Lucky...

Should 270's be outlawed at USPA DZ's

I'll give you $5 if your rule cures line twists.

It's not my rule, and I'm not sure what you mean by curing line twists; is that to say that line twists while doing a 180 could still occurr or are you saying line twists at opening?

I'm not advocating either side of this issue, just wondered what the populous would say.

No. There have been plenty of posts in plenty of threads on how we and the DZ's must either police ourselves or develop a sensible BSR. Banning it outright would be a gross overreaction.

And this doesn't belong in SC, either, BTW.

Where does it belong?

As for outright banning, not that I'm advocating it, but in light of the recent barrage of deaths something has to be addressed. BTW, I'm not agry and emotional on this, just looking for opinions. I realize it is a sensitive subject tho.

Where does it belong?

S&T? Swooping and canopy control?

There are actual skydiving forums on this site you know.

No shit?!!! Imagine that. :o Hey, I innocently posted it here, just asking a question and I get angry folks, not feelin any love here :$. I know it's a sensitive issue.

There are actual skydiving forums on this site you know.

What are these other forums you speak of? :):P

I voted no. I don't mean to belittle the significance of death in this sport, but the kneejerk reactions that many people may have is not the answer.

Most deaths in this sport are still related to individuals hitting the ground under canopy all by themselves. Given that, no one has gone off the deep end on low turns have they?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

What are these other forums you speak of?

I dunno, I'm just working from runour and hearsay:P

But I say no too. Segregated landing areas may well be something for a lot of DZ's to look at, but not banning big turns all together.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I don't swoop and never will. I'm too old, too fat, got a bad knee, and I'm a klutz, BUT my limitations are not there to limit others.

There has to be away for all skydiving activities to live together.

It is not up to us non-swoopers to tell swoopers they can't swoop any more. That would swoopid. :P
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I don't swoop and never will. I'm too old, too fat, got a bad knee, and I'm a klutz, BUT my limitations are not there to limit others.

It is not up to us non-swoopers to tell swoopers they can't swoop any more. That would swoopid. :P

I hate restrictions too, so if I had my druthers, I'd rather have a 90mph speed limit, as that's how I drive anyway. But rules have to be made for the least capable of our society, so they drag it down to 75,65, etc... Should DZ's be the same way? Slow fliers are getting nailed by swoopers, usually 270ers, so should we eliminate them or segregate them as with faster auto traffic move left?

I can see both sides, so I'm just throwing this out there. I see a couple banners joined in the masses of no-banners. I wonder what a broad USPA vote of the 33k members would say? I wonder if teh USPA is mulling this issue over?

I hate restrictions too, so if I had my druthers, I'd rather have a 90mph speed limit, as that's how I drive anyway. But rules have to be made for the least capable of our society, so they drag it down to 75,65, etc... Should DZ's be the same way? Slow fliers are getting nailed by swoopers, usually 270ers, so should we eliminate them or segregate them as with faster auto traffic move left?

I can see both sides, so I'm just throwing this out there. I see a couple banners joined in the masses of no-banners. I wonder what a broad USPA vote of the 33k members would say? I wonder if teh USPA is mulling this issue over?

There has to be a way for us all to live together. If we have not found it yet, it just means we have to keep looking.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

No!
Bill beat me to it!

Nope. Allow them, just not in the main area with canopies flying a normal pattern.

Especially in the middle of a crowded main event such as a boogie! Where so many lives are at stake!
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

Why do people have this retarded idea that the degree of turn causes a problem or that less than a 270 is "safe"?

180's are more dangerous in trafic than a 270.

The problem is hook turns done improperly in traffic. Period.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

All I hear is mostly a bunch of inactivists arguing that hook turns be allowed, after all, it is the canopy pilots fault if he makes himself dead righ?

Then you have the hard right that want to ban high performance landings to seperate landing areas.

Too many have come to accept that death is a part of this sport when it does not have to be. I have had more than enough, like many others who have buried a few friends.

I am all for segregated landing areas. Maybe we need to look at exit order in regards to canopy size/landing manuvers.............

That's not a very good comparison, speed limits have little to do with safety (save Montana), they have everything to do with money. "Our" rules are fundamentally driven by a different set of priorities.

Having said that, I understand what you mean. However, I think that this is an issue which really needs to reside with each DZ. A blanket solution from USPA will not help the skydiving community as a whole.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!