Zipp0

Iran - How Far Will they Push?

To support your uninformed argument you're making assumptions and coming to conclusions of military type situations you have no experience of.

So like I asked earlier, what would you know?

Fuck all.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

This is a really silly argument. You don't know anymore about this then I do. You weren't there yet you think they should have resisted.

You advocate this??

An old college mentioned the other day; 'Fucking hell, if it had been us it'd be "IRANIANS MASSACRED"

I can't think of any reason why you would think that would be a good idea. That would create an even bigger incident then what is currently happening.

>Historically, it's an anomaly. The USA has never condoned torture, or
>had an administration that tried to find a way to make it acceptable, until
>recently.

I will agree with you there. I hope we get back to our senses, and I hope Iran comes to their senses and releases the Brits.

An old college mentioned the other day; 'Fucking hell, if it had been us it'd be "IRANIANS MASSACRED"

I can't think of any reason why you would think that would be a good idea.

It is quite silly but if I'd stayed in the pub I'd end up getting into a situation I might regret........

Now, to answer your question, it'd be a fucking brilliant idea, because I wouldn't be 'in the bag' for real. And I wouldn't be building on the suspicion which already, and justifiably, exists regarding a certain unit being too quick to surrender.

I'd be delighted for anyone from the unit to argue this point - I'd shoot their debate down in seconds.

Now, if you were at least British, I might think it slightly worthwhile to continue talking all this crap, but as an American civilian, I won't bother. You can't even read between the lines.

Yet, as an American civilian, you again make an uninformed assumption that I know nothing about this, as you admit to.

So I'm as fucking uninformed as you are?

Fuck off.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

I'd probably fight overwhelming odds rather than allow myself to be captured by them. The same goes for the insurgents in Iraq. When you know you will end up on the internet being beheaded with a butter knife, why not go down fighting?

One thing is for certain - these people needed better suppor(air support or gunship support nearby)t, and much bigger guns.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

To support your uninformed argument you're making assumptions and coming to conclusions of military type situations you have no experience of.

So like I asked earlier, what would you know?

Having never been in the military, I know fuck all. So don't worry about my knowledge base here, Vring.

What I wonder about is this.

What are the rules of engagement about meeting a "non" enemy in international waters? Are there any? What are the guidelines? Does anyone know?

And I'd add this thought to the conversation about why the Iranians were not "massacred" right off the bat.

It was an Indian ship that was boarded. Lots of innocents there (even if it were only 1 sailor on that ship, that sailor is indeed innocent). One reason to not have a firefight, I'd think.

Another reason to not have a firefight is that the Iranians are itching for a confrontation. They've been pushing buttons for a while now, and doing everything they can do to encourage some sort of retaliation. If indeed the Brits did open fire, you can bet the headline would read "Iranians attacked by UK in International Waters." And the fight would be on. The Brits showed amazing composure and willingness to not have a battle that would be unwinnable, even if the combatants were dead. The Iranians had a win-win situation there...and they exploited it completely. And they continue to exploit it totally.

And lastly, the thought that perhaps the Brits, while knowing the Iranians were not exactly friendly, didn't want to start a war by shooting at a country's soldiers that we are not at war with...

In my "fuck all" opinion, I think that given the very intricate circumstances, the Brits did the right thing...and because of that, all of the responsibility rests solely on Iran.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Sorry Michele, but if you think the captured lads and lady done the right thing to allow themselves to be captured and used as powerful political tools in favour of the Iranians.....what can I say without sounding insulting towards you?

Not a lot.

Sorry Michele, but if you think the captured lads and lady done the right thing to allow themselves to be captured and used as powerful political tools in favour of the Iranians.....what can I say without sounding insulting towards you?

Not a lot.

You sound like an over amped teenager. Talking shit about what you would have done and second guessing what someone actually did.

Not a lot.

If their rules of engagement precluded them from acting until the situation was badly stacked against them, what more could they do? The line between posturing and seizure is pretty thin.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that Iran is not allowing consular visits. Too many facts might get out.

Not a lot.

That's cool; I appreciate your restraint.

However, I don't think they did "the right thing" necessarily, but rather did the proper thing for that given situation. It's far more dicey over there than some people apparently think, and like I said, the fuel for the international fire would be enormous if the Iranians were killed, irrespective of anything else. I'd bet a dollar that we'd see evidence then from the Iranian side that the Brits were indeed in international waters...

It was a no-win situation for the Brits, and they managed to stay alive so far. Who knows what's happening to them right now, and I hope and pray that they all make it through this unscathed (or no more so than already), but I do think they probably did the best they could in a situation not one of us here on these boards have faced.

Ciels-
Michele

Michele, I'm just about finished with gobbing off with all this, but you mention 'the fuel for the international fire would be enormous if the Iranians were killed, irrespective of anything else.'

What happened when the US warship shot down the Iranian airliner in 1988?

Michele, I'm just about finished with gobbing off with all this, but you mention 'the fuel for the international fire would be enormous if the Iranians were killed, irrespective of anything else.'

the difference is back then, we (and the UK) weren't occupying countries in the Middle East. Since then, we've camped a significant portion of our armies there on a continuous basis.

How big the outrage would be might depend on if there were survivors. Right now we only hear the Iranian side of the story since they have denied any access. Had the Brits destoyed the Iranian forces, they would be able to define the 'facts' of the encounter as well.

Oh, one more point - you also said; 'but I do think they probably did the best they could in a situation not one of us here on these boards have faced.'

You really need to learn more about your fellow posters - you may well be rather surprised. I'm not saying loads have been captured by the Iranians, but either way, I'm sure you get my drift.:)

'the difference is back then, we (and the UK) weren't occupying countries in the Middle East. Since then, we've camped a significant portion of our armies there on a continuous basis.'

Well, what was the US ship doing there then?;)

Directly? Not too much. Long term is a whole different story, though.

I would mention that we were not in Iraq, and weren't in Afghanistan at the time. I'd also add that Iran wasn't agitating quite as much, and weren't looking quite as hard for a fight at the time. Iran was just finishing up fighting with Iraq, after an 8 year confrontation. I'd also mention that it was an accident, rather than a deliberate firefight.

Very different situation, and one that just doesn't really compare. Sorry, Vring, but it just doesn't compare. Totally different scenarios, totally different political positions, and totally different energy/intention.

Ciels-
Michele

You really need to learn more about your fellow posters - you may well be rather surprised. I'm not saying loads have been captured by the Iranians, but either way, I'm sure you get my drift.

If you are only 19, and not lying, then I'd say I'm pretty darned accurate saying you haven't been in the situation that the Brits were in a week ago.

As for learning more about my fellow posters, I know plenty, and know who is just spouting off and know who has the experience to back what they're saying. I would bet that I'm pretty accurate in my assessment about you, too. :)
Ciels-
Michele

Christ - I'm not 19. Saaaaaaaaaaaarcasm.

edit: wish I was though.

further edit: If you know your fellow posters so well, are you going to retract your earlier statement/assumption?

Now, concerning the Iranian airbus shot down, it fucking doesn't compare, like you said. 300 odd innocent civilians flying to another Arab country, shot down by an American warship over Arabic waters.

Iranians killed by British forces trying to capture them.

Yeah, your right, the latter scenario would be far,far worse and have much more significant implications in your grand scheme of things.

Wouldn't it?>:(

edit: Regarding what I've experienced and what I've not, I was probably in Bahgdad when you were in your Dad's bag.

Remember that the U.S. captured 5 Iranian "Intelligence Officers" inside Iraq several months ago so this may be an attempt to use the 15 Brits as bargaining chips to get them back. Very likely IMO.

It's also very likely this is an attempt by the Revolutionary Guard to sabotage negotiations between the U.S. and Iran. Keep in mind that Condeleeza Rice is due to meet with Iranian representative in Istanbul in a few weeks to discuss Irans nuclear program. A meeting which the R.G. opposes. There is a lot of support for these meetings that have been conveyed to the U.S. through back channels from many sources inside Iran. These talks will certainly be put on hold until this incident is resolved.

It's also possible that the R.G. is attempting to pressure European Govts. for the return of Gen Ali Reza Asgari who disappeared in Istanbul in Feb. It is unknown whether he defected or was kidnapped. What is known is that he had very detailed knowledge of the R.G. and was a keystone in their communications with Hezbollah.

Whatever the R.G's. reasons, I'm pretty sure it isn't as simple as their claim that the Brits were in Iranian waters.