Lucky...

Cops are such hereos

I got ahead of myself and missed the part where she died. Warrants state 'particular' parties at a residence or business, whatever. NOT every occupant. As to how long between the announcement by the officers they were there and when the door got kicked-in well, we'd have to have been there. All we have to go by is what the press puts in their newspaper.
You know as well as I do, the cops don't 'just blow old ladies apart'. C'mon dude... gimme a break. You and I have been down this road before. Lively little thread, though.

Chuck

The fault wasn't in the police department's operational execution, nor her reaction. The fault was in the intel phase.

Just to throw the thread off on a tangent. Kinda like the intell on Iraq eh?;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

They were justified. Someone shot at them...they shoot back (no brainer!). Of course they should apologize, they fucked up and someone died. They fucked up, like has been pointed out, before they ever arrived, but someone died and three cops got shot. Looks like the war on drugs has produced more collateral damage.
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

They were justified. Someone shot at them...they shoot back (no brainer!). Of course they should apologize, they fucked up and someone died. They fucked up, like has been pointed out, before they ever arrived, but someone died and three cops got shot. Looks like the war on drugs has produced more collateral damage.

I don't know if it was them or the elderly lady who fucked up, but I still agree with your post. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

So. How do you know they were cops?***

According to the news report they announced it before they kicked the door in.

Fuckin assholes. I'd shoot em too they come kickin my door down

Then I expect to read the same kind of news report after you shoot at them. Dont be surprised when you get a round to the chest.[:/]
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Then I expect to read the same kind of news report after you shoot at them. Dont be surprised when you get a round to the chest.[:/]

Hey bro or whomeverthe fuck you are. I couldn't give a flying fuck whenever I die. This nazi racist pig shit has to stop. So they were dealing drugs maybe. You gonna shoot someone to keep em from flushing dope down the toliet. A BIG FUCK YOU. Come kick my door in and see what you get. I'll even give you my address. Asshole

Hey bro or whomeverthe fuck you are. I couldn't give a flying fuck whenever I die. This nazi racist pig shit has to stop. So they were dealing drugs maybe. You gonna shoot someone to keep em from flushing dope down the toliet. A BIG FUCK YOU. Come kick my door in and see what you get. I'll even give you my address. Asshole

They'd love you on Death Row, which is where cop-killers belong.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

No. Me thinks the killing cops belong on death row:P

You gonna shoot someone to keep em from flushing dope down the toliet.

No, but when 3 cops get shot coming through the door I have no sympathy for whoever it is doing the shooting.

Come kick my door in and see what you get. I'll even give you my address. Asshole

OOOOOH! Everybody look out! .Com Rambo on the prawl.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

You gonna shoot someone to keep em from flushing dope down the toliet.

No, but when 3 cops get shot coming through the door I have no sympathy for whoever it is doing the shooting.

Come kick my door in and see what you get. I'll even give you my address. Asshole

OOOOOH! Everybody look out! .Com Rambo on the prawl.

How old are you? LOL

Gee I hope none of the guys here who are so staunch in their rights to own and bear arms ever tries to defend THEIR home from a bunch of people who are breaking down their door...

Read the article... it was the wrong house...hope it never happens to you.

But in this atmosphere of the government is inherantly right and the rest of us are all against them.. or terrorists....then this is the inevitable outcome of a fascist government.

Gee I hope none of the guys here who are so staunch in their rights to own and bear arms ever tries to defend THEIR home from a bunch of people who are breaking down their door...

Read the article... it was the wrong house...hope it never happens to you.

But in this atmosphere of the government is inherantly right and the rest of us are all against them.. or terrorists....then this is the inevitable outcome of a fascist government.

I'm sure Elian Gonzales, the Branch Davidians and Vicky Weaver thought the same thing...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It is a lack of justice that allows cop killers (assuming the killing happened during the commission of a crime, and not in a premeditated manner) to be charged with first degree murder. What makes a cop's life more valuable than a regular civilian's? If a civilian is killed in such a manner, it is second degree murder. Cops shouldn't be special. If anything is different, the charges should be reduced, not increased, since the cops are armed and trained.

Any cop that doesn't realize that policing can be a dangerous job before joining a police force is quite simply too stupid to hold the position anyway. Suck it up and drive on, or find a new line of work. But please don't bitch about how dangerous the job is.

As for video recordings, I know of at least one Drug War freedom fighter who has remained a free man because he records all his interactions with the police. Such recording devices help keep citizens free in a police state.

For those wondering, the overwhelming majority of my interactions with the police have been negative. I have, however, met some very humble foreign police officers.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I'm sure Elian Gonzales, the Branch Davidians and Vicky Weaver thought the same thing...

Intersting you should bring that up.. since those BATF and FBI were all trained under the REAGAN and BUSH 1 Justice Department... you know 12 years.... where most of this crop of morons trained and learned what was needed to make it even more fascist.

They thought they could get away with it.. and had no reason to follow the laws of the land since they felt they ARE THE LAW of the land

You know people dress up as police officers and pretend to be them to take advantage of people too. Maybe you should shoot anyone in a police uniform, because you never know. Also while your at it, dress everyone whos dressed in Muslim style clothing, because some of them are suicide bombers.

This kind of proves the point I made in the 'stop the guns' thread. People are so happy to shoot first and ask questions later that stupid unneccesary stuff like this happens.

Regarding lying cops I can honestly say that during the 3 years I been in, I have never been with a colleague who has lied about an event or asked me to lie to cover their actions. Nor have I ever needed to lie. People are dumb enough to get themselves in trouble without any of us needing to lie about it. Just remember that people that are caught out by the police often feel agrieved and bizarrely, tell people a slight variation of what really happened when they recall an event

It is a sad state of affairs when people believe that all cops are corrupt liars. (There are some corrupt people in every profession because every profession is filled with people and some people are corrupt. That doesn't make everyone in every profession corrupt.)

PS: Have you ever gone to serve a warrant and get shot?

It is a sad state of affairs when people believe that all cops are corrupt liars.

I think they are. How about this, a cop lies, steals, etc and his buddies know, are they all culpable? Yes, cops are under a special relationship contract and if they refuse to report a crime thye are lying by omission. And if they are protecting a cop, it gets uglier. Problem is that no one will prosecute exceot in the worst cases.

Since they were shot with bullets or shot, I wonder how old the ammunition was? That's the real question

I don't think the age of the shooter is pertinent when someone is shooting at you.

The first part :S...whatever.

The last part, it would only matter if they were told of the age of teh occupant, as they could assume the senses would be off and perhaps she could have had dimmentia.

Intersting you should bring that up.. since those BATF and FBI were all trained under the REAGAN and BUSH 1 Justice Department... you know 12 years.... where most of this crop of morons trained and learned what was needed to make it even more fascist.

They thought they could get away with it.. and had no reason to follow the laws of the land since they felt they ARE THE LAW of the land

Yup, those evil fascists just COULDN'T be restrained by Clinton and Reno anymore...not to mention those military troops that murdered their way through the Davidian compound...just a rehearsal for Iraq, right?

C'mon, Jeanne....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The exclusionary rule is in place to dissuade police misconduct, so the SCOTUS ackowledges their is an inherent nature to cops lying and behaving with misconduct.

So, the lied about the gunshot wounds? Maybe they were self inflicted?

They approached a house, got shot and responded like every police department in North America would respond, as far as we can see from the current article. The fact that the lady is 92 does not change the fact that when you shoot at cops, you might end up getting shot yourself.

The exclusionary rule is only important here as a genralization of why the SCOTUS implemented it. I didn't say that woukld be the case here.

No, my friend, the courts have other linguistic measures in this case to defend teh actions of cops blowingpeople away and for admission of evidence, it is called, "The good Faith exception." If it is shown subjectively that the cops are acting in good faith, then all evidence and/or actions are admissable or excusable.

The last part, it would only matter if they were told of the age of teh occupant, as they could assume the senses would be off and perhaps she could have had dimmentia.

With regards to executing the warrant, yeah I'd agree to you, but with regardings to her shooting through her front door like a loon her bullets don't hurt any less because shes old and senile. Officers on the ground did the right thing I believe. I agree wiith whoever said the error was higher up Intel)

With regards to executing the warrant, yeah I'd agree to you, but with regardings to her shooting through her front door like a loon her bullets don't hurt any less because shes old and senile. Officers on the ground did the right thing I believe. I agree wiith whoever said the error was higher up Intel)

Paid informers are part of the problem, I think. I believe that paid informers shouldn't get their money until after a conviction... that keeps them from pointing out any old house as a drug den...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've served warrants where we've been held up gaining access and you can just hear the toilet repeatedly flushing and all the drugs going away.

Who came up with the 20 second bullshit? You might as well say "Hi, its the police, in a moment we're going to come in so if you'd like to destroy all evidence and arm yourself that'd be super" *BANG*

By the way over here if you do put someones door in and don't find anything, the police have to pay for the repairs.

Sounds like botched intelligence job or possibly someones moved recently. Believe it or not criminals like to make it hard to track them down and frequently move house so conducting warrants to find who your after isn't there anymore is quite common.

EDIT: Re-reading shows she lived there a long time.

Great reply.

See, the key here is in teh balance; evidence vs public safety/privacy. If only the courts would allow cops to kick in doors at will, we would have nearly zero crime. If the cops could never kick in doors and warrants took 2 weeks to get and they had to notify the residents first, crime would be ablaze but we would have all kinds of liberty and privacy.

So the question is: where do we strike the balance between privacy and law enforcement?

I think we are far to the side of revoking privacy for the benefit of collecting evidence. So what, the junky flushes? No or less evidence, so what? Life goes on. Kick in doors and surprise people, life ends. Do a DUI stop and hold some sap down to forcibly draw blood, get the evidence, convict. OK, so what have we done? We've brutralized some worthless drunk driver and got the conviction. NET RESULT: We're brutal and another drunk driver is convicted, who will likely drive drunk again.

This is about which way we need to tip the scales. What is our priority in the US?

Who came up with the 20 second bullshit? You might as well say "Hi, its the police, in a moment we're going to come in so if you'd like to destroy all evidence and arm yourself that'd be super" *BANG*

The SCOTUS did, but I see it isn;t adhered to. I guess invoke the good faith rule and say you forgot. It's les than 2 years old.

By the way over here if you do put someones door in and don't find anything, the police have to pay for the repairs.

I would imagine it's case by case, but I bet you have to retaina lawyer and do the 60-day rule or forget it.

Sounds like botched intelligence job or possibly someones moved recently. Believe it or not criminals like to make it hard to track them down and frequently move house so conducting warrants to find who your after isn't there anymore is quite common.

EDIT: Re-reading shows she lived there a long time.

Overzealous police work.