kallend

Bush's speech

Don't just stand there, WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMEN AND SENATORS

TK

This is the answer... but they seem too lazy to decide on any policy.

That's because the Congress has no authority in determining US policy. Write your Congressman 'till you have carpal tunnel, they do not have authority to determine when/how/why troops are deployed.

Of course, Congress could cut off funding. But I can guarantee that as a soldier now, and as soon as I was out of the Army, I would ensure that people were constantly reminded and never forget those who turned their backs on the troops while deployed in a combat zone. It amounts to cowardice in the wosrt possible way.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

it is true that there is too much apathy in the Congress and Senate - no one wants to cross Bush or the administration. I have had several conversations with my Congresswoman, Ginny Brown-Waite. More than once, she has said "There is nothing I can do...." to whatever issue we are discussing.

I find that amazing. Given that she WRITES THE LAWS of the country, there should be PLENTY that they can do.

I have no idea why they react like that...
TK

TK

That's because the Congress has no authority in determining US policy. Write your Congressman 'till you have carpal tunnel, they do not have authority to determine when/how/why troops are deployed.

Of course, Congress could cut off funding. But I can guarantee that as a soldier now, and as soon as I was out of the Army, I would ensure that people were constantly reminded and never forget those who turned their backs on the troops while deployed in a combat zone. It amounts to cowardice in the wosrt possible way.

If Congress had another constitutionally-provided device for providing the check and balance, you might be right. But it doesn’t. It has only the power of the purse.

The real cowardice is Bush sending more troops in harm’s way, not to salvage the mission, because it’s un-salvageable, but to try to salvage his own ass by maintaining the awful status quo so it can be dumped into the lap of the NEXT President, thereby sparing Bush – in his own mind – of the label as the president who “lost Iraq”. So he effectively sets Congress up to do the only concrete thing they can do (aside from impeaching him), which is to control funding, knowing fully well that there will be a cadre’ of people who will reflexively accuse not him, but Congress of “turning their backs” on the troops. I don’t buy it, and I regret that there are those who do. It is the current President of the United States who’s being the coward, not the Congress.

it is true that there is too much apathy in the Congress and Senate - no one wants to cross Bush or the administration. I have had several conversations with my Congresswoman, Ginny Brown-Waite. More than once, she has said "There is nothing I can do...." to whatever issue we are discussing.

No one wants to cross the pit of vipers in this administration.. they are well known for treating those who go against them badly... you truely better be with them because they will make you pay for being against them... Its a worse form of paranoia than even Nixon had.

And on the subject of the speech.. everytime that man appears on television... I am ashamed that our country has produced ...and elected a politician of his caliber.[:/]

Where mistakes have been made, the responsibility lies with me -- Bush

What clever phrasing! While superficially looking like an acknowledgement, the child hides behind twisted phrasing to preserve his deniability.

It's just like:

The window got broken

and

The cookies got eaten

What a coward.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Well?

Seems like he's only interested in reinforcing the fact that he doesn't like taking advice that runs contrary to his previously stated position, even if it has broad military and public support. I think he sees it as a sign of weakness. Hell, he even completely ignored his own (biological) father's advice. It looked to me like that the ISG's suggestions came out and he said "I can't do that, I have to stay the course and appear as a strong leader, regardless of what my Generals tell me. They can be replaced by people who will publically state that they agree with me. I'll find a yes man even if I have to hire Col Sanders to run the show. Besides, my career's looking pretty lousy. Maybe I can make the Democrats look bad by forcing them to threaten the purse strings. Turdblossom will be able to work with that in 2008".

Let's see, some political speech which will be discussed ad nauseum for the next week anyway....

or

Scrubs reruns

That's my new favorite sit com. Maybe of all time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

TK

Nobodys saying harm the troops (cept your fearless leader). Bring em home and let the fuckers fight it out themselves like we should have to start w/. Where is osama by the way? Sitting in a cave laughing his ass off more than likley
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Let's see, some political speech which will be discussed ad nauseum for the next week anyway....

or

Scrubs reruns

That's my new favorite sit com. Maybe of all time.

I love "Scrubs". And I'll even admit publically that I like "my name is Earl"! But since we're on this honesty kick....I didn't actually watch the speech. I'm still going through the James Bond box set that I got for Christmas.

Well?

I think he has no credibility left.

The man is fucking moron, but what else is new. Waht the hell is 21,000 troops going to do? You either put 500,000 in there, get the job done, or get the hell out of there. The number of troops proposed is a joke, and it wont make much difference. Someone please take a legally owned machine gun and shoot this man!
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

I am with you on that 110%. That's why I say either bring in the number of tropps that will actually make a diffenece, and or own up to your mistakes and get the fuck out. 21,000 troops aint gonna cut it. That's not a significant number...the number is a joke.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

TK

This is the answer... but they seem too lazy to decide on any policy. When I took my nephew to DC this past summer, we went to a Senate vote. Very dissappointed with how many were present.

I truly believe that the Presidental Position (whether it be Bush, or Clinton or whomever) has as much real power as the Queen. (ok... maybe a little more... but it doesnt seem to have much). I think this speech was just trying to help the morale of those either over there now or those soon to be leaving.

But the Queen can speak in complete sentences.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

:D:D

glad to see you've finally taken a position on the guy, your continuous agonizing over it had us a bit worried:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No one wants to cross the pit of vipers in this administration.. they are well known for treating those who go against them badly... you truely better be with them because they will make you pay for being against them... Its a worse form of paranoia than even Nixon had.

Um, yeah... how's Vince Foster and Ron Brown doing these days, anyway?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Um, yeah... how's Vince Foster and Ron Brown doing these days, anyway?

Holy shit, you're right!

I completely forgot that Bill and Hillary had them murdered, and then covered it up expertly. What could I have been thinking?

I completely forgot that Bill and Hillary had them murdered, and then covered it up expertly. What could I have been thinking?

OH NO>>>>We dont want to say anything about Right Wing Conspiracy theories.. or hmmm what was the term the right wing always claims for anthing that does not jibe with their pet falacies...oh yeah.....nutjob theories.

:D:D

glad to see you've finally taken a position on the guy, your continuous agonizing over it had us a bit worried:P

I find more and more people agreeing with me as time passes. I expect you'll come around soon.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If the result of cutting off funding is bringing the troops home (which is, I expect, the desired result), would you still see it as "turning their backs" on the troops?

From the BBC comedy Blackadder:

------------------
General: Now, Field Marshal Hague has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.

Captain Blackadder: Ah, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking very slowly towards the enemy, sir?

Captain Darling: How could you possibly know that Blackadder? It's classified information!

Captain Blackadder: It's the same plan that we used last time, and the seventeen times before that.

General: Exactly! And that is what is so brilliant about it! It will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard. Doing precisely what we've done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time! There is, however, one small problem...

Captain Blackadder: That everyone always gets slaughtered in the first ten seconds?

General: That's right. And Field Marshal Hague is worried that this may be depressing the men a tad. So, he's looking to find a way to cheer them up.

Captain Blackadder: Well, his resignation would seem the obvious.
--------------------