freeflir29

Yeah........America is so bad in Iraq......

Great Story.
I know so many people my self included who fled war for the fear of death to come to the US.
Most of the ones I know have made good lives for themselves, and have received a lot of hospitality from the American people.
No Question that this is a great country and this story is one of the many examples as to why.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Yes. The US supported the muja's along with Osama fighting off the Soviet invasion in the 80s. You would have preferred we support the Soviets?

I wonder how many other the enemy of my enemy is my friend thing is going to come back to bite us in the ass again...

Some of the assbites in power in Iraq right now.. come to mind.

:S ... wasn't the American military who trained Osama Bin Laden??? ....

Yes. The US supported the muja's along with Osama fighting off the Soviet invasion in the 80s. You would have preferred we support the Soviets?

That's correct, but not accurate. The Americans never directly provided materiel support to the mujahideen in Afghanistan. Saudi and Pakistani intelligence were the direct contacts.

In interviews with OBL, even he says he did not recall working directly with any Americans while he was fighting the Soviets.

edit to add: The original story is quite cool. I'm trying to imagine what it was like, New York City to Fardo, ND!!
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

If only a few more like this guy would sign up for the IRAQI army.

Actually the Iraqi army has countless people like this, there are quite a few great and dedicated soldiers in the Iraqi army, especially up north where the majority of them are former Peshmerga, I'll roll with those guys any day. The majority of Kurds seem to have a similar attitude, they want to do their part to help make a difference, I love the Kurds;)

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I love the Kurds

Things were REALLY tense the other day but in general we tend to get along with them very well. I have to say.........out of all the people in the Middle East I have met the Kurds are certainly the best. They are the only ones that seem to have any sense. :S

I love the Kurds

Things were REALLY tense the other day but in general we tend to get along with them very well. I have to say.........out of all the people in the Middle East I have met the Kurds are certainly the best. They are the only ones that seem to have any sense. :S

My son said the most violence he saw in Iraq was from the Kurds...

When his unit played the local team at soccer:D

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yes they are VERY SERIOUS about "futball".

If we hadn't restrained them, as we still are, there would be an independent Kurdistan right now. Then of course the violence would probably be directed there and the current discussion would not be happening.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Well, per Bush, that's one of the problems Iraq has - they're not grateful enough for our liberating them. From a recent interview:

"I think, I think I'm proud of the efforts we did. Uh, we liberated that country from a tyrant. Uh, I think the Iraqi people owe the, the American people a huge debt of gratitude. That's the problem, here in America. They wonder whether or not there is a gratitude level that's significant enough in Iraq."

That even Iraqis are signing up for service in the US Army. ;)

Is the proper measure of the morality of one side of a conflict how comfortable it is to be on that side?

If so, then the Mafia is a great organization because they pay well.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Maybe you should apply for a job then.:D

Not interested. See, that's not my logic -- it's the logic of anyone who thinks that iraqis wanting to join the US army is evidence of the goodness of America.

I use morality to decide what I do -- not comfort. That's alien to a lot of you, but it's what I learned as a child and I still believe it's the right way.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I use morality to decide what I do -- not comfort.

Is that MORALITY..... OR the Right Wing version of PSUEDO-MORALITY, where killing hundreds of thousands of people as "colateral damage" is OK, and telling one story about WMD then actually setting up all kinds of laws so your buddies in the oil companies can pillage the resources of that other country for personal benefit.