SuperKat

Who likes Bill O'Riley?

I have no idea, I've never met him.

However, his public face that he uses in his job is interesting and he makes a good living out of it.

Same goes for Jerry Seinfeld, Kelsey Grammer, Wink Martindale, Ricardo Montebaum, William Shatner, Helen Hunt, and various other people in the entertainment industry.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I would like to see Bill and Ann Coulter hook up.... they could do a very effective job of screaming at each other with vicious right wing rants. Match made in BUsh Administration Heaven.

nuts - match O'Reilly and Rosie O
match Coulter and Franken

that way we get some peace while they instantaneously anhilate each other - but the end result is ton$ of adverti$ing dollar$

(annileate, anhiliation, enileiate, annilation, :S)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I can't give him the leeway that rehmwa does. I can't say for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not as much of a prick in person as he is on television. His brand of "entertainment" serves no one but himself, FOX, and the viewers who think that anger, hate, disrespect and misinformation hold a valid place in the national discourse. He fits in my file of "ignorance peddlers" but he doesn't hold the top slot. However, he is a master of a number of fallacious argument techniques. I guess everyone needs a talent.

Yeah but he's pretty quick on lashing back except when he was on letterman. It seemed like he was containing himself. I don't know why but he just was.

He wasn't in a position of power where he can use his staff to meld things to fit his point of view....no graphics, camera angles, raising his volume above everyone else, etc. Also, if he made a fool of himself there....if Letterman destroyed his credibility he could never live it down.

I can't give him the leeway that rehmwa does. I can't say for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not as much of a prick in person as he is on television.

maybe you are right, but he's just one of a ton of left and right political speakers that, strangely, have about the exact same style as every other one that gets good ratings and makes a ton of cash as a result. This is big business, and worth a ton of bucks. I don't think any action or statement isn't an on the spot calculation designed to increase publicity.

You think he's sincere, but a jackass.

I think he's insincere, and calculating - like all the others are too.

whether on not he's a jackass in real life is really inconsequential

He wasn't in a position of power where he can use his staff to meld things to fit his point of view....no graphics, camera angles, raising his volume above everyone else, etc. Also, if he made a fool of himself there....if Letterman destroyed his credibility he could never live it down.

That is so true my friend. The crowd was applauding to everything single thing that came out of Letterman's mouth. It was so his playing field!

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

Yeah but he's pretty quick on lashing back except when he was on letterman. It seemed like he was containing himself. I don't know why but he just was.

Because he wasn't in control of the situation on Letterman.

In his studio, he can cut off mics, hang up on callers and totally dominate the entire argument because of his bullying tactics. He simply can't do that on another person's show, which is precisely why he makes so few appearances outside his own program.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

?? He's a performer. Hating him is like hating Arnold S for killing all those people in Terminator 1. He, like many others, spout opinions that make him money, not that represent a well thought out viewpoint.

For all I know, he might be a nice guy. If he's anything like his on-screen persona, then he doesn't seem like a guy you'd want to have dinner with ("hey! waiter! cut off his wine!") but who knows?

In his studio, he can cut off mics, hang up on callers and totally dominate the entire argument because of his bullying tactics. He simply can't do that on another person's show, which is precisely why he makes so few appearances outside his own program.

False.

O'Reilly makes "appearances outside his own program" quite a lot -- mostly I suspect to market his books (just like any other author).

. . =(_8^(1)

I think he is a very good political commentator.

He has very interesting and controversial guests, and they often get a long segment to discuss the issues.

He follows up on issues aired previously.

He can be unrelenting to those he chooses to crucify, such as judges that let child molesters go free. Try to find anyone else that has bothered to truly champion such causes.

I really liked the parody that Saturday Night Live did of him. The issue was whether California or New York had a greater population. He said something to the effect of, I just don't see it, when I step out on the street in New York, there are people everywhere, not so in California, where am I wrong? :D This was a good example of how he can tend to make up his mind no matter what. He can also get really worked up and make an ass of himself, no doubt about that, but Phil Donohue and Letterman are asses that spew bullshit from a totally uninformed perspective.

To those that tow the liberal line of despising him, what political commentator do you think is worthy?

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

> I think he is a very good political commentator.

> . . . but Phil Donohue and Letterman are asses that spew bullshit from
> a totally uninformed perspective.

O'Reilly is an entertainer. If he entertains you, great! Listen to him. Donohue and Letterman are even more successful entertainers, and from a purely capitalistic perspective are more informed than O'Reilly (because they have captured more market share.)

Do not make the mistake of thinking that good entertainment equals validity or accuracy. The inaccuracies and deceptions of O'Reilly have been well documented; political commentators like Franken have similar records. Letterman would have an even worse record if he claimed to be an accurate "no spin" reporter instead of the host of a late night comedy show.

I understand that you don't want him to be respected at all. He is more combative to the far left than the far right, so you are towing the line, as expected.

What political commentator can get any ratings without some entertainment value?

There are plenty of times I think he's wrong, many more times he is spot on, in my opinion.

What political commentators do you respect? Perhaps Rosie O'Donnell? :D

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

maybe you are right, but he's just one of a ton of left and right political speakers that, strangely, have about the exact same style as every other one that gets good ratings and makes a ton of cash as a result. This is big business, and worth a ton of bucks. I don't think any action or statement isn't an on the spot calculation designed to increase publicity.

You think he's sincere, but a jackass.

I think he's insincere, and calculating - like all the others are too.

whether on not he's a jackass in real life is really inconsequential

Actually I think he's a sincere jackass who won't hesitate to hype his jackassedness if he thinks it will help the payday so I think we may both be right. And I think that applies to all of them. Admittedly though, I can't compare him to any of the left wing hack jobs because I never listen to Air America and I think I may be the only person in this forum who has no idea when Rosie's show comes on. I'm guessing that it's while I'm at work and I really couldn't give a crap what she thinks either. The reason that I give B O' a hard time is because he, Limbaugh, and Hannity etc. have a tendency to pretend that they're "news" sources (and are often presented as such in forums like these). That's where I think they cross the line. Bottom line, news/entertainment/whatever of the sort that all of those parties provide do a disservice to any thinking person. I put them all in the same category as the paternity testing, chair flinging, security guarded scream fests that make money for Maury, Springer, Geraldo and the like. We'd all be better off with re-runs of Match Game or the Gong Show. Now THAT was entertainment!

> I understand that you don't want him to be respected at all.

What are you talking about? He makes a very respectable amount of money with his skills. He's obviously used his considerable smarts and stage presence to become a very successful media personality.

>He is more combative to the far left than the far right, so you are towing
>the line, as expected.

Which line is that? Would it fit into your worldview better if I said O'Reilly is a dick, and Franken is a smart, thoughtful interviewer? Then you could say "that's absurd! Franken is a dick and O'Reilly is smart." And you will have played your role in the endless (and pointless) partisan battle.

Play that game if you like; I'll bow out. They're both successful entertainers. If either one entertains you, good for you. Listen to them and be happy. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that they are speaking the truth instead of what makes them money. They're not idiots.

Just don't delude yourself into thinking that they are speaking the truth instead of what makes them money.

I don't need your advice to be able to decide what is bullshit and what isn't. I understand that O'Reilly is a threat to liberals, your baseless attack on his credibility is evidence of that.

Why so cynical? Don't you think it is possible to be an entertaining political commentator that often will speak the truth? There are plenty of liberal icons that are frequent guests on his show and respect him, such as Juan Williams of NPR, even Al Sharpton. Even if you think he always lies, he has guests to counter his positions. If I ask a third time will you offer an example that you respect?

William F. Buckley was definitely not an entertainer, he was extremely thoughtful, gave his guests way more time than needed to answer any question, and his show (firing line) was so boring that he didn't reach a big audience.

I think he is a very good political commentator.

Well now your views on Israel and free press have been cleared up.

and they often get a long segment to discuss the issues.

Are you watching the same show as everyone else? because he shouts down every single person he disagrees with.

O'Reilly is an entertainer, he is not a credible "political commenter" in any way, shape or form and his show is not news. He may or may not believe even half the things he says, he acts out a role that generates a large viewing audience and subsequently money, from a badly educated (given they are watching him for serious news) conservative demographic.

There are plenty of times I think he's wrong, many more times he is spot on, in my opinion.

It is also disheartening (as a fellow skydiver) that you watch this show for serious journalism and consider yourself to be informed about free press or news coverage.

The majority of the world who don't get fox news on their TV tune in on pay-tv or youtube for good humor. It actually puts one of my friends in stitches