unformed

Did God put dinosaur fossils on Earth to confuse scientists?

>The biggest difference is that science is about evidence, not about beliefs.

Right. And one of the biggest mistakes people make is trying to mix the two.

TRue, but at the end of teh day, science is still a theory, which makes it a sort of belief. I do like that about science tho, even when they have plenty to call things fact, they carefully call them theories.

Religion is for explaining internal realities and experiences, not as a substitute for science.

When ancient people taught their children to, for example, heat flint under a fire before making arrowheads, they did so for outwardly demonstrable, objective, and practical reasons, and not because "God said we must do this!"

That is because, for longer than we have historical record, ancient people knew how to 'do' fire. When they didn't know how things worked they invoked religion. That is, in a very large part, what it was for.

Then, whenever people discovered how things actually worked religion had to give up some ground, rarely without a fight. You can see it happening out there even today with "I don't get how evolution works so I believe in creation", "I don't get how the universe got here so I believe in God".

BTW, what is spiritual knowledge? Where do you apply spiritual knowledge? What does it do and why should I not judge it to be inferior to actual knowledge?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You mean other dinosaurs put the dead dinosaur bones there? :o

just one, his name was Elmer

F=d(mv)/dt

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>The biggest difference is that science is about evidence, not about beliefs.

Right. And one of the biggest mistakes people make is trying to mix the two.

TRue, but at the end of teh day, science is still a theory, which makes it a sort of belief. I do like that about science tho, even when they have plenty to call things fact, they carefully call them theories.

Yes, you are correct. However, "theory" has more than one definition. It's meaning in common use, where it is used to describe a guess or hunch, is much different than the meaning in the scientic community where a theory is a hypothosis that has withstood tests and trials to disprove it. Since a basic rule of science is that nothing can be proven, only disproved, a theory is about as close to being proven as you can get.

Religions always fall back on the idea that since science can't disprove God then He has to be real. Can't disprove the FSM either. Or Nessie.

Why can't there be dinosaurs and a creator? Where does it come from that one invalidates the other?
but yeah, maybe god got bored and decided to sprinkle some fossils around to confuse all the people he told they didn't exist. There's the story that the dinosaurs all died in the flood, along with all the other creatures people were breeding recreationally in Noah's time which should answer on the Christian side at least what the deal is with dinosaurs.

There's the story that the dinosaurs all died in the flood, along with all the other creatures people were breeding recreationally in Noah's time which should answer on the Christian side at least what the deal is with dinosaurs.

Actually the flood can't answer anything for the christian side. The flood never happened.

>Actually the flood can't answer anything for the christian side. The flood never happened.

It's quite likely that something like the flood DID happen, about 7000 years ago. It occurred when the Mediterranean breached the rim of the Black Sea (at that point a lake below sea level by about 300 feet.) The flood covered some 60,000 square miles. Add some rain and you have a deluge that flooded the whole world (at least from the point of view of someone in it!)

>Actually the flood can't answer anything for the christian side. The flood never happened.

It's quite likely that something like the flood DID happen, about 7000 years ago. It occurred when the Mediterranean breached the rim of the Black Sea (at that point a lake below sea level by about 300 feet.) The flood covered some 60,000 square miles. Add some rain and you have a deluge that flooded the whole world (at least from the point of view of someone in it!)

I am well aware of that.

Lets put it this way - a global flood that can explain the extinction of the dinosaurs and occured within the last 5k years....... never happened.

no, God put the ALIENS flying UFOs there to confuse us.

The ALIENS put the dinosaur bones there to confuse us too.

It's all just a big sick joke to fuck with our heads.

(God put Saran Wrap on my toilet seat this morning too....)

TK

There's the story that the dinosaurs all died in the flood, along with all the other creatures people were breeding recreationally in Noah's time which should answer on the Christian side at least what the deal is with dinosaurs.

Actually the flood can't answer anything for the christian side. The flood never happened.

Said by someone who, like everyone else has proof?:ph34r:

But back to what I said. If you are Christian and you believe in the flood, question is answered.

How does that explain the absence of plesiosaurs, labyrinthodons, icthyosaurs, mosasaurs and the rest of the aquatic dinosaurs?

they drowned of course :P

c'mon, dont poke holes in peoples faith!! they might actually have to think for themselves...

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

>Why yes, actually, I do. It's called geology.

Right, but that's the older book-based "factinista" way of doing things. Nowadays, smart people go straight from the gut. That's where the truth lies, right down here in the gut. Do you know you have more nerve endings in your gut than you have in your head? You can look it up. I know some of you are going to say "I did look it up, and that's not true." That's because you looked it up in a book. Next time, look it up in your gut. I did. Your gut will tell you all you need to know about this "geology" nonsense.

(with apologies to Stephen C)

But back to what I said. If you are Christian and you believe in the flood, question is answered.

But its a non answer. There is absolutely no evidence supporting a global flood 5K years ago.

Invoking the flood has no more real explanatory power than saying dinosaur fossils were put there as a hoax by God.

Said by someone who, like everyone else has proof?[Sly]

Why yes, actually, I do. It's called geology;)

Do explain ;)

and I don't want a definition of "Geology".

How does it prove there was no flood?

and not to rag on the bible either, but assuming there was a flood (or a series of floods for whatever reason) that covered a large portion of land without covering the entire planet, which could have been given credit for being "The Flood" how could Geology know which one to exclude as not having taken place when floods have been known to happen quite frequently in certain parts of the world? (Atlantis?) (honestly interested)

and not to rag on the bible either, but assuming there was a flood (or a series of floods for whatever reason) that covered a large portion of land without covering the entire planet, which could have been given credit for being "The Flood" how could Geology know which one to exclude as not having taken place when floods have been known to happen quite frequently in certain parts of the world? (Atlantis?) (honestly interested)

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. There most likely was A flood in the near east (as Billvon pointed out), probably caused by a volcano or earthquake in the Mediterrenean. What there was not is The flood, a worldwide extinction causing event roughly 5000 yrs ago.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. There most likely was A flood in the near east (as Billvon pointed out), probably caused by a volcano or earthquake in the Mediterrenean. What there was not is The flood, a worldwide extinction causing event roughly 5000 yrs ago.

I get that, but I'd still like to know how someone thinks Geology supports their belief that "A flood"/"The flood" never happened, since I've never heard of "Geology" disproving it.

I get that, but I'd still like to know how someone thinks Geology supports their belief that "A flood"/"The flood" never happened, since I've never heard of "Geology" disproving it.

Depends what kind of flood you mean I guess. You could say that that God miraculously made the water appear and disappear from nowhere whilst not disturbing the apparent geological column that stretches back hundreds of millions of years. If you say that, then no Geology can't disprove the flood - neither can it disprove the idea that the earth was made last tuesday (not every tuesday, just last tuesday).

If you mean a flood that involved any form of physical processes, then we just don't see it.

We had some huge floods here in the PAcific Northwest known as the Missoula or Bretz Floods.

There is actually geological evidence for them when the massive Ice dams repeatedly formed... stopped the flow of tributaries of the Columbia River and formed a huge lake. When the Ice dams broke the outflow of water was massive and washed away the topsoils and huge layers of Columbia River Basalt flows in places due to the force of the water. In this case there IS GEOLOGIC evidence of them in the valley all around Missoula in wave cut terraces and the Channeld Scablands of Easter Washington. I am sure to the tribes of first nations peoples in the area at the time they were certainly huge extinction events for them on the local scale... BUT if there was a WORLD Wide flood there is ZERO evidence for that in the geologic record.. no wave cut terraces.... no outwash.. no nothing..BUT to a goatsherd in the valley that is now the Black Sea... I am sure the deluge was quite spectacular.. as was the Bretz Floods here. Now if some would like to take the 5-9,000 thousand year old myths the indians have.. or the the writings of the goatherds as scentific fact for a worldwide flood.. then massive delusion is coming into play.. and the people who support it are not looking at one hell of a lot of evidence worldwide to dispute the jewish book of fables in scientific texts.

>but I'd still like to know how someone thinks Geology supports their belief
>that "A flood"/"The flood" never happened . . .

Ice cores from Antarctica would have shown such a flood quite clearly, but instead they show hundreds of thousands of years of snowfall packed down into ice layers miles deep - and that ice goes all the way down to the rock beneath.

Genesis Chapter One:

24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth [including dinosaurs] after his kind: and it was so.

25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind [including dinosaurs], and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

and no, I'm not an idiot. Just sayin...

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why