bch7773

Gun Shows

No this isn't a whining thread about them. I just know many people in here have probably gone to them... and I can't go to gun forums because my work has blocked them.

I am going to my first (beeeeer) gun show this week, and wanted to know any tips people had. I am looking for a couple specific rifles... also the gun show is over two days... is it better to come at the beginning of the show or at the very end?

and purchasing a gun at a gun show... do i do the entire background check right then or what? Do I need any documents besides a DL? Also do most gun shows take checks or credit cards, or should I bring a lot of cash?

MB 3528, RB 1182

and purchasing a gun at a gun show... do i do the entire background check right then or what? Do I need any documents besides a DL? Also do most gun shows take checks or credit cards, or should I bring a lot of cash?

Licensed dealers must do background checks, fill out form 4473s, and file multiple-handgun-sale forms.

Under federal law unlicensed individuals can sell to people who live in the same state that they don't have reason to believe are prohibited persons. No background check is needed. Doing this as a business means a seller is committing a felony as an unlicensed dealer (this is subjective and vague).

Licensed dealers may take plastic. Private citizens may want cash. If you know what you want you'll probably get a better deal finding a local FFL who'll charge a flat fee ($25) for doing inter-state transfers and buy what you want off gunsamerica.com

is it better to come at the beginning of the show or at the very end?

This may sound obvious but since you asked....
There is really no way to know how the show is going to be. I was at a two day show on the last day a couple of years ago that was so slow vendors were having trouble covering their table fees. This was normally a pretty good show but for whatever reason had a lousy turnout. I was there to buy a shotgun and had several dealers almost begging me to buy from them. I had one guy leave his table to find me on the floor and offer me a older Winchester semi auto 12 ga. for $100
On the other hand if the show is busy and you are their looking for something in particular you may get screwed. You can often get great deal the last few hours of the show if you are flexible with your purchase. In your case I would not advise waiting.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Tip: Some people will sell rifles with bores that aren't clean. So I take a small backpack with a sectional cleaning rod and cleaning patches, and a bore light. If I see something I like that looks grungy, I ask; "you won't mind if I clean that bore up for inspection, do you?" If they don't let me clean it, I don't want the gun - the grime might be hiding worn rifling.

You might take along a sling or two to make it easier to carry around anything you buy. Lugging them miles through a convention center by hand gets old, and keeps your hands from being free to fondle the goods. Just sling them diagonally across your back and carry on.

Early or late: That's a topic of contention. The good stuff will go early, but you'll pay a higher price for it. If you wait till the end of the 2nd day, the sellers will come down on their prices. But by then, there might not be any good examples left. Depending upon the size of the show and how common the rifle is that you are looking for.

Cash: Bringing a lot of cash is dangerous for me, because it makes me want to buy a lot of stuff that I don't really need. Excercise financial discipline. ;)

So... what'cha looking for?

thanks for the tips, everyone.

I am looking at getting a SKS rifle and a russian mosin-nagant. They are good, cheap plinking and fun rifles. And there should be several dealers with these rifles.
And someone mentioned this, but I know that I can buy them online but since they will be used, I hate buying a used gun without getting to hold or inspect it. And the 1 gun place within 50 miles of me has two SKS's, both really overpriced.

MB 3528, RB 1182

bring a change of clothes for the drive home and a plastic bag. It can get smoky too so it stinks. (or at least it was 25-30 years ago)

My old man is a gunsmith and some of my best memories was loading up and having a few tables at gun shows. Seemed like everybody knew everybody else.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I have had great luck on Gunbroker.com and many people I know have also had really good dealings on both gunbroker and gunsamerica. I think your situation is far from common
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

I am looking at getting a SKS rifle and a russian mosin-nagant.

Oh yeah, there will be tons of those available - no shortage at all, no matter what time you go there. And they're so cheap already, that the prices won't change much, if at all, from Saturday to Sunday.

The SKS's you can buy new or like-new. There are many manufacturers and variations.

Mosin-Nagant's have not been made in a long time (WWII-era), so condition can vary greatly. Inspect carefully, particularly the inside of the barrel. There's a carbine version and a long-barrel version, with the carbines being the most common by far. They too have been made in many different countries, and can have interesting history.