warpedskydiver

Hezbollah Committed War Crimes

Lebanese military vehicles drive under a poster of Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, top, as... Amnesty: Hezbollah Committed War Crimes
Thursday, September 14, 2006 4:43 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By KATIE FRETLAND

LONDON (AP) — Hezbollah militants broke international law by firing thousands of rockets into Israel and killing dozens of civilians during the recent conflict with Israel, Amnesty International charged Thursday.

The human rights group called for a United Nations inquiry into what it called war crimes by Israel and Hezbollah, but its report focused on the actions of the Lebanese militants during the 34-day conflict.

Hezbollah launched nearly 4,000 rockets into northern Israel in July and August, killing at least 39 civilians.

The firing of rockets into urban areas in northern Israel disregarded international laws that call for distinguishing between civilian and military targets, Amnesty said.

"Targeting civilians is a war crime. There's no gray area," said Larry Cox, Amnesty's executive director in the United States.

Although Hezbollah denies targeting Israeli civilians, it fired inaccurate rockets packed with thousands of metal ball bearings to maximize harm to noncombatants, Amnesty said.

Hezbollah had no immediate comment Thursday on the Amnesty report.

The report is Amnesty's most extensive condemnation of Hezbollah since the conflict began in July. It comes after Amnesty accused Israel of violating international law with indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks on civilian targets in Lebanon. The human rights group also previously called on Hezbollah to release two kidnapped Israeli soldiers and abstain from targeting civilians.

Violence erupted between Israel and Lebanon after Hezbollah militants kidnapped two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid on July 12. The ensuing fighting left more than 1,000 people dead, mostly Lebanese civilians, UNICEF said.

A U.N.-brokered cease-fire in August quelled the violence and Israel and Hezbollah have mostly complied with the order, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said this week.

Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev said he had no doubt that the Islamic militia fired rockets in a premeditated way to kill a maximum number of civilians.

"It is also important to remember that the leaders of Hezbollah have spoken on many occasions about their desire to destroy the state of Israel," Regev said.

Amnesty plans to publish additional reports studying whether Hezbollah contributed to civilian deaths in Lebanon by purposely hiding among civilians, said Nicole Choueiry, a spokesman for Amnesty in Britain.

Israel and Lebanon reject the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands making any prosecution there unlikely.

"Targeting civilians is a war crime. There's no gray area," said Larry Cox, Amnesty's executive director in the United States.

HAHAHAHA is this fuck serious.

So we have no issue in making sure we send weapons faster so Israelis can bomb the shit out of civilians, but HezboAlah who did not start this war and was fighting Israeli occupation is the ones who are guilty.

Anyone who does not see the hypocrisy in that must where a helmet at all times.

HAHAHAHA this cracks me up.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

There is a (very large) difference between accidental collateral damage and deliberate targetting of the civilian populace.

I will equate the two as soon as Israelis start blowing themselves up in miltary targets like buses, shopping centers and restaurants.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>I will equate the two as soon as Israelis start blowing themselves up
>in miltary targets like buses, shopping centers and restaurants.

Israelis DO blow up ambulances, cars, UN outposts and apartment buildings. They use american helicopters to do so. If you want Hezbollah to do the same, then sell them american helicopters too; they'll stop blowing themselves up, and instead follow the Israeli's lead.

>I will equate the two as soon as Israelis start blowing themselves up
>in miltary targets like buses, shopping centers and restaurants.

Israelis DO blow up ambulances, cars, UN outposts and apartment buildings. They use american helicopters to do so. If you want Hezbollah to do the same, then sell them american helicopters too; they'll stop blowing themselves up, and instead follow the Israeli's lead.

Funny thing... Hezbollah doesn't seem to be having much problems getting arms for themselves... why should they need to get more from us?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Hezbollah doesn't seem to be having much problems getting arms for themselves..

Ah! I didn't know that; apparently I was misinformed. Can you please point me towards a link or something that shows their attack helicopter squadrons, and what sort of guided weaponry they are armed with?

There is a (very large) difference between accidental collateral damage and deliberate targetting of the civilian populace.

There is no such thing as "accidental collateral damage" when oneside or the other targets a building, a car, a compound or whatever that is adjacent to civilians. To target structures such as a resturuant to kill one person and "accidently" killing every innocent person inside is bullshit.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I will equate the two as soon as Israelis start blowing themselves up in miltary targets like buses, shopping centers and restaurants.

That wasn't collateral damage the Israelis deliberatly bombed civillian areas including the northern Christian suburbs of Beiruit.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I show my true colors every day.

What do you think that color is?

If you can’t see the hypocrisy your blind.

Answer me one question.
Who killed more civilians in the last war? Or as long as there has been an Isreail

If there's anything to be learned from this whole sorry affair, it is that for a militia to be successful against a modern regular military force it needs more effective weapons than the US allows its militia ("The militia of the United States shall consist of all able-bodied male citizens of the United States and all other able-bodied males who have or shall have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who shall be more than eighteen years of age, except as hereinafter provided, not more than forty-five years of age.").

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

...and what sort of guided weaponry they are armed with?

How about C-802 ASCMs?

Look, it's really not important how advanced the armaments of each side are. Precision weaponry just makes it easier to strike military and only military targets, you still have to want to not kill civilians, and care if you do. Attack helicopters, laser guided bombs, Katyusha rockets, and PBIEDs are all perfectly capable of killing military or civilian targets just the same.

I see you couldn’t answer the question. Not surprised at all.

I mean to answer the questions you would have to admit how ruthless the Israelis are and have been.
Hezboalah who we view as a ruthless terrorist organization is like mother Theresa when you compare them to our so called Allies the Israelis.

No one is saying that hezbalah are angels but they would definitely not be the first priority when it comes to War crimes. I believe Israel would be right on top or pretty close at least.

>you still have to want to not kill civilians, and care if you do.

I agree 100%. Which side killed more civilians in the recent Israeli-Hezbollah conflict?

Your question implies that the numerical answer will show which side wants to/cares more about killing civilians. I reject that completely. Why should the Israeli response be proportionate? Our response to Afghanistan after 9/11 was disproportionate. A president Gore would more likely just sent cruise missles as a response and declared it all good.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If there's anything to be learned from this whole sorry affair, it is that for a militia to be successful against a modern regular military force it needs more effective weapons than the US allows its militia ("The militia of the United States shall consist of all able-bodied male citizens of the United States and all other able-bodied males who have or shall have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who shall be more than eighteen years of age, except as hereinafter provided, not more than forty-five years of age.").

I agree 100%. I think the US militia should be allowed to legally own weaponry that would be effective against our own military in the event we had to overthrow a tyrannical government. Handguns and rifles don't make a militia "well-armed."

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)