Gawain

Hey U.S. Navy Your Ships Aren't Bumper Cars

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070109/ap_on_re_as/japan_us_submarine

You guys need a safe-ship/sub-driving-class?

Seriously, an attack sub, which can run circles around a super-tanker...I can understand if a tanker doesn't see a smaller vessel, but how the f**k does a sub miss anything?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Seriously, an attack sub, which can run circles around a super-tanker...I can understand if a tanker doesn't see a smaller vessel, but how the f**k does a sub miss anything?

It didn't miss; It's aim was dead-on.;)

Let me explain; 15 years ago subs would surface in a straight-ahead approach. But these days it is much more fun and stylish to crank a hard 270-degree turn while surfacing, and the ship just happened to be in the sub's blind spot.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Let me explain; 15 years ago subs would surface in a straight-ahead approach. But these days it is much more fun and stylish to crank a hard 270-degree turn while surfacing, and the ship just happened to be in the sub's blind spot.[:/]

Maybe, they need side-mirrors!:D It just sems crazy, with all the technology that is out there that this would happen. Hopefully, the sub has good insurance.:D:D Poo-poo happens!

Chuck

:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Subs sometimes like to practice shadowing civilian ships by staying underneath them. The sub can't easily be distinguished on sonar from the surface ship.

Perhaps these collisions are the result of the shadowing being done a little too aggressively.

I wonder if a collision is as scary as what fisherman have encountered when they catch a sub in their nets. Didn't that happen near Bangor many years ago?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Subs sometimes like to practice shadowing civilian ships by staying underneath them. The sub can't easily be distinguished on sonar from the surface ship.

Perhaps these collisions are the result of the shadowing being done a little too aggressively.

I wonder if a collision is as scary as what fisherman have encountered when they catch a sub in their nets. Didn't that happen near Bangor many years ago?

That's what I was thinking. Were they trying to slip thru the Straits of Hormuz undetected and fucked up?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

And just who do you think you are to tell the Navy how to operate the subs that your tax dollars paid for? They'll wreck 'em if the darn well please, and send you the bill! ;)
Besides, that tanker shoulda known better than to be in the same ocean as one of our ships. How dare they!

The sub hit the boat on the bow though. That's what I don't understand. Our subs are gigantic sensors, they'll hear a whale fart 10 miles away, but they can determine the proximity of a boat 1000 times its size sloshing through the water?

Being a sub-driver has got to be hard, no eyes, only instruments, and you're following the orders based on the perceptions of someone else's calculations. It just a huge bummer here. The Navy hasn't been having a very good run these past few years, planes colliding, Chinese subs popping up around them, fishing boats, now this?

Anyway, I'm glad that no one was hurt. I also hope that they don't find some gaping hole in the safety procedures as they review these incidents.
Make light!

Rubbin's Racing!! did'nt you know? :)
Anyways, the report doesn't give anything valuable out regarding the situation. The report doesn't say who's at fault yet. The Strait is too shallow to submerge and only 35 miles wide and heavily traveled. If one ship makes a mistake, there's going to be bumping. No room maneuver. There's been many Navy collisions here.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The sub hit the boat on the bow though. That's what I don't understand. Our subs are gigantic sensors, they'll hear a whale fart 10 miles away, but they can determine the proximity of a boat 1000 times its size sloshing through the water?

Being a sub-driver has got to be hard, no eyes, only instruments, and you're following the orders based on the perceptions of someone else's calculations. It just a huge bummer here. The Navy hasn't been having a very good run these past few years, planes colliding, Chinese subs popping up around them, fishing boats, now this?

Anyway, I'm glad that no one was hurt. I also hope that they don't find some gaping hole in the safety procedures as they review these incidents.

Who's bow are we talking here? >"The bow of the submarine was traveling submerged when it hit the stern of the supertanker". ______________Like I said before it sounds like there were trying to slip in coming from behind and underneath using the supertanker and its noise for cover. And yes I was in the NAVY. Not for long tho. I got smart QUICK;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Who's bow are we talking here? >"The bow of the submarine was traveling submerged when it hit the stern of the supertanker". ______________Like I said before it sounds like there were trying to slip in coming from behind and underneath using the supertanker and its noise for cover. And yes I was in the NAVY. Not for long tho. I got smart QUICK;)

I'm sorry, I'll clarify myself, I mean the bow of the sub. That's just it. Isn't this the most common tactic? They have the noise of the ship, directly in front of them.:|
Make light!