peckerhead

Imus in the morning

>And that is one face of REAL racism today.

I have a feeling that if someone went up to your girlfriend/wife and called her white trash, you'd at least become upset (if not angry enough to pound them.) Does that make you racist?

If ANYONE did it, not just a black person, that's the difference.

Imus wasn't being a racist, he was being a GUY!

And Imus should go back to just being a GUY and not a nationally broadcast radio personality.

About as much as you should go back to being a guy and not a professor and prolific political web poster.

What do you find acceptable about calling identifiable college girls "hos" on national radio?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>The issue should be about the words alone, not who said them. They
>are either off limits for everyone or no one.

That's not a very defensible position IMO. I'd say "HEY ASSHOLE!" to a plane full of skydivers, but I'd never say it in an airliner. Sarah Silverman makes fun of jews quite a lot, which she gets away with because she is one. Knowing who you're talking to (and who you are) is pretty important.

My position is that Al Sharpton only jumped on this bandwagon because Imus is white. If those words don't offend him when some black person on the street says them, and I'm sure it doesn't, then it just proves that he is the racist.

And Imus should go back to just being a GUY and not a nationally broadcast radio personality.

About as much as you should go back to being a guy and not a professor and prolific political web poster.

What do you find acceptable about calling identifiable college girls "hos" on national radio?

There's a lot of stuff on national radio I don't listen to, Imus included.

It's a dumb thing to say but have you heard the segment and the comment that preceeded it? If this was about calling a girls team hos Sharpton wouldn't be complaining. This has unfortunately entered the vanacular.

Bernard McGuirk the executive producer interjects in the middle of what Imus is saying and says "... some hardcore hos" and Imus parrots it with his prefix.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200704040011

And that is one face of REAL racism today.

Are you referring to the NY style beat down?

That's how NY is my friend. I hear it all the time. I hear all races getting discriminated all the time and they'll give anyone a NY style beat down if they're called a racial slur. That goes for blacks, latinos, asians, east asians, whites, middle easterns, etc. NY is a big melting pot. If you go up to anyone and call them a racial slur. It won't be pretty for you my friend. That's the sad and honest to God truth about NYC. Unless you're with 100 people behind you, calling 50 or less other people racial slurs, you won't walk away unscathed that's a given.

NY'ers don't tolerate racism on a smaller scale.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

SuperKat, does that hold true if a black person called a white person a racial slur?

Does what hold true? If a black person calls a white person a racial slur the black person getting a beat down?

Of course, anyone will get a beat down. It all depends on that person. Is he a brawler? A computer geek? A family guy? An older guy? If it's the latter, a beat down to the black person is highly unlikely going to happen. That goes with any race. If it's a stand up citizen, words might be exchanged but delivering a beatdown is highly improbable.

No, I'm referring to beating someone up for using words they're not allowed to use because of the color of their skin.

I don't know where you're from dorbie but we don't do that kind of thing here in NY unless we're looking to get our ass kicked. It's a given in NY dorbie. If someone wanted to say a racial slur it's done in private, it's not done publicly. Is that so hard to understand?

There's a lot of stuff on national radio I don't listen to, Imus included.

It's a dumb thing to say but have you heard the segment and the comment that preceeded it? If this was about calling a girls team hos Sharpton wouldn't be complaining. This has unfortunately entered the vanacular.

Bernard McGuirk the executive producer interjects in the middle of what Imus is saying and says "... some hardcore hos" and Imus parrots it with his prefix.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200704040011

OK, but what do YOUfind acceptable about calling identifiable college girls "hos" on national radio?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

OK, but what do YOUfind acceptable about calling identifiable college girls "hos" on national radio?

Have you ever called anyone a name, ever?

Have you ever said something that you regretted?

Everyone is saying that it matters who said it and under what circumstances. EVERYONE knows that Imus does satire and humor. He went too far. Let it go.

A guy just lit his wife on fire. Why is a lame joke important in the grand scheme?

Had this been said on Headline News, different story. South Park, Imus, Stern are all known to offend. If you don't want to get offended, don't listen. And, anyone who is on TV is fair game for the butt of jokes IMHO.

>The issue should be about the words alone, not who said them. They
>are either off limits for everyone or no one.

That's not a very defensible position IMO. I'd say "HEY ASSHOLE!" to a plane full of skydivers, but I'd never say it in an airliner. Sarah Silverman makes fun of jews quite a lot, which she gets away with because she is one. Knowing who you're talking to (and who you are) is pretty important.

My position is that Al Sharpton only jumped on this bandwagon because Imus is white. If those words don't offend him when some black person on the street says them, and I'm sure it doesn't, then it just proves that he is the racist.

I agree with that. It's talk that's acceptable when said by some, but unacceptable when said by others. Imus talks lots of shit. Some people take it in stride. Others get all bent out of shape. Al Sharpton's the one I'd like to see move on.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Bill,
Have you ever said "Hey Asshole" accidentally in front of a kid? It is hard to instantly and accurately judge the appropriatness of the comment vs. the audience.

Also, I found out at age 35 that my birth mom is Jewish. Can I now make Jew jokes? Can Tiger Woods make black jokes?

Its a slippery slope and the line appears to be where anyone who WANTS to be offended draws it. I don't think the consequences for a Comedian offending someone should be the loss of his job.

Al Sharpton's the one I'd like to see move on.

No, kidding. If it was me in that position, I'd say, "Yeah, I'll go on Al Sharpton's show and answer his questions but with one condition - I've got questions of my own that I'd like to ask him about why he won't pay up or even apologize for the Tawana Brawley episode, among others."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Racism in any form... sucks!

You couldn't be more right, my friend. However, it's alive and well today, even in the good ol' melting pot.

Sad to say but, you are right. I saw the evening news and they had the girl's basketball team on. One by one, they spoke. You could see in the eyes of women who hold a 3.0 or better GPA, women who are going to be teachers and doctors, these women who only wanted to celebrate a hard fought victory, you could see in their eyes, the hurt because of someone's spoken words. Words really do hurt.
We have the freedom of speech but, with that freedom comes responsibility for what we say.

Chuck

Let's see. Any number of black comedians can make the same or worse comments about those same people and get a pass, but a white guy says it and he's racist. Clowns like Sharpton and Jackson aren't about truth and honesty, they're about punishment of someone whom they see as their enemy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, what happened to free speech?

as long as you don't say anything that can be contrued as putting a name and action together, your pretty safe,,, the down side to that is that 99.9% of how we talk is based off that fact i stated above.. in other words, your screwed... oops, i may have just violated free speech with that last statement

A guy just lit his wife on fire. Why is a lame joke important in the grand scheme?

Excellent response!!! more important things going on in life than some lame joke went bad,, get real, people say dumb things by mistake or on purpose,, but to put soo much energy into something so trival is beyond me, have we as ppl become that shallow when it comes to name calling??? we have all been called names, big deal!! has it affected me, not that i can think of,, i have gone on to do and learn and acheive things that i never knew possible, but if i let some name calling like dork, dickhead, loser, cracker, nigger, etc,etc affect me, then i think that person has more personal issues than just someone calling them a name?? am i wrong in this thinking??

Sad to say but, you are right. I saw the evening news and they had the girl's basketball team on. One by one, they spoke. You could see in the eyes of women who hold a 3.0 or better GPA, women who are going to be teachers and doctors, these women who only wanted to celebrate a hard fought victory, you could see in their eyes, the hurt because of someone's spoken words. Words really do hurt.

saw parts of it too. I have to say that I agree with Kallend that Imus was a jerk. But disagree with the whining about him losing his job.

Then he apologized publicly. With that, it should have been over. But now, after seeing how the 'girls' and their coaches are playing on this, I have to now say "WAAAHHHHHHHHHH". I also think these girls are being led down this path by someone with an agenda also.

If they choose to do so, they could be, right now, celebrating their hard fought victory and not even giving this any more time or thought.

I always thought the precedent set by "Little Timmy vs the State of Michigan" in the use of the "Sticks and Stones" defense was still strong in the country.

"Words really do hurt" Yup, suck it up cupcake, waaaahhhh

"We have the freedom of speech but, with the freedom comes responsibility for what we say" Damn straight - totally agree. He made a public crack, he made a public apology - all that's left is he works to avoid it in the future. I think public humiliation, loss of job, being shaved bald and neutered,, is over the line.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants