Female US Astronaut Arrested, Charged with Attempted Kidnapping

This is all over the news here in Central FL. They were about to let her out on the attempted kidnapping charges and then they added attempted murder charges to the list. She just got out, has a GPS bracelet and had 2 NASA guys at the jail all day working on her behalf.

edit: and a NASA jet is going to take her back home. Our tax dollars hard at work. :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Perhaps she lied when they asked her whether she would ever consider driving across the country wearing a diaper to kidnap her lover's girlfriend.

Good point. I know I always tick the "No" box for that question on every questionnaire I answer.

For some reason I don't think this woman is into gangbangs. :P

A few RBV's and they're ALL into gangbangs....:o

I'm going to guess that after a few RBV's she will kill everyone who looks at anyone she thinks she has feelings for.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Perhaps she lied when they asked her whether she would ever consider driving across the country wearing a diaper to kidnap her lover's girlfriend.

Good point. I know I always tick the "No" box for that question on every questionnaire I answer.

How boring!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's just a wild guess but I'd estimate that most of us don't don't go tooling up for kidnap and murder, and implement the plan with such determination at the urging of our hormones. It's just staggering to put this down to that . . .

Remember I didn't say I excused it . . . I said I understood it.

There is a very fine line between a hopeless romantic, a stalker and a "fatal attraction". If you don't understand that, then I dare say you don't understand much about human nature.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Went to grad school with her. Even back then (91-92) you knew she was pointing to the astronaut program. Very, very intelligent. She was a pilot and her husband was an NFO. Use to wear very Laura Ashleyesque clothes; high collars and low hemlines. Would have never thought her capable of this. Several of our other classmates, definitely, but not her.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

In space station is big problem:
And that problem jealous beetch.
Carry mace and big steel mallet,
Don't change diapers for a week.

Throw the beetch out the airlock,
And space station will be free,
Then we all can get butt naked,
And screw in zero gravity."

--Sorry, Borat.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

She drove 1000 miles to confront a lady of being interested/sleeping with a man that isn't even her own lover or husband (yeah...shes married). Look in the dictionary- thats the definition of PSYCHO.

Hmmm... a woman who shows a little commitment in her relationship and everyone bad-mouths her. :)

>someone has gone from the pinnacle of human achivement . . .

Don't know if I'd describe astronauts that way. Very high cool factor. But in terms of what they achieved - I can think of a lot of people who have done more.

Granted.

They're an rare group w.r.t. getting selected, and they take a significant risk each flight.

Ultimately what they actually do is the pinnacle (holy shit simians in space). I'm not necessarily talking about a unique irreplacable contribution that people aren't lining up to do.

It's just a wild guess but I'd estimate that most of us don't don't go tooling up for kidnap and murder, and implement the plan with such determination at the urging of our hormones. It's just staggering to put this down to that . . .

Remember I didn't say I excused it . . . I said I understood it.

There is a very fine line between a hopeless romantic, a stalker and a "fatal attraction". If you don't understand that, then I dare say you don't understand much about human nature.

The phrase fine line is generally used to describe a boundary between two close items or states of mind in your example. It is not a metaphorical pathway that stretches across from one extreme state through a second to a third.

Setting out tooled up on a mission of kidnap and murder is not anywhere near any fine line, unless that fine line is the fine line between murdering psycho bitch from hell and murdering insane deranged bitch from hell.

Understanding some motivation does not mean you can understand the cold blooded and pathological disregard for the intended victim throughout the premeditation and attempted execution of the crime.

The funniest part of all this? They gave her bail with the ankle bracelet and sent her home.

Can you imagine if a guy had all that gear and stalked someone all the way from another state? "No bail for you!"
:S

Of course, this is the state famous for letting a teacher skip jail because she was "too pretty to go to jail".
We're used to it.
:S

> edit: and a NASA jet is going to take her back home. Our tax dollars hard at work.

Well that is interesting that NASA would make arrangements to bring her home. I'm sure it's to do some internal investigation with possible dismissle, but I want begin to speak for NASA.

I've meet this astronaut on several occasion while working at the Neutral Buoyancy Lab in Houston. On one such meeting it was pulling her through the water in her Assured Crew Escape Suit (Pumkin Suit) simulating a parachute drag through the water. Bailout Training refresher is performed by every crew prior to launch.

Don't know her all that well eccept that she is a mother of twin girls which I believe are around the ages of 4 and a son I think. Not sure of her relationship with her husband, but I'm sure he has far more questions than any of us here.

I'ts a sad time, not to mention News NASA could do without.

You get a new word of the day calendar, thesaurus or somethin'?

I don't remember you writing this way previously.

In the immortal words of St. Hubbins, "It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Or maybe you just weren't paying attention.

This case really saddens me, someone has gone from the pinnacle of human achivement to less than zero and the bell tolls for us all, but it's a damned good thing that she was thwarted and caught.

There's a sober reminder for us all about the human condition in this tale.

I agree wholeheartedly. This is a sad, sad, story. Her whole life is now in utter ruins, but it's a good thing she failed, otherwise the story would have been sadder still.

I usually feel Schauenfreude whenever I see Hollyweird phonies getting busted (as always: "I can't stand to see the rich and famous suffer!"), but this is far different. I take no ill glee at this woman's undoing. It says a lot about us as a society and as supposedly rational beings.

I was chatting about this last night at the bar with a former PsyOps guy. His opinion is that some of it is the Michael Jackson or Elvis syndrome. It's in plain sight, but people refuse to believe it. Couldn't be her: Her career represented the epitome of reason. This is now in stark contrast to a total lapse of reason.

I'll bet psychiatrists and psychologists are going to be jumping all over this.

Edit to add: Nowak is a commissioned Naval officer, so she will likely be charged under UCMJ and face a court-martial in addition to the charges she must answer for that have been filed against her by the state of Florida. In other words, her sh** is twice ragged.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Reports are that she drove a Ford Galaxy to Florida going ludicrous speed.

Talk about a Warp Factor! :S

mh

Couldn't be her: Her career represented the epitome of reason.

I tend to think of that type of career requiring a certain workaholic/overachiever mentality. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I would imagine that such a mentality could take a toll on one's personal life.

It is a sad story, but we hear this sort of stuff all the time. The fact that she is an astronaut doesn't make it any more shocking or sad to me. She's just a human like the rest of us, and humans do some crazy shit sometimes.

I'm sure it's to do some internal investigation with possible dismissle, but I want begin to speak for NASA.

Nicely done. :D Astronaut.... disMISSLE...LOL

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Addendum:

NASA’s behavioral guidelines align with standard government rules. Active U.S. military personnel, meanwhile, are subject tothe Uniform Military Code of Justice, which governs fraternization, conduct becoming an officer, and other regulations.

mh