Gawain

Secret Service Agents Question Teen Over Bush Threat on MySpace

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/53677.html

She later replaced her page on the social networking site after learning in her eighth grade history class that such threats are a federal offense.

It was too late.

Federal authorities had found the page and placed Wilson on their checklist.

Even if she didn't know it was a crime, passion or no, advocating the death of people over what is essentially a disagreement on a single point (the war in Iraq) strikes me as that as what is the "over dose" of venomous cool-aid. No debate, no acceptance of the very freedoms that allow us all to be different, just extreme rhetoric.

Her parents were upset that the Secret Service questioned her at school. She was upset because they made her cry.

She's lucky that's all they did.:S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

At least maybe she will think before she thinks like that. It is great to see that thoise who are there to protect our president.

they do an outstanding job for what they have to go through.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

It kind of makes you wonder how many people around here are on that list. I seem to recall a few posts that were similar in nature. Although I doubt anyone took it seriously since we know better, would the SS really understand bored skydiver mentality?

Her parents were upset that the Secret Service questioned her at school. She was upset because they made her cry.

If I were the parent, I would be upset if someone interogated my kids without asking for my permission or requesting my presence first.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

If I were the parent, I would be upset if someone interogated my kids without asking for my permission or requesting my presence first.

It's not required by law, and the Secret Service did go to her house first.
Make light!

She's 14. Everybody here who didn't do something stupid they regret when they were 14 may apply for rock-hucking duty with the Lord between 9am and 5pm EST.
On the topic of her parents being pissed, I could've sworn that a parent had to be informed if law enforcement wanted to talk to a minor.
And finally, doesn't the Secret Service have something better to do than track down 14 year olds and give them classes on teh limits of the First Amendment. It seems clear that they knew she wasn't a threat, so why go through the drama of embarrassing her at school?

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/53677.html

She later replaced her page on the social networking site after learning in her eighth grade history class that such threats are a federal offense.

It was too late.

Federal authorities had found the page and placed Wilson on their checklist.

Even if she didn't know it was a crime, passion or no, advocating the death of people over what is essentially a disagreement on a single point (the war in Iraq) strikes me as that as what is the "over dose" of venomous cool-aid. No debate, no acceptance of the very freedoms that allow us all to be different, just extreme rhetoric.

She's lucky that's all they did.:S

Fuckin OLD news. Where you been?[email]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

They can catch a 14 yo yet, the k--lB-sh.net site is still up and going. Cafepress recently removed shirts that said the same and then there is a video game that can be had of the same nature. Caught the little girl though!!! But, I do agree that it is not a wise thing to do and even though I have an extreme hatred for Bush for how he screwed this country (he put an end to my medical care, reason #1) I wouldn't wish harm on him.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Those chaps have clearly got waaay too much time on their hands... If all they can do is chase kids down, whilst real [adult] criminals are at large.. This is so funny, really. :D:D

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

At least maybe she will think before she thinks like that.

Holly shit. You guys are enforcing thought-crimes now?

They have been for years... look at all the "Politically Correct" bullshit.... which is exactly what it is.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The "person" behind a web-site isn't always apparent. Would you rather that the Secret Service didn't examine every potential threat (which is something they say they don't have the luxury of doing)?
Make light!

What time of day? During school hours, when kids are at school and parents are often at work? If so, the "first try at the house" was but a pretense for doing an end-run around the parents and nailing the kid at school.

I don't have a huge problem with the interview. But they could have conducted it at 7 pm, at the house, in the presence of her parents, and away from the prying eyes of other kids and school administrators.

What time of day? During school hours, when kids are at school and parents are often at work? If so, the "first try at the house" was but a pretense for doing an end-run around the parents and nailing the kid at school.

I don't have a huge problem with the interview. But they could have conducted it at 7 pm, at the house, in the presence of her parents, and away from the prying eyes of other kids and school administrators.

I understand your point, but I think their approach at school was intended to do more than just interview the girl, but also send the message to other idealistic teenagers about how seriously such actions are interpreted.
Make light!

I understand your point, but I think their approach at school was intended to do more than just interview the girl, but also send the message to other idealistic teenagers about how seriously such actions are interpreted.

Still out of line. They're not judge and jury.

Maybe they were wanting to avoid her being texted or called by her parents that they were wanting to question her about her intents. That way they could get answers to their questions without her preparing her possible answers . :|
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Maybe they were wanting to avoid her being texted or called by her parents that they were wanting to question her about her intents. That way they could get answers to their questions without her preparing her possible answers . :|

Maybe. But they could still have avoided that by simply showing up unannounced at her home, for the first time, around 7 or 8 pm some weeknight.

Still out of line. They're not judge and jury.

I don't recall them sentancing her.
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Because they're genuinely going to foil an international plot on the President's life by grilling a 14 year old school girl about a picture she drew once??

Dangerous people come in all packages. Little kids during the vietnam war were given packages to bring to soliders.....remember what "gifts" were brought? I could really care less about this story, I find it funny that she feels her rights have been violated. She broke the law according to what our laws are, she wasnt violated she was lucky.

I am not fond of what our president is doing but I respect him as our president and I love my country. If my child drew something like that I would be furious as it is not only against the law but it is dis-respectful to our country, and our president. It is also not my intention to raise my children to seek and desire others deaths, murders or torture. I would be disappointed in myself as a parent and would be disappointed in my child. They would recieve additional lectures from me on pride of self, govt and culture.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this