peckerhead

Imus in the morning

I don't watch a lot of TV but I start my mornings off with Don Imus. It started years back when I listened to his radio show. I don't agree with everything he says but I do agree with most of it. Politically we are very close.

So he said something stupid, so what! I watched the show in question and I did not think anything of it because he makes fun of everybody. Apparently a womans college basketball team is off limits.

This is a man that has done so much and raised so much money for other people. He has raised millions for autistic children and children with cancer. He led the charge to help Katrina victims. He raised over 10 million for the fallen heros fund to help build the center for the Intrepid. (300, 000 of his own money) Much of his philanthropy benefits African Americans.

If you talk on the radio 4 hours a day every day for 35 years eventually you will put your foot in your mouth. It would be a tragedy if he loses his job over this. The kids he helps will be the ones who suffer for it.

He has appologized, let it go.

Al sharpton needs to get a life.

Black people DO have nappy hair.

I'm not sure who to blame on this one. Blacks for getting all upset over a few words, or whites for wimping out and apologizing. Big deal. Sticks and stones, people.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

What about the "hos" part? I've always loved Imus but this crossed the line. I think the two week suspension is just. I don't want to see him fired at all but people need to start taking responsibility for what they spout off.

For you to say "Black people DO have nappy hair" show you obviously don't fully understand what the term means. "Nappy" has a decidely negative connotation and is 10 out of 10 times an insult. Take into account the other things he said right along side that comment and it was obvious HE understood what he was doing. He also referred to them as "hoes" and I hope I don't have to explain how that's an insult as well.

Stick and stones? Garbage. Words do hurt. I promise you he wouldn't have said that to any of the players' faces. The difference here is there is no equivalent experience for people who aren't black. It IS a big deal, and honestly if you displayed a little humility and honestly wanted to learn and understand you might be able to. You don't. Still don't think it's a big deal? Walk up to a black person and tell he or she their hair is nappy. It's a big muthafucking deal.

Executive producer Bernard McGuirk was the first one to call them "ho's". So why aren't they going after him?

I guess anyone can be a ho, but nappy hair comments are racist. Imus has nappy hair.

God Bless the United States of the Offended.

What about the "hos" part?

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

It's a big muthafucking deal.

I'm offended by your profanity.

It's only a big deal when people want it to be. And lately, EVERYTHING is offensive to minorities. Perhaps white folks should refer to a "unacceptable words or phrases" manual before conversing with others. Nappy hair has no negative connotation to me, sorry.

Perhaps West Virginians..

Ahh, so you want to stereotype West Virginians? How original. Sorry, I'm not offended by your remarks. Sticks and stones....

For you to say "Black people DO have nappy hair" show you obviously don't fully understand what the term means. "Nappy" has a decidely negative connotation and is 10 out of 10 times an insult.

BULLSHIT, a very good friend of mine used to tell me she had nappy hair and had to put work into it, it was never an issue for her. I'd never heard the word before but she sure never had a problem using it to describe herself. You're just selective about who is allowed to say what and when. When you lie about the universal offensiveness of words you do yourself and an entire minority group a disservice, making them look like antagonistic shit stirrers.

He shouldn't have used hos, but the guy immediately before him used the word to describe the team and got off scott free. Now I agree that "nappy headed hos" is a dumb and offensive statement, but it had a context including the quote preceeding it. You don't get to redefine the language as insults whenever whitey uses a word you think is reserved exclusively for minority use. They were actually trying to say how badass the team was, and Imus fucked up, but not without a lot of encouragement from his interviewee.

Did you hear the Al Sharpton interview, it had a CLASSIC "What do you mean, "you people"" moment, LITERALLY, I shit you not. Unbelievable!

And I'm no Imus fan after what he said about British troops today, he showed what a fuckwited, conceited, senile liability he is, you still don't get to revise the language when it suits you.

Your friend referring to her hair as "nappy" doesn't change the fact it has a negative connotation. Her using the word in reference to herself, in front of you doedn't change anything either. She had a grade of hair that was difficult to work with as opposed to "good hair," a term that's also used in the black community. Hardly bullshit. You're confusing your lack of understanding for me lying.

I've never said or alluded to it not be offensive coming from a black person's mouth. It's actually worse in my opinion.

I think that there are plenty of people who are ultrasensitive to many things. However, sometimes you gotta look at things to see WHY they are so sensitive.

I offended a black woman a few weeks ago when she told me she was a grandmother. She looked great, and I told her she doesn't look old enough to be a grandmother. I thought it fairly innocuous but it bothered her.

She had her reasons. She was a successful woman, and actually appeared younger than her stated age and in very good shape. But - she viewed the comments as being like a stereotypical black girl having kids at age 14.

I could understand that. She didn't want to be viewed like that, and it is something I hadn't considered. On the flip side, she hadn't actually considered that I was not making a nasty comment - I actually thought she looked good.

Subjective experiences lead to being offended. Of course, subjective experience is not always indicative of objective reality. Imus said something that was pretty ill-advised and deserved some feedback. However, I don't think that it deserved the type of rage that it got.

I'm no fan of Imus and he deserves to be castigated. But I don't think he should be ruined.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Your friend referring to her hair as "nappy" doesn't change the fact it has a negative connotation. Her using the word in reference to herself, in front of you doedn't change anything either. She had a grade of hair that was difficult to work with as opposed to "good hair," a term that's also used in the black community. Hardly bullshit. You're confusing your lack of understanding for me lying.

You make my point for me.

All the crackers out there will be reading your linguistic summersaults in stunned amazement.

>She had a grade of hair that was difficult to work with as opposed to
>"good hair," a term that's also used in the black community.

So would "you have good hair" be an insult, since it refers to a grade of hair used by the black community as well?

I strongly suspect that it is entirely speaker dependent. I could tell most of my friends (no matter what their color, religion etc) that they had good hair/bad hair/messy hair/nappy hair/greasy hair/a bug in their hair and it wouldn't be an issue at all. I could tell other people that they look great and they'd be really pissed off.

Stick and stones? Garbage. Words do hurt.

Only if you let them. Stones on the other hand...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about the "hos" part? I've always loved Imus but this crossed the line. I think the two week suspension is just. I don't want to see him fired at all but people need to start taking responsibility for what they spout off.

Let's see. Any number of black comedians can make the same or worse comments about those same people and get a pass, but a white guy says it and he's racist. Clowns like Sharpton and Jackson aren't about truth and honesty, they're about punishment of someone whom they see as their enemy.

I'm suddenly remembering the pass that Rosie got on her Ching Chong Ching comment because she's a rabid leftist.

Imus apologised... let's move on. I am not saying that what he said was not wrong... it was. Everyone sticks their foot in their mouth at least once. Al Sharpton has no room to talk. Check-out hisrecord! This guy, has lied to police with a trumped-up story about a young black girl being sexually assaulted by white men. He has a record as a dope dealer and etc. Now, he's found Jesus and that makes him better than anyone else?

Chuck

Let's see. Any number of black comedians can make the same or worse comments about those same people and get a pass, but a white guy says it and he's racist. Clowns like Sharpton and Jackson aren't about truth and honesty, they're about punishment of someone whom they see as their enemy.

Umm... I never referenced Sharpton or Jackson or black comedians. The issue is what Imus said.