bloody_trauma

If you had to...

shoot someone to prevent yourself or someone else becoming someones captive, would you do it?

If the kidnapper has a weapon, yes

edited to add: this is probably going into Speakers Corner ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't understand the requirement that they have a weapon before takin' 'em down.....WTF?

For Pete's sake, Billy! You live in ABALAMA!
Where's that good ole Southern spirit?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yes, because by the very nature of the incident if I was in enough fear of my safety to feel the need to 'comply' with the captors demands then I would also be justified and authorised to use such force that is neccesary in the circumsatnces to prevent the apprehension of unlawful violence (or something like that)

If I didn't feel in any fear I wouldn't allow someone to take me hostage and therefore wouldn't need to shoot someone

a good shot to the foot or shoulder region would be just fine with me.

Shooting doesn't mean you have to kill the person.

I personally think to not aim centre mass at a target in any circumstance is foolish. You either use lethal force (a gun) or you don't. Also as most guns used for defence would use hollow tip rounds (Correct me if I am wrong) the damage caused to the individual would be substantial.

To potentially harm someone else because you thought you could make the shot is not clever and I believe you should have the book thrown at you. You either fear immediate violence or you dont. But thats where US & UK laws will differ and therefore my outlook

you know when i was in iraq i used to run scenarios in my head, like if i was kidnapped what i would do to escape, i often thought in jest of keeping my pistol tucked in my aid bag and when the captors came i would pronounce i was a "diktor" and when the appropriate moment came i would pull my pistol from my aid bag and pop a cap in that haji ass. id say i would definitely shoot someone that was tring to take me captive.
Fly it like you stole it

so that brings me to my next question, concealed carry.. useful or frivolous? i personally am planning on obtaining a permit to carry, and intend to carry, i seem to have the phiosofy that if i am trained to use a tool then i ought to use it to my full advantage just as i do my medical skills, i know that sounds absurd for a medical provider to talk in such a manner, but seriously, if you are trained to use a tool skillfully then why not?
Fly it like you stole it

I think if you consider the sort of shit that happens in Iraq with personnel and contractors you'd be perfectly justified to start shooting any fucker who tried to lead you away from what you're trying to do.

In the UK its basically down to whether 12 people (the jury) would have considered your actions reasonable if they were in the same circumstances. Its good and its fair and nowadays, it generally leans more towards the side of the defendent as the public are fed up with people getting away with things :D

shoot someone to prevent yourself or someone else from becoming someones captive, would you do it?

(Yep.. SC Bound, Never to be seen by me again as there are some places that are just too sleazy for even me to visit!)

Absofuckinlootly!!!
Empty the Clip and then throw the spent gun at the corpse for good measure.

Someone trying to take me captive (Against my will) clearly tends to do me harm. This whole "Just try to wound them and/or disable them" is crap. Stop them and make sure that there is no way they can ever possibly do it again. Remove them from the gene pool completely and throughly as possible.

I think concealed carry is a good thing. Its an interesting topic and I think it can promote good responsible ownership and control, reducing fear of crime and providing an effective response to threat.

Interesting part I've often wondered, as a medic (or whatever your trade is) would you then be obliged to assist in the initial medical care of the wounded. All police authorised firearms officers are medics for that reason as well as treating colleagues. I personally would treat someone if I had shot them. For a starter if you can professional defend yourself and calmly treat them as best you can it shows that you have done everything that was possible to prevent loss of life. That would be worth a bundle in court. To shoot someone and walk away if there is then no other danger is wrong and again, I'd suggest they need to have their permit reconsidered very carefully and possibly any suitable charges raised

This thread is still in BONFIRE????

The greenies must be having a foam party...B|

Oh... come on. It's only been 30 min. They might be all powerful... but give them time for a potty break! :P

On topic though... I have to agree with Scoop. I would have a hard time not treating them after I shot them. But that wouldn't really be wise either cuz what if he/she had friends around....

I have to agree with Scoop. I would have a hard time not treating them after I shot them. But that wouldn't really be wise either cuz what if he/she had friends around....

Oh yeah definately, risk assess whats going on around you and make a decision but I couldn't watch someone potentially die in front of me without having tried to help, or at least BE SEEN to try to help if the situation allowed it

yeah, even in iraq its that way and for good reason, on 2 seperate occasions i had wounded a combatant and then promptly moved to them with a fire tema to treat thier wounds, its not a question of wether or not i want him to die, its part of my ethics as a healthcare provider, which is kinda odd, im not a doctor so i dont do the hippocratic oath, no do no harm, but essentially thats how it is, stop the other guy from doing you harm and them patch em up. so it all comes down to them being a human being. it makes no diff to me what race or nationality they are, our blood is all red and we bleed just like they do. im just more compassionate than they are.

and yeah i can see this going to SC now ut thats not what i intended, i wanted to make it a poll but couldnt figure out how. but this is supposed to be just to get some feelers out on the issue. sorry if i sparked some heated debates
Fly it like you stole it