Sutton

A cashless world!?

"Verboten" spending could get sticky.

where exactly would you swipe your card at the titty bar?

A magnetic strip in the ass crack?

what if you're a breast-man?

Tell her to push her boobies together then slide the card down her cleavage.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Regarding Titty Bars:

When you go to the titty bar, you'll swipe your card, pay for your INCREDIBLY expensive beer or watered-down beverage, and purchase your requisite number of "tittybucks (tm)." Kinda like Monopoly money.

Then, at the end of the night, the girls would trade them in for an electronic credit to their account, and the tittybucks would be readied for the next night's, uh, commerce.

I suppose you'd have to throw them out after so many "uses" though... damn, and you thought real money was dirty?

Elvisio "TITTYBUCKS(TM)" Rodriguez

>Do you really thing that a "realistic paper backup" would prevent a
>meltdown in the US economy after an EMP?

Yes. Our economy worked that way in the 1940's, and it worked just fine. It would surely not be as rapid - you wouldn't be able to sell $60,000 worth of stock and have the money within 90 seconds - but would work to support an economy.

>Hardening the systems might help, but have you any realistic expectations
>that the investment in hardening will happen? Don't think the stock market
>would crash, perhaps fall more than it did yesterday for comparatively little
>reason compared to an EMP?

No, I don't really expect that to happen. It _can_ happen but we won't really care to do it until after it happens.

Disaster Recovery is big business and alot of scenarios have been played out and planned for. The plans aren't widely discussed in the media and blogs just for the sake of security. However, you can pick up a few articles on the web and attend conferences to hear the latest.

There will be more of a push for a paperless society, including dollars. However, until certain issues are resolved you won't see it happen fully. When my bank account was stolen I had to live off the cash in my wallet for 6 days before the issue was resolved. I'm also sure I'm not the only one to have a company charge you three times for one item which in turns overdraws your account.

I've personally resolved the security issue on my own - I own one of those rechargable debit cards that I use to purchase items off the web or while traveling. It's costs me a bit more every year but I figure my piece of mind is worth it.

Also, there will be many "big brother" claims if a cashless society becomes a major hot topic.

There are some nice things about going cashless: Never having to worry about being mugged, you can't lose $50 on the train when it falls out of your pocket, you don't have to worry about purchasing foreign currency when you travel, etc

Here is a question for you thou: Does the percevied value of the dollar change once it's a thing of the past? Think about it, The dollar is a physical representation of some worth.....if you never see it and its 100% virutal, what is the psycological impact?

>Does the percevied value of the dollar change once it's a thing of the past?

I think we can already answer that question. Most people never see most of their money. My money is direct deposited into a bank account, and the mortgage is paid electronically as well - and that accounts for most of my income. I see a few $20's when I need money for paying packers, buying beer at the end of the day etc. Bigger purchases are credit or debit card. I never physically possess most of the money that "flows through" my life.

If those $20's went away it wouldn't change my life much. It would be harder to pay packers, but maybe they would take checks (or be able to swipe a card.)

If those $20's went away it wouldn't change my life much. It would be harder to pay packers, but maybe they would take checks (or be able to swipe a card.)

But the packers wouldn't like it very much. Documented funds transfer would quickly translate to taxation.

I never physically possess most of the money that "flows through" my life.

Recently I've been paying with more cash. With the increasing occurrences of credit and debit card fraud and identity theft happening left, right and center here (including theft through the land title offices), I find myself wanting to reduce my electronic vunerability to these organized crime rings.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Recently I've been paying with more cash. With the increasing occurrences of credit and debit card fraud and identity theft happening left, right and center here (including theft through the land title offices), I find myself wanting to reduce my electronic vunerability to these organized crime rings.

credit cards are protected, unlike debit cards and cash. If you truly want to limit your exposure, I would suggest using credit cards more and less of cash and debit.

credit cards are protected, unlike debit cards and cash. If you truly want to limit your exposure, I would suggest using credit cards more and less of cash and debit.

It depends on your bank. My debit card is protected from fraud and is one of the main reasons I choose that bank. I never use my credit cards and long ago shredded them. They exist to keep an open line of credit to inflate my score. What you can't do with most debit/check cards is stop payment like you can on a real check or credit card.

As I said before, I picked up a rechargable debit card that isn't linked to any account and has less information on it (plus uses a secondary address which isn't my perm addy). This is a good way to shield your primary banking account.

They aren't that protected. Ever try contesting a charge where the merchant didn't deliver? Chase was less than helpful in a fraud case for me. But if you have faith in this right, yes, it makes sense to use credit cards for item purchases. But for food, meals, movie tickets and the like, nothing gained.

And there's no question that if you spend a $20 at one vendor, that he, his employees, or some data thief there can use this information to steal any other $20s you possess.

credit cards are protected, unlike debit cards and cash.

Federal law limits maximum liability for unauthorized debit card use to $50 if reported within two business days or $500 if not. Banks are free to provide better coverage; when some schmuck stole one of our card numbers Wells Fargo waived the charges (and presumably charged back the merchant).

Federal law limits maximum liability for unauthorized credit card use to $50 period.

Both have the potential to provide single-use account numbers which can't be stolen and reused by restaurant delivery order takers.

A cashless world would be a great method of control for the government to use. When it comes time to declare Martial Law and put the general population in prison camps, all the gov has to do is freeze all electronic means of transferring money. At that point, everyone would be in a bind...UNLESS..you of course had gold...BUT gov is clever..they declared it illegal for people to own gold...If people had gold, that would be BAD for the gov cause gold never loses it value, and gov wouldnt be able to control it.

Ready for the blue pill??

gold never loses it value

Yes, it's written in the Constitution that gold never loses value. Or was it in the Bible. Hell, everybody knows that gold never loses value, it's in textbooks everywhere. Right?
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

..they declared it illegal for people to own gold.

Watchu talking about,Willis??!! There was just a recent rash of cheezy gold coin commercials trying to push gold. Personally, if you like commodities, you should go for zinc lead or copper, even grain. Those are much more valuable to China.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Thank God I live in Canada then.

No signature, no payment, no charge

Someone stole my brother's credit card number from the internet...then they created a fake card....then they went to a store and purchased something....Visa fought him on this for some time because there was an imprint of the card and a signature.....luckily he was able to prove he wasn't in that state when the purchase was made but it took nearly a year to resolve the issue.

gold never loses it value

Yes, it's written in the Constitution that gold never loses value. Or was it in the Bible. Hell, everybody knows that gold never loses value, it's in textbooks everywhere. Right?

Gold is on quite a run right now. But if you had bought it in 1980, you'd still be underwater.

Watchu talking about,Willis??!! There was just a recent rash of cheezy gold coin commercials trying to push gold. Personally, if you like commodities, you should go for zinc lead or copper, even grain. Those are much more valuable to China.

During the depression the US Government (FDR) made it illegal to own gold. EO 6102 in 1933 (I think) it became illegal to stockpile gold.

The price of gold when you turned it in was about 20.00. Once the gold was turned in the Gov raised the price of gold to 35.00 and it remained that way until Nixon took the US off the gold standard.

Edit to add EO 6102:

Presidential Executive Order 6102:

I, Franklin D. Roosevelt, President of the United States of America, do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and pursuant to said section to do hereby prohibit the hoarding gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates within the continental United States by individuals, partnerships, associations and corporations and hereby prescribe the following regulations for carrying out the purposes of the order:

Someone stole my brother's credit card number from the internet...then they created a fake card....then they went to a store and purchased something....Visa fought him on this for some time because there was an imprint of the card and a signature.....luckily he was able to prove he wasn't in that state when the purchase was made but it took nearly a year to resolve the issue.

And if they had stolen his debit card and PIN number, what are the chances of getting the cash back from the bank?

If they had stolen the same amount of cash from him in bills, what do you think the chances are of him seeing his cash again.

I am not saying that credit cards are perfect. Not saying there are not better ways with significantly more effort. I am saying that (in Canada I guess) between cash, debit and credit, a credit card is the better way to go.

I am not saying that credit cards are perfect. Not saying there are not better ways with significantly more effort. I am saying that (in Canada I guess) between cash, debit and credit, a credit card is the better way to go.

From a theft standpoint, probably so. Even if you do get the money back from your ATM or ATM Visa card, your checking account has been depleted and you may be bouncing checks left and right. With a credit card, the amount in dispute is frozen until resolved.

But in terms of forcing vendors to deliver, they're only soso in value with a paper threat to enforce. And for privacy or prevention of future theft, they're vastly inferior to cash.