Gawain

Rape Charges Against Duke LaCrosse Players to be Dropped

DA's have no personal stake in anything. Just their job performance, and like most lawyers, they want to win. When they've got the resources of the state on their side, that presents a dangerous spectre.

Do you think shit like this doesn't happen hundreds or thousands of times per day? It does. The issue is that Nifong made it worse because he opened his big mouth early and often.

I'm under no illusions, I'm sure it happens all the time.

Which is just one reason why I am utterly baffled as to why America seems to have a collective hard on for electing every damn one of its civil servants.:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Lawrocket, do you think some of this would happen less if they were not elactable positions?

Perhaps a little less, but not by a significant amount. I see this conduct from assistant DA's.

Just think about what happens when a person is immune from prosecution or malpractice. Whenever a person can't be sued for his or her acts, you will find the person naturally tempted to abuse that power - and it IS power.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

He made his bed, and didn't realize that these activist groups do not support anyone in the long run.

Support or no support, long term or not what he did was wrong. He KNEW this at the time, now it is becoming clearer to everyone that what he did was unethical.

We're in total agreement.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

one would expect the highest level of ethics from someone in that position.

Do you really? You list yourself as a "shyster" which I'll take to mean you're in private practice. That means you understand that you have a reputation to live up to, and understand that word about unethical actions gets around. It's harder to make a living in private practice if you get a bad reputation.

For what reasons would attorneys choose to run for elective office, or get hired as a public defender or prosecutor?

1) They've already made so much money in private practice that they don't have to work any more and want to devote their remaining years to some noble crusade.

2) They haven't yet, or continuously can't make it in private practice. They feel that it is easier to talk the ignorant 51% of the electorate into hiring them by voting than it is to get one smart person running a real business to hire them.

I haven't researched it, but I'll bet that Nifong isn't in group 1.

As long as the job evaluation methods and pay for "public servants" doesn't match up to that which is found in a "for profit" business, we will be at the mercy of public servants who are not the most qualified individuals, and who feel there will be minimal consequences for their actions.

It is nobody but Nifong's fault that he did what he did, but it is the voters' fault that someone like him was in a position to do those things.
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

My personal anecdotes indicate that people become DA's as a stepping stone. They go into it as people who have future ambitions either beyond the DA's office or workign their way up to higher levels of the DA's office. They typically have some degree of ideological bent, but this ideological bent is what leads them to the thought that they would do better if they were in charge.

Public defenders, however, are a different breed. They put their money - or lack thereof - where their mouth is. Most people go from public defender to private criminal practice because of the money and not the other way round. But plenty of PD's end their careers as PD's because they are content doing what they do.

Before I was a lawyer myself I wasn't fond of PD's and I thought DA's were cool. Then I dealt with a couple of DA's and dealt with a couple of PD's, and the difference in their approaches and their arrogance as shocking.

You list yourself as a "shyster" which I'll take to mean you're in private practice.

I'm in private practice, but I list myself as a "shyster" because, well, if I can't laugh at myself, then I lack sufficient humility. Sadly, those with bad reputations do pretty well because people want sharks, not problem solvers. I've figured out that my physical ugliness is bad enough, but I can't look myself in the mirror if I don't think I am doing things correctly.

Even more amazingly, the sharks in town hate themselves. I have developed a close professional relationship with a few of them, and I am heartened that they are now taking steps to go about things in an alternative way. We are learning from each other - they DO have much to teach me.

For what reasons would attorneys choose to run for elective office,

Same as prosecutor - POWER. POWER. POWER. PD? Ideology. And for some, benefits. PD's and junior-level DA's have pretty routine jobs.

2) They haven't yet, or continuously can't make it in private practice. They feel that it is easier to talk the ignorant 51% of the electorate into hiring them by voting than it is to get one smart person running a real business to hire them.

I disagree. They got started in the DA's office and stayed there. I know some ex DA's who left it and entered private practice. They typically do pretty well. And I've never known one who wanted to go back. Either you fit in as a DA or you don't. E

As long as the job evaluation methods and pay for "public servants" doesn't match up to that which is found in a "for profit" business,

DA's do pretty well on base pay. And they get great benefits. Some of the best and brightest are DA's. Which is what is so scary if they aren't firmly ethically grounded.

it is the voters' fault that someone like him was in a position to do those things.

True, but I also think the position tends to corrupt.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

He made his bed, and didn't realize that these activist groups do not support anyone in the long run.

Support or no support, long term or not what he did was wrong. He KNEW this at the time, now it is becoming clearer to everyone that what he did was unethical.

And now ladies and gentlemen: Mike Nifong has been disbarred by the North Carolina State Bar. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070617/ap_on_re_us/duke_lacrosse

Even that is not enough in some perspectives. :S
Make light!

And now ladies and gentlemen: Mike Nifong has been disbarred by the North Carolina State Bar. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070617/ap_on_re_us/duke_lacrosse

Even that is not enough in some perspectives. :S

"...it appears the defendant still believes the facts to be one way and the world now knows that is not the case"

It's a start. First the DA, next the president.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

"...it appears the defendant still believes the facts to be one way and the world now knows that is not the case"

That's a mind-bending attempt at linear thought...but if you want to build a crazy bridge like that...:S
Make light!

And now ladies and gentlemen: Mike Nifong has been disbarred by the North Carolina State Bar.

There is just one more thing that needs to be done now to set this matter right: Prosecute the woman who filed the false rape charges.

And it makes you wonder how many other DA's are out there like this, who hide evidence that would prove suspects innocent...

You know what's really disgusting? I was listening to my normal talk radio station this morning (Sunday) and Jesse Jackson's show was on. (So much for all conservative station, right?) Anyway, the top scumbag race-pimp Jackson was talking about the Nifong situation and said something along the lines of "...Well, Nifong made some mistakes, but those boys were wrong and every black person at Duke should have threatened to leave the school because of their behavior..." What a jackass. Of course, his moron callers all agreed.

So this jerk SUPPOSEDLY fights against injustice for all, but is okay with some white kids getting railroaded because they're white and not poor? If I'd have had time, I would have tried to call in, but I don't think his handlers would have let me through. What a piece of shit.

I'm wondering when all the douchebags who were out in force at Duke protesting and intimidating the kids and their families will gather the balls to apologize.

This case, and any case like it is disgusting. Nifong should be put in prison. I hope he's sued in a civil court since apparently he's immune.
Oh, hello again!

You list yourself as a "shyster" which I'll take to mean you're in private practice.

I'm in private practice, but I list myself as a "shyster" because, well, if I can't laugh at myself, then I lack sufficient humility.

From the Blake Edwards film "S.O.B" (1981):

Polly Reed (Loretta Swit): You're gonna let that SHYSTER on?
Dr. Irving Finegarten (Robert Preston): I could sue you for calling me that, Polly! A shyster is a disreputable lawyer. I'M a QUACK!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That's a mind-bending attempt at linear thought...but if you want to build a crazy bridge like that...:S

Really? On the one hand you have a driven, fucked up leader, denying reality and causing great harm.

On the other hand, you have ...well, the same.

Why condemn one and support the other ...and his crazy bridges.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Apparently, Nifon is NOT immune, and will be answering charges of his own, in addition to being disbarred.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

And it makes you wonder how many other DA's are out there like this, who hide evidence that would prove suspects innocent...

It appears the government routinely does this at Gitmo.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) Jun 22, 2007

An Army officer with a key role in the U.S. military hearings at Guantanamo Bay says they relied on vague and incomplete intelligence and were pressured to declare detainees "enemy combatants," often without any specific evidence.

His affidavit, released Friday, is the first criticism by a member of the military panels that determine whether detainees will continue to be held.

Lt. Col. Stephen Abraham, a 26-year veteran of military intelligence who is an Army reserve officer and a California lawyer, said military prosecutors were provided with only "generic" material that didn't hold up to the most basic legal challenges.

Despite repeated requests, intelligence agencies arbitrarily refused to provide specific information that could have helped either side in the tribunals, according to Abraham, who said he served as a main liaison between the Combat Status Review Tribunal and those intelligence agencies.

"What were purported to be specific statements of fact lacked even the most fundamental earmarks of objectively credible evidence," Abraham said in the affidavit, filed in a Washington appeals court on behalf of a Kuwaiti detainee, Fawzi al-Odah, who is challenging his classification as an "enemy combatant."

I doubt you'd object though, since the victims are brown people.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It appears the government routinely does this at Gitmo....

Ooooo:o Race baiting. It's not just for minorities. Friends of the Underclass a.k.a FOUs, can play too.

I say FOUey. :P

Does it make you feel superior to accuse another skydiver of racism because you don't agree with his politics?

It's pretty low, and so is the gutless way you make the accusation without a scintilla of evidence.

IBTL (Can we still do that?)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Does it make you feel superior to accuse another skydiver of racism because you don't agree with his politics?

It's pretty low, and so is the gutless way you make the accusation without a scintilla of evidence.

"Compare and contrast". Taught in school as the way to illustrate the existence of a double standard.

Funny how the people most upset about the Duke case are, for the most part, those that condoned the detention without charge of Padilla, and the Gitmo detainees.

"Compare and contrast". Taught in school as the way to illustrate the existence of a double standard.

Funny how the people most upset about the Duke case are, for the most part, those that condoned the detention without charge of Padilla, and the Gitmo detainees.

And this has what to do with skin color?

Since you're discussing school lessons I suggest you refresh your memory on causal links before you step on campus again professor.

The same people also objected to prosecuting Ramos and Compean illustrating how hollow your race baiting attacks are.

Coincidence - pure coincidence:D:D

One would hope anyone who professed to be trained in science would understand the inherent weakness of making vile allegations based on anecdote and fueled by your own political leanings.

My anecdote is at least as weighty as yours, at least one of them must be coincidence but the contradiction suffices to refute your race baiting attack.

You've gone out of your way for several days to make baseless allegations of racism repeatedly in several threads. You have a problem.

Maybe you're used to that kind of cheap intimidation working on the kids on campus but it reflects poorly on the race baiter around here.

One would hope anyone who professed to be trained in science would understand the inherent weakness of making vile allegations based on anecdote and fueled by your own political leanings.

I'M AGREEING WITH YOU - it is the PUREST COINCIDENCE that SC has a bunch of threads where the right protests injustices to white people like Libby and the Duke players, while maintaining a strong defense of injustices to Padilla or the Gitmo detainees. Pure coincidence.