dorbie

Second thoughts!

"The sanctity of life that formed the moral center of petitioner's life was being challenged," Collier wrote in a court filing.

:S

Not going to criticise the guy for being averse to killing, but I wonder why he joined the Marines to begin with.

I can't imagine what he was expecting when he joined, but personally, I'd rather have him out of my unit. What I don't understand is why they can't assign him rear duty. Hey, the only thing you have to kill if you are a cook is a chicken!!:S

I'm betting they tried to give him rear duty. The fact that he went to court to get out sounds like they weren't ready to let him go, and at the same time you can't imagine that anyone would want him close to the action where people have to be able to count on him to do the job.

My bet is that he wanted out and wouldn't accept anything but out.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The guy joined the Marines, expecting the Boy Scouts:

His whole family was in one branch of the military or another. He was raised in a environment where one served. But obviously he didn't really think about what that service actually meant.

So long as he doesn't get any benefits for his limited stay, better for all parties if he's sent out.

Every time there's a story about some US or Brit conscientious objector wanting out of the military or deployment to the Sandbox, a thread gets started where everyone chimes in about what a dickhead he is. Sort of the military equivalent to the "scumbag criminal, hang 'em high" threads. Press autopilot, see it happen. OK, moving along, now...

Every time there's a story about some US or Brit conscientious objector wanting out of the military or deployment to the Sandbox, a thread gets started where everyone chimes in about what a dickhead he is. Sort of the military equivalent to the "scumbag criminal, hang 'em high" threads. Press autopilot, see it happen. OK, moving along, now...

Dude, the guy volunteered for the Marines then decided he didn't like killing. He walked in off the street and signed up, you have to go out of your way to do this. You also have to be implausibly oblivious to be unaware of what you're getting into.

And NOBODY has said hang em high, there's only one post calling him a shitbag, the only knee jerking is yours.

look, if the guy would've joined lets say the Air Force. And was in a totally non-combatant career field (yes there's plenty of them), and then someone told him "Here's your rifle, now go over to Iraq and go on patrol", then sure I'd cut him some slack.:S

Buttttttt, this guy joins the freakin Marines. All Marines are combat troops first.

Edit to add: a reservist.

He should have to repay the government for the time and resources wasted on training him. He should received no military benefits.

-- Head
--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

"The sanctity of life that formed the moral center of petitioner's life was being challenged," Collier wrote in a court filing.

:S

Not going to criticise the guy for being averse to killing, but I wonder why he joined the Marines to begin with.

Tha is my point. What did he think the Marines do???

steveOrino

>What did he think the Marines do???

When I was 18 I didn't know my ass from my elbow. I suspect he didn't think about it very much and did it because everyone else in his family did. At least he realized his mistake before he got into a situation where he put someone else's life at risk.