at the 5:00 position, and a 6 at the 6:00 position.

2) An "X' is a tiny circle inside the 10-ring, only 6" in diameter. It still counts as 10 points, just like the 10-ring. However, the X-count is used to break a scoring tie with other shooters. For example, if two shooters both have a score of 189, the one with the most X's wins.

Where do I go next with this rifle? I think I'm going to go back to the original military front sight blade, and forget about shooting this one at 100 yards. I'll then re-zero it for 300 and 600 yards. And then maybe, just maybe, I'll dare to try it at the big one: 1,000 yards...