ExAFO

AN-2

50 km/hour? that does not sound right. I jumped it many times and normal speed when out the door is 140km/h. I am pretty sure that at 50km/h it would be falling like a brick.
"Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off"
Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"

50 km/hour? that does not sound right. I jumped it many times and normal speed when out the door is 140km/h. I am pretty sure that at 50km/h it would be falling like a brick.

You gotta love wikipedia:

An interesting note from the pilot's handbook reads: "If the engine quits in instrument conditions (blind flying when you can't see the ground) or at night, the pilot should pull the control column full aft (it won't stall) and keep the wings level. The leading-edge slats will snap out at about 40 mph (64 km/h), and when the airplane slows to a forward speed of about 25 mph [40 km/h], the airplane will sink at about a parachute descent rate until the aircraft hits the ground."

The An-2 has no stall speed quoted in the operating handbooks (the stall speed being the speed at which the aircraft is travelling too slowly for the airflow over the wings to keep it aloft). Pilots of the An-2 say the aircraft can be flown in full control at 30 mph (as a contrast, a modern Cessna 4-seater light aircraft has a stall speed of around 55 mph).

It did not fall like a brick as far as I could tell from back there,we did however and after a few low speed exits the pilots were asked to speed up.

It can get slow... on my first FJC way back when, I recall seeing an airspeed of 65kph on one run... before the cut.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Fuck? http://www.apostar.de/edrw/fpf/An2D-FOKK_Oil.JPG

the huge number of aircraft available means that prices are low (from as little as $30,000 for a serviceable example

Right lads, that's 15 of us and a grand each. Next thing we need is a pilot (well I am pretty sure even a monkey can fly this!) and a big field. All we pay for jump tickets is a few quid each...yeah I can see thing happening:)
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

In the wikipedia entry listed above, it said that pilots say the AN-2 can fly as slow as 30 mph, which would be about 50 mph. Pretty impressive.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)