Gawain

Wear Your Seatbelt - Front or Rear Seat!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070414/ap_on_re_us/corzine_crash

The NJ Governor is pretty messed up after the accident. Broken femur (2 places), 12 broken ribs, broken sternum, fractured vertebra, cuts, etc.

The pictures are from the news, his SUV was seriously mangled!! :o
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

My car does not move unless everyone belts up... Especially if they sit behind me!!

Amen, the laws of physics sure are an indifferent bitch.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

While many people debate whether they could vote for an atheist, Jew, fundamentalist Christian, etc. I have grave concerns about granting leadership to those who lack common sense. Wearing your seatbelt, quitting smoking, and avoiding the company of organized criminals are prerequisites in my book.
I wish him a speedy recovery; he sounds pretty messed up.

While many people debate whether they could vote for an atheist, Jew, fundamentalist Christian, etc. I have grave concerns about granting leadership to those who lack common sense. Wearing your seatbelt, quitting smoking, and avoiding the company of organized criminals are prerequisites in my book.
I wish him a speedy recovery; he sounds pretty messed up.

Maybe he could be the national poster child for the Darwin Award!;)

It looks to me like the crash was not so severe. I wouldn't have wanted to be in it, but it looks like there was no intrusion into the passenger compartment. He likely would have walked away with a sore chest from the seatbelt and such. The news story didn't mention how badly Corzine's driver was hurt, probably not much at all.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I can't remember what TV show it was on but they did a whole segment on crashes and had the inside video of crash test dummies and the injuries they sustained. The shocking one was where the front seat people were belted in and the back seat people were not. The people in the front sustained more injuries from the back seat occupants flying forward and hitting them than they did when the front seat occupants didn't wear a seat belt. Back seat occupants with no seat belts where KIA after bouncing around the inside of the car. Bottom line, everyone needs to wear a seatbelt.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It looks to me like the crash was not so severe. I wouldn't have wanted to be in it, but it looks like there was no intrusion into the passenger compartment. He likely would have walked away with a sore chest from the seatbelt and such. The news story didn't mention how badly Corzine's driver was hurt, probably not much at all.

Maybe, but I don't know...Suburbans are pretty big vehicles...and the doors got blown off the damn thing. That's a pretty big hit for a vehicle like that.
Make light!

Last Thursday night while driving home after work I saw a dead guy strapped in his Expedition that rolled a few times down an exit ramp........The tow truck driver was making a cut throat motion with his hand to a cop as I was driving by......[:/]

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

>As is the design of the vehicle itself.

Yes. But many people think that SUV's are inherently safer than cars; often they buy them "to keep their family safe" or some such. As we've discovered, this is not the case. If that's really the desire, a Passat is a better investment than an Expedition.

One of the problems is that the cars may be of different design, the the person inside, is not... They will still need to decelerate to 0 mph in roughly the same time and thus face the same forces ...... all without crumple zones!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Let's remember: in the crash that killed Princess Diana, where 3 people died and 1 survived, the 1 who survived (he was in the front passenger seat) was the only one wearing a seat belt.

My first experience with the death of a peer was in high school, when a friend of mine rolled his small car after losing it in a hi-speed turn. His front-seat passenger, who was belted in, got only scrapes and bruises. My friend, who was not wearing a seat belt, was DOA.

My and my wife's parents are notorious for not wearing seat belts when riding in the back seats of cars. We never let them do that when we're driving.

Seat belts are a far bigger determinant of how safe someone is in a crash.

As is the design of the vehicle itself.

http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150

The deaths/vehicle as cited in the article aren't very useful because they include deaths of the vehicles they hit, and don't distinguish for belted vs unbelted occupants, and don't include anything for severity of injury - just deaths are reported.

I was a chief design engineer at Honda R&D for 10 years, the guys in the crash test group tell me that Honda's lineup now has better crash test results than Volvo's. I've seen a lot of the tests (large and small vehicles - from the Civic to the Pilot/Ridgeline) at the Ohio facility, their performance is very good:

http://corporate.honda.com/safety/foreveryone.aspx?from=safety.honda.com

If manufacturers did not have to design for both belted and unbelted occupants, the results would be even better, often the design requirements are not compatible.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Let's remember: in the crash that killed Princess Diana, where 3 people died and 1 survived, the 1 who survived (he was in the front passenger seat) was the only one wearing a seat belt.

That is the biggest reason that I can't believe the crash was a conspiracy to kill her - the result would be so uncertain, it was a large car from a mfg with a good safety reputation. You might think a person that doesn't normally wear a seatbelt might put one on when the aggressive driving started.

A few months back I represented a man at a Coroner's Inquest who was involved in a fatal head-on collision earlier last year.

He was wearing his seatbelt. He walked away from the accident and gave evidence at the inquest despite the fact that his car suffered significantly more serious damage than the other.

The woman in the other car was not wearing a seatbelt. The police accident reconstruction determined that each car was going no more than 30mph at impact.

The 22 year old woman in the other car died at the scene. She was traveling home from work early because she was suffering from morning sickness. Her unborn baby died with her. Her first daughter was due to celebrate her first birthday the next day and a party was already planned.

She was traveling at 30mph along the road she took every day from work to home. She wasn't wearing her seatbelt. She is dead. My client, who was wearing his seatbelt, wasn't even injured.

Buckle up folks.

That is the biggest reason that I can't believe the crash was a conspiracy to kill her - the result would be so uncertain, it was a large car from a mfg with a good safety reputation. You might think a person that doesn't normally wear a seatbelt might put one on when the aggressive driving started.

The other factor there was speed also, apparently, they were going over 100mph at the time. Even Mercedes and Volvos aren't designed to deal with that.
Make light!

The other factor there was speed also, apparently, they were going over 100mph at the time. Even Mercedes and Volvos aren't designed to deal with that.

No doubt. But still, the fact that the front-passenger seat occupant survived, especially at the velocity you mention, certainly illustrates the point.

My car does not move unless everyone belts up... Especially if they sit behind me!!

I'm reminded of an accident that killed a college friend and injured three others back in the late 80's. They were driving from Rochester NY to NYC to attend a friend's funeral, but took an alternate route through PA. They were on the route that follows the Susquehanna River, I think, in the middle of winter, with snow and ice everywhere. Went around a curve a little too fast, and plowed head-on into a huge snow-plow truck coming the other way. The impact drove the engine of their car right into the space between the two front seats. The driver, front passenger and left rear passenger, survived with some injuries because they all had their seatbelts on. The right rear passenger, did not have the seatbelts on. He died. He was in the best location to escape serious injury if he'd had the belt on. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm reminded of an accident that killed a college friend and injured three others back in the late 80's. They were driving from Rochester NY to NYC to attend a friend's funeral, but took an alternate route through PA. They were on the route that follows the Susquehanna River, I think, in the middle of winter, with snow and ice everywhere. Went around a curve a little too fast, and plowed head-on into a huge snow-plow truck coming the other way. The impact drove the engine of their car right into the space between the two front seats. The driver, front passenger and left rear passenger, survived with some injuries because they all had their seatbelts on. The right rear passenger, did not have the seatbelts on. He died. He was in the best location to escape serious injury if he'd had the belt on. [:/]

Need I say more?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Went around a curve a little too fast, and plowed head-on into a huge snow-plow truck

Need I say more?

Nope... Although they were below the speed limit at the time, they were going too fast for conditions... snow/ice on the roads. I wrecked my car one time in upstate NY in the middle of nowhere in the Adirondacks. Speed limit was 55. I was going 45 with an inch of snow on the road and still snowing. Missed a sharp turn. :S The best thing to do would have been to stay home.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The people in the front sustained more injuries from the back seat occupants flying forward and hitting them than they did when the front seat occupants didn't wear a seat belt.

Remember that as well if you ever see people not taking seatbelts in jump planes seriously.

In the words of Jamie Hyneman, "Unfortunately, human beings are big heavy things."