MattM

Any truth to this video?

I just love the people that ignore where the electricity for such cars come from. Its the same with fuel cells, you have to create the hydrogen first using electricity. Where does that electricity come from?

COAL / OIL / NUCLEAR fired power plants.

It is much more efficient putting oil in cars rather than using it to create electricty which in turn is used to power cars.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Because nobody uses solar, hydro, or wind.

Those are certainly not possibilities.

Believe it or not, not everything has to run off of fossil fuels.;)

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Where does that electricity come from?

COAL / OIL / NUCLEAR fired power plants.

I have lived most of my life with the exception of the last few years off of Hydro power.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

It is much more efficient putting oil in cars rather than using it to create electricty which in turn is used to power cars.

It's a good question, but not necessarily a good position. Mass production facilities generating electricity have an edge. Then the transfer has a bit of a cost.

I bet you a :D that BV has the efficiencies down somwhere and could tell you it the car engine on fossil fuels is more efficient than just loading a battery from your wall outlet.

And, my car doesn't burn coal or uranium.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Who killed the electric car... I'd say pretty much the same person that said "no" to the Kyoto protocol. :S
»Somewhere between the lies and truths borderlines get shady.
Somewhere between the yesses and nos you can find the maybe.«

Yawn... the electric car has been around since the 1920s!!!!

good god people GWB wasn't even born yet!

I was talking about the industry, not GWB. He's just the stooge. :P
»Somewhere between the lies and truths borderlines get shady.
Somewhere between the yesses and nos you can find the maybe.«

What options to the energy crisis do we have?

Wind? Ted Kennedy, a big proponent of environmentalism, doesn't want them in his backyard. They will mess up his view of the ocean.

Hydro? God forbid, we should destroy the habitat of a rare lichen.

Nuclear? We might grow three arms and get cancer.

You can't have your cake, and eat it , too.

The level of background radiation around our local nuclear power station is lower than the levels typically found in any other environment according to the engineers I was speaking to recently doing an area survey. Probably due to being a rural coastal location and the ridiculously high (but understandable) safety regulations.

I'd rather have an efficient nuclear power station supplying my electricity than thousands of windfarms, hydro facilities etc all over the place.

I honestly believe nuclear energy is safe if all parts of the process are kept to the strict control they are now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The level of background radiation around our local nuclear power station is lower than the levels typically found in any other environment according to the engineers I was speaking to recently doing an area survey. Probably due to being a rural coastal location and the ridiculously high (but understandable) safety regulations.

I'd rather have an efficient nuclear power station supplying my electricity than thousands of windfarms, hydro facilities etc all over the place.

I honestly believe nuclear energy is safe if all parts of the process are kept to the strict control they are now.

I totally agree. my post was filled with sarcasm about the " We can't do anything because...."crowd.

I beleive our best sources of future energy are fusion (god willing), nuclear fission, and tidal power.

The problem with hydro and wind power is that there are good spots to locate them... and most of them (especially hydro) are already taken.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I beleive our best sources of future energy are fusion (god willing), nuclear fission, and tidal power

it's not 'nuclear fission', it's "natural enviro-fission"

marketing is everything. It can't be bad if it starts with natural

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ahh, my mistake. Well it reinforces what you were saying :P I do however have some concern with the waste. I understand they send our used materials to Scotland where its buried underground... which would explain a few things :D