Andy9o8

Brit sailors: our "confessions" were coerced

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070406/ap_on_re_eu/iran_britain

British crew: Iran blindfolded detainees

ROYAL MARINE BASE CHIVENOR, England - British sailors and marines held for nearly two weeks in Iran were blindfolded, bound and threatened with prison if they did not say they had strayed into Iranian waters, a Royal Navy lieutenant who was among the capitives said Friday.

Lt. Felix Carman, safely home with his 14 colleagues, said the crew faced harsh interrogation by their Iranian captors and slept in stone cells on piles of blankets. Unable to see and kept isolated, they heard weapons cocking.

"We were blindfolded, our hands were bound and we were forced up against a wall. Throughout our ordeal we faced constant psychological pressure," Carman said. "All of us were kept in isolation. We were interrogated most nights and presented with two options. If we admitted that we'd strayed, we'd be on a plane to (Britain) pretty soon. If we didn't, we faced up to seven years in prison."

Carman had been pictured on Iranian television saying he "understood" why Iran was angry the crew had strayed into their waters. At Friday's news conference, he said the crew was nearly two nautical miles from Iran's territory — and that they had never apologized.

"Let me make this clear — irrespective of what was said in the past — when we were detained by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard we were inside internationally recognized Iraqi territorial waters," he said. "At no time did we actually say were sorry for straying into Iranian waters."

See? The Iranians are doing it, too. No physical harm or anything. So why is the world pissed off the Americans are doing this?

The Iranians got confessions - valuable intelligence. And, there are reasons to think that the Geneva Convention did not apply - the Brits were not "combatants" - clearly, there was no "combat."

Oh, and the Iranians didn't give these guys (and gal) any chances for a trial, did they?

People should quit bitching about what the US does. Iran does it, only they release British Nationals instead of just holing them up and feeding them Froot Loops.

edited to add: p.s. I caught some shit sometimes from other soldiers when I told them that if I were captured, yeah, I'd confess on camera. I dont' see much of a way that anybody in the public would hold it against me, and if it meant I didn't get any bamboo up my fingernails, it'd be worth it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

No duh. Did anyone really believe they were telling their own truth? Come on. :S

Too bad they couldn't do morse code with their eye lids like American prisoners in Viet Nam did.

Or even the "Hawaiian good luck sign" That the crew of the Pueblo used when captured by the N. Koreans.(see attached)

I doubt they teach morse code anymore, at least not to normal sailors/soldiers. I can send/recieve a blistering 5 WPM!

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

See? The Iranians are doing it, too. No physical harm or anything. So why is the world pissed off the Americans are doing this?

Please, please, please tell me this was tounge-in-cheek? Please?[:/]

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

edited to add: p.s. I caught some shit sometimes from other soldiers when I told them that if I were captured, yeah, I'd confess on camera. I dont' see much of a way that anybody in the public would hold it against me, and if it meant I didn't get any bamboo up my fingernails, it'd be worth it.

You'd be out the first 15 minutes in S.E.R.E. school. ;)

steveOrino

Probably did, Was he using them to trump the virtues of Iran?

No use paraphrasing it, here's the thread:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2732468

and here's one post from Darius11 that is noteworthy (bold added to show the specific quote):

Nothing can make Iran be the good guy right?
No matter what. Even when at least one of the sailors have admitted and apologized for being in Iranian waters………………..Oh yea that’s bull shit only what Fox news says is true.

You guys are just fucking incredible.

As you can see, he was quite serious.

I was in Special Forces back in 1979, I know better.

Respect.

Well, in his defense I can understand why he feels the way he does to some extent. Goodness knows I don't approve of all that the USA does.

The Beluchi (sp?) tribesmen of Iran were noteable people. So while I have a measure of respect for many people in Iran their leader is a turd hostage taker from times past. As hard as I try to forget 1979 it stays with me. I have asked JC to give me a little peace about the ordeal but let's say I'm still "trying".

steveOrino

I would propose that there is nothing wrong with Iran, USA, UK or any other country for that matter ... it's some of the folks in those countries that are the root causes of the problems.

It's not before time that we stopped demonising a complete group of people based upon the actions of a few. Generalisations are way too easy and a very very lazy debating tactic.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Oh gawd before everyone has there circle jerk I think we all know troops will say what they are told to say. You don't seem to get it. It is all hearsay. Like I said before we don't know what side they were on. I am sure after all shit they got for saying what they did they would say they meet the easterbunny if they are ordered to say so.

Not saying I know what side theywere on just that just because they are saying it doesn't make it true or fact.

Sorry for the spelling not at a pc rightnow.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Indeed it WAS tongue-in-cheek. Seizing people. Holding them. Blindfolded and disoriented. Getting confessions and information.

Sounds familiar, duddin it? I was trying to find anything in that account that I viewed as worse than what the US has been doing. I couldn't find anything remotely near worse.

I stand by every thing that I said.
What did you think they would say?

I think you might be a bit out of touch

Steve said he was in the sp forces so I will ask him.

After an ordeal like that would the UK troops be allowed to say any thing that would bebad for their country?
Or would they be instructed on what they are allowed and not allowed to say to the media and public?

You'd be out the first 15 minutes in S.E.R.E. school. ;)

Oh, yes. I reckoned as much. I was still in ROTC when word of the SERE School shit about resistance to sexual assault training scandal hit the airwaves. It just reinforced my thoughts - if it means I don't take a pecker up the kazoo, I'll confess.

So now you're saying that they were telling the truth when held captive and threatened by Iran, but now that they're home safe as free men in a free country they're lying?

I'm impressed, you've got me convinced. :S:D:D:D

No iam saying because they say it that doesn't make it true. That's all.

What ever happened to NAME, RANK AND SERIAL#? PUSSIES
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

lol noone leaves SERE without confessing to something and giving up some intell. Personally I would have slammed my face against the wall/ground so they wouldn't have put me on camera due to looking like getting my ass wooped.

and yes I say that now sitting safely behind my computer playing on the interweb. :D

edited to add:

[farsy]

Soldier #1 - That crazy bastard keeps running full speed into the wall face first sir.

Soldier #2 - Well go in there and stop him.

Soldier #1 - I already tried sir. He just keeps screaming at me to hit him.

Soldier #2 - and did you?

Soldier #1 - Of coursae I did but it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be because he just kept laughing and asking for another.

Soldier #2 - crazy fuckin brit.

[/farsy]
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Steve said he was in the sp forces so I will ask him.

After an ordeal like that would the UK troops be allowed to say any thing that would bebad for their country?
Or would they be instructed on what they are allowed and not allowed to say to the media and public?

They'd be briefed on what they were allowed to say.

EDITED TO ADD: Most likely they are allowed to say limited versions of the truth. It is much easier to say a little truth and maintain it rather than keep up a lie.

steveOrino

What ever happened to NAME, RANK AND SERIAL#? PUSSIES

You've watched too much hollywood. It is resist as long as you can. Intel grows stale.

steveOrino